The Student Room Group

Drink driving

I know alcohol is definitely not allowed behind the wheel but can I have some pepsi whilst driving? Am I allowed to drink (non alcoholic) whilst driving?
yes..
Original post by Llllloos
yes..

But wouldn't it affect my driving, such as making me drift into another lane etc? Just want to be fully legit, I got my car insured recently and will not lose it!
Will you be necking the Pepsi as you're doing 70 down the motorway?
drink a fifth of vodka, dare you to drive
Original post by Ramipril
Will you be necking the Pepsi as you're doing 70 down the motorway?

If it's a straight piece then yes sometimes I drink my drink, but I don't think I'm supposed to? Maybe I should just wait for a red light
Original post by Zürich
drink a fifth of vodka, dare you to drive

I'm never doing alcohol when I drive, I'm sticking to pepsi or 7up
Strickly speaking, consuming food or drink while you're driving is not permitted, either whilst in motion or stopped at traffic lights... You're still technically in charge of the vehicle. Really only permitted when safely parked with the engine off.
Reply 8
Drinking and driving doesn't mean literally drinking alcohol whilst driving, it means being drunk then getting into a car and driving. You shouldn't drink anything or give your attention to anything else while driving unless you are stopped for a moment at traffic lights or in a jam.
If it’s not a driving test then you can eat or drink anything behind the wheel as long as it’s not alcohol or drugs. But you have to do it safely so not in a round about or in a junction where there’s lots of things to look out for.
Thank you I'll keep it in mind, only drinking at red lights!
Original post by Dee-Emma
Strickly speaking, consuming food or drink while you're driving is not permitted, either whilst in motion or stopped at traffic lights... You're still technically in charge of the vehicle. Really only permitted when safely parked with the engine off.

There's nothing that inherently prevents you from eating or drinking (non-alcoholic of course) while driving. Any offences you can be charged with for doing such actions are blanket offences and still need to be proved that they were causing some sort of problem.

You wouldn't get hit with a fine for taking a swig while you're stopped at a light because it'd be near impossible to prove you were driving without due care (most likely the offence that would be used to charge you for such actions). If you were driving and were clearly in full control of your vehicle, again, I suspect they'd have a hard time if you were to take it to court.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending