The Student Room Group

Friends always want to go out but I am broke?

I haven't got my student finance yet and my parent has lost their job so I am not in the best of financial situations. I would love to meet my friends but they always want to go out to eat and I can't afford it at the moment so I tell them I can't make it. I don't understand why we can't go for a walk or do things which don't cost anything.

I feel too embarrassed to tell them about my financial situation :frown:
Reply 1
Have you suggested to them the things you would like to do instead?
Reply 2
Original post by peep90
Have you suggested to them the things you would like to do instead?

No because it is the birthday of one of the people in my friendsio group and they want to go to Nandos so would feel bad if everyone didn't go just because of me as it is their birthday so they should choose.
Original post by Anonymous
I haven't got my student finance yet and my parent has lost their job so I am not in the best of financial situations. I would love to meet my friends but they always want to go out to eat and I can't afford it at the moment so I tell them I can't make it. I don't understand why we can't go for a walk or do things which don't cost anything.

That’s the best time to meet true friends because real friends will go out to do simple things like a walk because what they really enjoy is your company instead of drinking to be “like the cool kids”
Reply 4
No because it is the birthday of one of the people in my friendsio group and they want to go to Nandos so would feel bad if everyone didn't go just because of me as it is their birthday so they should choose.

A student bank account isn't an option for you? Normally, you'll get interest-free overdraft.

Also, you could say you can't make the nando's thing but try and suggest meeting up another time to do something else (that you can afford) and see what they say. Good friends wouldn't hold your financial situation against you.
Reply 5
Original post by peep90
A student bank account isn't an option for you? Normally, you'll get interest-free overdraft.

Also, you could say you can't make the nando's thing but try and suggest meeting up another time to do something else (that you can afford) and see what they say. Good friends wouldn't hold your financial situation against you.

My overdraft has been fully used now
I had the same issues during my first postgrad, I told friends that I had to work or study.
Just tell your friends that you are too worried about covid to visit restaurants, use public transport or go inside other people's homes.
Reply 7
Original post by londonmyst
I had the same issues during my first postgrad, I told friends that I had to work or study.
Just tell your friends that you are too worried about covid to visit restaurants, use public transport or go inside other people's homes.

How did you manage to juggle work and studies? Was it manageable? Were your friends understanding or did your friendships suffer as a result?
Reply 8
How did you manage to juggle work and studies? Was it manageable? Were your friends understanding or did your friendships suffer as a result?

I would not advise doing this. after a while it could come off that you are just making "excuses" not to come out.

If they get that impression it could negatively affect the friendship. They may stop inviting you to things, or start rejecting things you invite them to as they are angry you never come to theirs.

I would just be honest with them.
There's only so much times you can use the "i'm studying" routine before it starts to sound fishy like "i'm washing my hair"....

I've been there before.

I know it feels embarrassing but next time just literally tell them "im broke right now so I cant make it".

Its better to be honest with your friends about your money situation, trust me on that, I learnt the hardaway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending