The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zuvio
You know that most people who die are either old, or in accidents, meaning that their organs are unusable anyway. It would be a real waste of time for everyone to devote time to a decision that will never matter, and they will definitely never know the outcome of. Plus, most people are stupid, so if you get them to think about it, they'll probably freak out and say no. They are incapable of actually understanding the ramifications of their actions.

So you want to actively exclude people from the decision because 'most people are stupid'?

I would rather make people try to understand the ramifications and make their own decision than the state step in and hope they don't notice.
Reply 81
Original post by ThomH97
So you want to actively exclude people from the decision because 'most people are stupid'?

I would rather make people try to understand the ramifications and make their own decision than the state step in and hope they don't notice.

What ramifications? They are DEAD. It has no effect on them what is done to their corpse. And honestly, it makes me a little uncomfortable to think about some doctor cutting me open and pulling out my organs, so I imagine that people with less self control would, as I said before, just freak out and opt out. If you want to go around and intensely educate everyone on exactly what will happen, fine, but that's not going to happen. As it is, most people won't understand the decision they are making, so they are not thinking about it properly.
And this isn't being kept quiet or anything, I found out by watching an advert on national TV.
Original post by Ne en mia nomo
And it's a rational response to all the inequality I endured & witnessed.

I don't think you know what that word means.
Original post by Zuvio
What ramifications? They are DEAD. It has no effect on them what is done to their corpse. And honestly, it makes me a little uncomfortable to think about some doctor cutting me open and pulling out my organs, so I imagine that people with less self control would, as I said before, just freak out and opt out. If you want to go around and intensely educate everyone on exactly what will happen, fine, but that's not going to happen. As it is, most people won't understand the decision they are making, so they are not thinking about it properly.
And this isn't being kept quiet or anything, I found out by watching an advert on national TV.

The ramifications that you spoke of in post 66 that I quoted.

We don't need to individually educate everyone, just have the relevant information on a .gov website and make them decide. If they don't understand then they should try to, organ transplants aren't a difficult concept to understand, and any adult should understand the concept of a dead body (even if they think their spirit lives on afterwards).

Do you think someone could have a legitimate reason to not be a donor? You call it 'freaking out', but as long as they have time to consider their decision and still don't want to, why should they make their organs available?
Reply 84
Original post by ThomH97
The ramifications that you spoke of in post 66 that I quoted.

We don't need to individually educate everyone, just have the relevant information on a .gov website and make them decide. If they don't understand then they should try to, organ transplants aren't a difficult concept to understand, and any adult should understand the concept of a dead body (even if they think their spirit lives on afterwards).

Do you think someone could have a legitimate reason to not be a donor? You call it 'freaking out', but as long as they have time to consider their decision and still don't want to, why should they make their organs available?

What I said in that post was in response to a sexist. I was explaining why the doctors would choose carefully who to give the organs to. The fact that is might not work is not a reason. That's like if you saw a homeless kid starving on the street, and you have some food that you're about to throw away, but you don't give it to him because he might be allergic.

Exactly, adults should understand... but they don't! The fact that anyone would choose to opt out proves that they are either spiteful, or delusional. What legitimate reason? They are dead, they don't need them, the body is NOT THEM. They are gone, and what is left behind is some resources we can use to save lives. Why should the opinion of some random, irrelevant person matter.
Reply 85
At the very least, those who are choosing to opt out should be put at the back of the queue for any medical procedures they need. If they choose to be a selfish ****, they should be left til last.
Original post by Zuvio
At the very least, those who are choosing to opt out should be put at the back of the queue for any medical procedures they need. If they choose to be a selfish ****, they should be left til last.

Does it not depend on why they're opting out? And since there's no "...why?" section on the opt out questionnaire, that's a nope.

And, "any"? So, someone opting out of being an organ donor shouldn't get a broken finger looked at...?
No I don't agree with the new system. We shouldn't all automatically be on the organ donor list because not everyone wants to donate and they've done this secretly, loads of people won't know about it and when they die their organs will be donated without their consent and knowledge. I'm a Muslim and organ donation is not within my beliefs. The body should not be touched after death or have anything removed from it. It should be respected and laid to rest intact not cut open and butchered as if it was nothing. Even if I wasn't Muslim I would not donate, there are plenty of people who want to donate and can save lives if they want to. I want to keep my organs because they're mine. I will have to get my name off that register now. How do I do that? Can I do it through my gp or will I need to apply to get my name removed?
Original post by Anonymous
No I don't agree with the new system. We shouldn't all automatically be on the organ donor list because not everyone wants to donate and they've done this secretly, loads of people won't know about it and when they die their organs will be donated without their consent and knowledge. I'm a Muslim and organ donation is not within my beliefs. The body should not be touched after death or have anything removed from it. It should be respected and laid to rest intact not cut open and butchered as if it was nothing. Even if I wasn't Muslim I would not donate, there are plenty of people who want to donate and can save lives if they want to. I want to keep my organs because they're mine. I will have to get my name off that register now. How do I do that? Can I do it through my gp or will I need to apply to get my name removed?

https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/register-your-decision/do-not-donate/

It really wasn’t secret.
(edited 3 years ago)

It wasn't a secret, you just weren't paying attention.
... they've done this secretly, loads of people won't know about it and when they die their organs will be donated without their consent and knowledge.

86.9% of respondees to the poll on this thread knew about it. It has been debated publicly for many years now. As above, they advertised it on tv when the change was coming in, there was a year long campaign. I think you are equating "I have not heard about this before" with "there has been no attempt to tell people about this". baby.bear has provided a link for you to opt out if you wish.
Original post by Drewski
Does it not depend on why they're opting out? And since there's no "...why?" section on the opt out questionnaire, that's a nope.

And, "any"? So, someone opting out of being an organ donor shouldn't get a broken finger looked at...?

I can't think of a reason that would be more valid than another. That said, I wouldn't penalise them for not signing up - they'd still be eligible for organ donations themselves - though obviously they'd be morally bankrupt if they got one.
Reply 92

You can't possibly judge what decision you would make if you weren't Muslim. It is a part of who you are, if you weren't, you would not be YOU, you would be someone else. And the person's family still has the power to refuse it.
Yes, plenty of people want to donate, but there are also many people who don't really care either way, so they would never bother signing up to an opt in system. This way, we can still save lives, rather than letting people die just because we're not sure what they would have said.
Also, you are misinterpreting what islam actually is;
https://www.giftoflife.on.ca/resources/pdf/Islamic%20Brochure%20EN%202019.pdf
And it really wasn't secret.
Reply 93
Original post by Zuvio
A corpse is an inanimate object, part of which may save someone's life. What does the opinion of the person who used to inhabit it matter?

So by this logic if a woman died a random guy should be able to rape her corpse. After all, what does the opinion of whoever used to inhabit said corpse matter?
Original post by Ne en mia nomo
I really don't like the idea that I have no say in who can get my organs once I'm gone.
Doctors usually prioritize younger patients over older ones and it gives them the power over life and death, of which I'm not comfortable with. I think it should be "first come first served".
I also don't want men to receive my organs, because many of them have already unfairly benefited of my existence (unpaid work, stolen ideas), and I don't want them to take advantage of my death as well. Yeah, I'm sexist like that.

Seek therapy luv x
Reply 94
Original post by Mikos
So by this logic if a woman died a random guy should be able to rape her corpse. After all, what does the opinion of whoever used to inhabit said corpse matter?

I don't believe that it should be counted as rape, or should be taken as any act against her. It should not be considered a crime, but instead demonstrate that there is something wrong in this guy's head, and he needs help. It doesn't affect her, so no, her opinion shouldn't matter.
Yeah, I would donate but I've been told I'm not allowed.
Original post by Compost
I can't think of a reason that would be more valid than another. That said, I wouldn't penalise them for not signing up - they'd still be eligible for organ donations themselves - though obviously they'd be morally bankrupt if they got one.

I know some religions forbid blood or organ donation, for example.
And some people would be restricted from donating based on medical grounds, so opt out by default.
Reply 97
Original post by Pathway
Yeah, I would donate but I've been told I'm not allowed.

Is that due to medical reasons?

Original post by Drewski
I know some religions forbid blood or organ donation, for example.
And some people would be restricted from donating based on medical grounds, so opt out by default.

They choose to follow that religion! They are choosing to opt out! that doesn't make it more valid.
Obviously if there are medical reasons that your organs can't be used, that isn't your choice, so you shouldn't be punished for that.

Original post by Drewski

I said put at the back of the queue, not that we'd never get to them. But the fact of the matter is, they are choosing to withhold something that is completely worthless to them, but could save someone else's life. Why should they get any treatment?
Original post by Zuvio
They choose to follow that religion! They are choosing to opt out! that doesn't make it more valid.
Obviously if there are medical reasons that your organs can't be used, that isn't your choice, so you shouldn't be punished for that.

But there's no system in place that asks why you've opted out, so either we treat everyone like they've chosen to opt out because they don't like it, or we treat everyone like they've chosen to opt out because they can't.

As someone who claims to be coming at it from a compassionate point of view, which do you go with?
Reply 99
Original post by Drewski
But there's no system in place that asks why you've opted out, so either we treat everyone like they've chosen to opt out because they don't like it, or we treat everyone like they've chosen to opt out because they can't.

As someone who claims to be coming at it from a compassionate point of view, which do you go with?

Why would someone who was exempt for medical reasons bother opting out? Surely it is already in their record that they have whatever they have, so the doctors can look at that, rather than an opt out decision.

Latest