The Student Room Group

Can I self study a-level maths in a year?

I have a 9 at GCSE. I have brought all 4 Edexcel Textbooks and I have browsed over Year 1 and feel I can complete this section fast. If I do this in a year, the exam will be in June. When should I finish learning year 1 stuff and move onto year 2?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I have a 9 at GCSE. I have brought all 4 Edexcel Textbooks and I have browsed over Year 1 and feel I can complete this section fast. If I do this in a year, the exam will be in June. When should I finish learning year 1 stuff and move onto year 2?

Heyy !

Tbh i defo think it’s do-able... but it depends on ur situation. Are you studying other subjects or not would be the first thing to consider.

I done something similar last year and studied maths as a fourth subject on my own, but didn’t exactly spend much time studying it bc of the content in my other subjects.

If you’re studying it on it’s own or with one other subject i think that’s fine, u would just have to do so many exam style questions when u’ve understood each topic and watch so many videos. If it’s ur 3rd/4th A-level then i don’t recommend it.

I hope this helps somehow :smile:
In many schools people teach regular maths in Year 12 then move on to further maths in Year 13, so if you reckon you learn roughly as quickly as those further maths people (even if you don't take further), and you can manage the same speed teaching yourself, it's not anything impossible
Reply 3
Original post by N_fello
Heyy !

Tbh i defo think it’s do-able... but it depends on ur situation. Are you studying other subjects or not would be the first thing to consider.

I done something similar last year and studied maths as a fourth subject on my own, but didn’t exactly spend much time studying it bc of the content in my other subjects.

If you’re studying it on it’s own or with one other subject i think that’s fine, u would just have to do so many exam style questions when u’ve understood each topic and watch so many videos. If it’s ur 3rd/4th A-level then i don’t recommend it.

I hope this helps somehow :smile:

I am doing alongside two other a-levels, HOWEVER I have already learnt all the content for these and just need to revise/exam practice. Maths is the only one I will be teaching from scratch.
Reply 4
I am doing alongside two other a-levels, HOWEVER I have already learnt all the content for these and just need to revise/exam practice. Maths is the only one I will be teaching from scratch.

It's easily do-able if you're confident at maths which, if you achieved a grade 9 at GCSE, you probably are. I always found that I didn't have to put as much time and effort into maths as I did other subjects such as physics, chemistry, biology.
Reply 5
Original post by Jpw1097
It's easily do-able if you're confident at maths which, if you achieved a grade 9 at GCSE, you probably are. I always found that I didn't have to put as much time and effort into maths as I did other subjects such as physics, chemistry, biology.

Do you think I could aim for an A, or would a B/C only be possible in one year?
Reply 6

If you’re just doing exam practice for ur other subjects, and focusing on maths then u should be fine !

But instead of doing the whole of yr 1 then do the whole of year 2, i think it would be better to do topic by topic. So for example if u started trig of yr 1 u might as well go on to do yr 2 trig as well since it’s fresh in ur mind, then go on to do another topic.

And try to do the same for stats and mechanics, but i would dedicate one day a week to do each, while doing practice exam questions for a topic ur learning in pure maths. Because there’s 2 pure papers and only one combined stats and mechanics paper, if u get what i mean.
I think if u do this and r able to grasp chapters really quickly, u could definitely aim for B and even A if u do lots of exam practice.
Sorry for the long reply :smile:
Reply 7

I think an A* is achievable in one year. What optional modules are you planning on taking?

a* is definitely achievable. I did A level maths in 1 year and got an A* (however I was no self-taught) but as long as you keep up with the content no grade should be out of your reach
Reply 9
Original post by Jpw1097
I think an A* is achievable in one year. What optional modules are you planning on taking?

I’m taking the new specification, 2017 model.
Original post by armanbit58
a* is definitely achievable. I did A level maths in 1 year and got an A* (however I was no self-taught) but as long as you keep up with the content no grade should be out of your reach

Any tips for how you revised? Well done on the amazing grade! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending