The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Please please do not do this! Weight loss is suppose to happen slowly for it to be healthy - for healthy weight loss you should loose a maximum of 2lbs a week. Eating this few calories a day will make you extremely fatigued and you will not be able to concentrate, nor function, as well. Food is so important in helping to fuel your brain, as well as your body, and this is essential. If you’re looking to loose weight, look into intuitive eating and calorie deficit and check the NHS website for exercise guidance. An amazing Instagram account that may help is @madeformefitness :smile:
Original post by Annoynomous1998
Hi
I’m 22 , girl and 5ft 4 currently weighing about 152lbs .
Can anyone one calculate how much weight I’d loose if I ate 800cals a day .
I know this isn’t sustainable or particularly healthy but I’m looking to loose weight quickly so if only be sticking to it a couple weeks if that then I’d up the calories but still be in a deficit .
So yeah anyone know how quick and how much l loose eating 800cals a day ?
Thanks

please don't do this... it is unfortunately only going to lead to a yo-yo of losing weight and then gaining weight.
as you said it isn't sustainable nor is it healthy - you put yourself at risk of malnutrition if im not mistaken with so few calories and your body is going to go into "starvation mode" which will ultimately lead to weight gain.

the nhs advises is you plan on going on a low calorie dies (ie 800kcal a day) you should speak to your gp.

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/very-low-calorie-diets/
Hi
I know this isn’t sustainable or particularly healthy but I’m looking to loose weight quickly so if only be sticking to it a couple weeks if that then I’d up the calories but still be in a deficit .
Thanks

If this is your first time taking such a drastic approach, you will likely lose 3-5 pounds a week. For up to 6-8 months. After that, your body will start to consume whatever muscle you have left in you.
800kcal is stupid unless you’re told you have to by a doctor or if you’re 40 stone don’t do it.
Reply 5
Hi
Thanks

That's not enough food.

I honestly wouldn't recommend the calorie counting approach.

Why is it so important for you to lose weight within the next 2 weeks?

It would be better for you to increase the amount of fruit and vegetables you are eating and have skimmed milk and wholemeal bread.
As a 17 year old girl with body image issues, for the people saying eating this low calorie diet ‘worked wonders’, this is so damaging. I’m already half convinced to do it even though I know it is so unhealthy. The problem here is even though I’m aware it’s unhealthy, unsustainable and would only plan on doing it for a short time, when you’re stuck in that headspace you go “just another week” and the cycle continues.

So I’m asking, if you are not a doctor, do not give advice on diet at all. It is extremely dangerous. Even if your intentions are good.

I can only appreciate the level headed people in this thread for arguing the other side of this, otherwise I would have decided I was going to do this.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Sabertooth
I wish. :frown:

Finding the right diet for you is a journey but if you body is used to you binging and you stop binging then you have to eat less so therefore lose weight. I found low carb the easiest to follow so I just watch that i eat a sensible amount everyday and I keep a healthy weight. If that doesn’t work for you then perhaps you have a metabolic issue or are binging on more than one thing. It’s impossible to eat less than you expend and not lose weight.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by FingersXedAgain
Finding the right diet for you is a journey but if you body is used to you binging and you stop binging then you have to eat less so therefore lose weight. I found low carb the easiest to follow so I just watch that i está a sensible amount everyday and I keep a healthy weight. If that doesn’t work for you then perhaps you have a metabolic issue or are binging ok more than one thing. It’s impossible to eat less than you expend and not lose weight.

I have thyroid issues and take medication that messes with my metabolism. It's not simply a case of don't binge and I'll lose weight. I eat around 1400 calories a day and weigh 225lbs. I've been reading this thread and am very tempted to try this 800 calorie diet because it seems like nothing I do makes me lose weight but I'm weighing up what you and the other poster have said too about it being so unhealthy so I'm not really sure what to do. :colondollar: I just want to lose weight so badly but it's like nothing ever works. :frown: Anyway, that's why I said "I wish" - I don't binge, I eat healthily and yet I'm still a fat ****.
Original post by Aethomson
As a 17 year old girl with body image issues, for the people saying eating this low calorie diet ‘worked wonders’, this is so damaging. I’m already half convinced to do it even though I know it is so unhealthy. The problem here is even though I’m aware it’s unhealthy, unsustainable and would only plan on doing it for a short time, when you’re stuck in that headspace you go “just another week” and the cycle continues.

So I’m asking, if you are not a doctor, do not give advice on diet at all. It is extremely dangerous. Even if your intentions are good.

I can only appreciate the level headed people in this thread for arguing the other side of this, otherwise I would have decided I was going to do this.

Please don't listen to this person. It's nothing but a slow suicide long term.
I have thyroid issues and take medication that messes with my metabolism. It's not simply a case of don't binge and I'll lose weight. I eat around 1400 calories a day and weigh 225lbs. I've been reading this thread and am very tempted to try this 800 calorie diet because it seems like nothing I do makes me lose weight but I'm weighing up what you and the other poster have said too about it being so unhealthy so I'm not really sure what to do. :colondollar: I just want to lose weight so badly but it's like nothing ever works. :frown: Anyway, that's why I said "I wish" - I don't binge, I eat healthily and yet I'm still a fat ****.

Yes it’s hard because you have to find what it is that you did that isn’t working. And that’s a process of elimination. I did low carb but that only works if you are dedicated to counting carbs (even all the secret ones). I also suggest that a little exercise goes a long way. The poster doesn’t exercise so she basically didn’t get any fitness. Fitness and in particular weight bearing exercises increase your base metabolic rate (the rare at which you burn cals just sitting down).
Original post by AnotherRandom
Please don't listen to this person. It's nothing but a slow suicide long term.

I’m genuinely thankful that people with some sense have tried reasoning with this person, to no avail. I just hope other vulnerable people do not come into contact with this person.
Original post by fingersxedagain
you fell off the wagon because your diet was not sustainable. Again, i have anxiety and depression and put on 0lbs over lockdown. I did that despite shielding and not leaving the house in 10 months. Why? Because my diet is sustainable.

thank you!
Original post by FingersXedAgain
Yes it’s hard because you have to find what it is that you did that isn’t working. And that’s a process of elimination. I did low carb but that only works if you are dedicated to counting carbs (even all the secret ones). I also suggest that a little exercise goes a long way. The poster doesn’t exercise so she basically didn’t get any fitness. Fitness and in particular weight bearing exercises increase your base metabolic rate (the rare at which you burn cals just sitting down).

I have no idea why it isn't working. I have tried counting calories but never going below 1200 as I heard it's really bad for you, but it my medication is messing with me so much maybe 800 would work. I walk around 3 miles a day at a pace which leaves me out of breath, the gym nearby is closed due to covid but I just don't get why the weight isn't coming off. It makes me feel so ****ing depressed.
I have no idea why it isn't working. I have tried counting calories but never going below 1200 as I heard it's really bad for you, but it my medication is messing with me so much maybe 800 would work. I walk around 3 miles a day at a pace which leaves me out of breath, the gym nearby is closed due to covid but I just don't get why the weight isn't coming off. It makes me feel so ****ing depressed.

I think as you have exacerbating medical issues that you need to speak to your GP in case it’s to do with your thyroid medicine.

Definitely try that first before doing extreme. I promise it will happen for you. It’s just a waiting game and trying different things.
(edited 3 years ago)
Starving yourself will just lead to binging and a very unhealthy relationship with food. Don’t do it.

I'm no doctor or have any experience with thyroid problems. Here are some general tips you can try but yet again I do not know anything about thyroids these are just general tips.

1) Drink lots of water at least 3L a day
2) Fill plates with fruit and veg and eat more protein you can even try searching for low-calorie dense meals
3) Get 7000-10000 steps this burns calories while being low impact for your body
4) Small changes add up if you add sugar to tea reduce the sugar or replace with 0 calorie sweetener, when shopping park a bit further, instead of taking the elevator or escalators walk if its an option.

Once again I am no medical professional so if you're struggling with thyroid problems a GP or doctor would be a better option.
I’m genuinely thankful that people with some sense have tried reasoning with this person, to no avail. I just hope other vulnerable people do not come into contact with this person.

Stick to a small deficit and lose weight the longer healthier way, your body will be thankful that you haven't followed their advice.
Original post by AnotherRandom
Stick to a small deficit and lose weight the longer healthier way, your body will be thankful that you haven't followed their advice.

Yes I’m trying my best! :smile:
Yes I’m trying my best! :smile:

Yes well done! good luck!

Latest