The Student Room Group

Why are they easing covid restrictions for xmas?

They didn't for other celebrations like Diwali, eid, bonfire night etc. They say the uk is a multicultural society but it isn't really. They only care about Christians, they're going to ease restrictions so people can celebrate Christmas with their families but they didn't do that for other religions. Like we get 2 weeks off for Christmas/new year and other religions only get one day. If one day is enough for them then one day is enough for Christmas too.
I think it’s cause mostly everyone celebrates Christmas even non Christians
Original post by Anonymous
They didn't for other celebrations like Diwali, eid, bonfire night etc. They say the uk is a multicultural society but it isn't really. They only care about Christians, they're going to ease restrictions so people can celebrate Christmas with their families but they didn't do that for other religions. Like we get 2 weeks off for Christmas/new year and other religions only get one day. If one day is enough for them then one day is enough for Christmas too.

Because for the most part it is a Christian country. It also coincides with the end of lockdown. Many non Christians celebrate Christmas as well far more than Diwali. Do you live in the UK do you know any British history? If you dont like getting holiday for Christmas, then turn it down. I believe actual holiday is just Christmas and Boxing day plus NY. You sound very frustrated.
I’m not Christian but I still celebrate it coz it’s fun and I’ve always celebrated due to school and stuff. But honestly, I don’t think this year was the year to lift COVID restrictions for a couple of days, I feel like the COVID infections would spike up.
Quite a pointless thread. Coronavirus will be off for those few days celebrating Christmas, when we are done with the festive period it will return again.
for the people saying we should ease restrictions for christmas bc more people celebrate it, is that not more reason to NOT ease restrictions? more people celebrate it so more households will be mixing = more cases.
Reply 6
Restrictions should not be eased on the sole basis of how many people celebrate it in the first place. Look at the US after their Thanksgiving. Half the country threw out any sort of common sense and got together with family members, since then there has been a drastic rise in cases throughout. Some states have closed schools again and are preparing for the possibility of a second lockdown. If the UK follows suit at Christmas we are going to see a similar surge.
Fundamentally because they are less important to the vast majority of people and there is the matter of bank holidays which are baked pretty deep into our laws and culture.
Original post by brokestudent3
for the people saying we should ease restrictions for christmas bc more people celebrate it, is that not more reason to NOT ease restrictions? more people celebrate it so more households will be mixing = more cases.

People are just going to break the law anyway, easier to give the police a rest.
Original post by Moonlight rain
I think it’s cause mostly everyone celebrates Christmas even non Christians

The cynic in me would say that sadly, the government has weighted up the options and believes they would get more flack from stopping Xmas than allowing thousands more to die.
Agree, OP. But I think people would mix households even if restrictions weren't lifted as a lot of people are inherently selfish. At least by lifting restrictions themselves, the government still has some sort of control over households mixing.
I would disagree that this is due to a cultural issue. I think that the Corona-virus restrictions are getting relaxed because of the economy boom that occurs every Christmas: people buying gifts, arranging parties, shopping in general etc. Or maybe they're just using Christmas as a landmark to get the country going again. Who knows?
You can surely understand this - to claim to fail to understand this is really quite ignorant of you. The UK as a whole celebrates Christmas with an almost collective fervency. Christmas has evolved to be more than simply a religious festival for Christians, I'm an atheist and I partake in the celebrations and the coming together of my family, the sharing of a meal and the giving of gifts - it's a well-needed source of respite for many people and regardless of government support people are going to do it anyway.

Christmas is the most popular religious festival in the UK and has been celebrated in this country since the epoch of Christianity's popularity here and before that celebrated as the Yuletide festival. It is a deeply cultural thing for the British people and to claim anything otherwise is simply ignorant for the sake of ignorance. You know full well why Christmas has been given priority and you are choosing to make it religious - Christmas is more than Christianity and has been for at least 50 years now. It's about family and culture, an essential part of life for so many people in this country.

In regards to coronavirus specifically - given the importance of this to many people, as I said before, they will simply break the rules anyway - hence they have been legislated for.
(edited 3 years ago)
Multicultural? Um, the UK is a British country that merely tolerates the integration of other cultural elements so long as the compatibility is there. In regards to easing COVID restrictions for Christmas, well, Christmas is an important part of British culture and I assume that most people celebrate it so, yes, they eased the restrictions for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending