The Student Room Group

Weight loss & constipation

I’m in the process of loosing weight but I feel like since i started i’ve got constipated. I haven’t cut much from my diet i’ve just stopped excessively eating junk and broke out of a binge eating disorder. I think i eat a decent amount of fibre from fruits and veggies. It’s not severe I do go every few days but before starting to loose weight it used to be every day. I drink a decent amount of water too (minimum 2L a day). I eat yoghurt broccoli apples pears oranges all kinds of greens sweet potato chicken avocado etc i haven’t cut anything out of my diet i’m getting carbs protein and fat soooo not really sure what’s up? i do go every few days but gotta STRAIN lmao
Reply 1
Look at the carbs; are you having wholemeal/wholegrain with things like cereals, bread, pasta and rice?
It's probably just due to you cutting down the volume of food you are eating. How much fibre are you getting?
Reply 3
Original post by Surnia
Look at the carbs; are you having wholemeal/wholegrain with things like cereals, bread, pasta and rice?

my carbs usually come from wholemeal bread/tortillas
Reply 4
Original post by black tea
It's probably just due to you cutting down the volume of food you are eating. How much fibre are you getting?

true, i don’t know the exact amount of fibre i eat but i have it in every meal
Original post by 14t

Mist people don't have enough, tbh. You could always buy a laxative to help with the constipation if you don't want to add anything extra to your diet (you can get high fibre ones like Fybogel that help to draw water into your gut and your stools so you don't have to strain as much)
Reply 6
Original post by 14t
my carbs usually come from wholemeal bread/tortillas

Original post by 14t

But in what form at every meal? What do you usually have for your meals that you count as fibre?
Reply 7
Original post by Surnia
But in what form at every meal? What do you usually have for your meals that you count as fibre?

pears, apple, strawberries , avocado, raspberries banana blueberries carrot broccoli tomato kale spinach edemame lentils oats chia seeds almonds sweet potato. obviously i don’t eat ALL of that every day but over the course of a week i incorporate those foods into my diet every day
Reply 8
Original post by 14t
pears, apple, strawberries , avocado, raspberries banana blueberries carrot broccoli tomato kale spinach edemame lentils oats chia seeds almonds sweet potato. obviously i don’t eat ALL of that every day but over the course of a week i incorporate those foods into my diet every day

Try wholegrain cereal for breakfast, and get some brown rice and pasta in there too. Having seen your other threads it could be that your body is still adapting to a change in diet. Consult your GP if it becomes a regular thing as you shouldn't need to be taking anything on a regular basis to help with constipation.

Well done on changing your life and all the best!
Original post by Surnia
Consult your GP if it becomes a regular thing as you shouldn't need to be taking anything on a regular basis to help with constipation.

Many people do!

Quick Reply

Latest