The Student Room Group

Speech and Language Processing at Sheffield or Data Science at QMUL?

Hello

I recently applied to the QMUL Data Science & AI conversion MSc for a Jan 2021 start but have already been accepted to the University of Sheffield's Computer Science with Speech and Language Processing MSc.

I was just wondering if anyone has any idea about graduate employment in both cases?

I hope to be employed in London afterwards.

I am being drawn towards Sheffield as it has more of a focus on Computational Linguistics which is what I am more passionate about, however the AI looks pretty interesting.

No idea. I have no idea what to do. Help !
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by fsoc
I was just wondering if anyone has any idea about graduate employment in both cases?

Original post by fsoc
I am being drawn towards Sheffield as it has more of a focus on Computational Linguistics which is what I am more passionate about

Original post by fsoc
No idea. I have no idea what to do. Help !

Do what you enjoy.

Ai is the more in-demand, and broader, area, IMO. Language processing seems more advanced, but I'm sure that there is still interesting work to be done. An MSc is only one year though, so, depending upon your background, you don't have to be limited to only those areas in your career. IMO, computing requires you to keep learning new techniques and areas. I place much more value on problem solving and coding ability than buzz words, when hiring.
Reply 2
Original post by RogerOxon
Do what you enjoy.

Ai is the more in-demand, and broader, area, IMO. Language processing seems more advanced, but I'm sure that there is still interesting work to be done. An MSc is only one year though, so, depending upon your background, you don't have to be limited to only those areas in your career. IMO, computing requires you to keep learning new techniques and areas. I place much more value on problem solving and coding ability than buzz words, when hiring.

Thank you!!

I'm just so confused. When I applied for the QM programme I was super pumped about it and I was all 'yeah, if I get accepted it'll be so great, it's easier to fund' but now I have no idea.

And the thing is QM also has a Natural Language Processing module????? >______<
Reply 3
Hey there,

Random question, do you know when the January courses usually ends? I was wondering how it works for Masters in terms of Grad schemes.

I am looking at the QMUL course. Fingers crossed.

:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by katkeria
Hey there,

Random question, do you know when the January courses usually ends? I was wondering how it works for Masters in terms of Grad schemes.

I am looking at the QMUL course. Fingers crossed.

:smile:

Sorry this is so late! I’m assuming it’ll still be a year long, so you’d graduate in January 2022?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending