The Student Room Group

Is my exercise enough to lose weight?

I am currently 89.8kg, 5”3 and 18. So my BMI says I am obese.

I currently exercise 3 days a week. I exercise on my stationary bike I bought this year. I cycle for 4.5 miles in 20 minutes.

Is this enough?

Scroll to see replies

How long have you been doing this for?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
How long have you been doing this for?

This is my third week
This is my third week

do you see any progress?
Reply 4
do you see any progress?

That’s what I’m stuck on. It’s weird. I lost a kg in the 2 weeks I done it. But upon weighing myself again it looks like I’ve put the kg back on. I won’t know whether that’s because my weight fluctuated or if I have just put it back on.

I was wondering whether or not I am doing enough with my exercise
That’s what I’m stuck on. It’s weird. I lost a kg in the 2 weeks I done it. But upon weighing myself again it looks like I’ve put the kg back on. I won’t know whether that’s because my weight fluctuated or if I have just put it back on.

I was wondering whether or not I am doing enough with my exercise

don’t overwork yourself! try doing a calorie deficit if you can
Get at least 150 minutes of moderate aerobic activity or 75 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity a week, or a combination of moderate and vigorous activity. The guidelines suggest that you spread out this exercise during the course of a week. Greater amounts of exercise will provide even greater health benefit.
I am currently 89.8kg, 5”3 and 18. So my BMI says I am obese.

I currently exercise 3 days a week. I exercise on my stationary bike I bought this year. I cycle for 4.5 miles in 20 minutes.

Is this enough?

It might be all that you can manage at the moment but you will need to build up - 20 mins 3 times a week is not going to be enough to make a lot of difference. Have you looked at your diet - reducing calories in partnership with increasing exercise is the way to go.
Reply 8
Original post by ReadingMum
It might be all that you can manage at the moment but you will need to build up - 20 mins 3 times a week is not going to be enough to make a lot of difference. Have you looked at your diet - reducing calories in partnership with increasing exercise is the way to go.

Thanks, I’ve been trying to increase the intensity each week. But maybe I should focus more on the duration?
Thanks, I’ve been trying to increase the intensity each week. But maybe I should focus more on the duration?

I would say both - sometimes sprint to get the heart really pumping, other times go for longer at a steady pace to work the muscles and improve stamina.
Cardio won't dictate if you lose weight or not. A caloric deficit will.
The exercise sounds good, you could also walk more and always have a rest day. I think you will get more results from eating less though.
Original post by xandra_sky
The exercise sounds good, you could also walk more and always have a rest day. I think you will get more results from eating less though.

Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
Cardio won't dictate if you lose weight or not. A caloric deficit will.

Thanks guys, I think I need to avoid more carbs? For breakfast I am struggling. I like the idea of a sachet of quakers oats? Should I avoid these are they okay?
A calorie deficit is going to be the most helpful thing, by reducing your diet by 500 calories every day (as a minimum) will let you see some results.

Also, try to get some steps in, it's great cardio, especially on rest days. Aim for whatever you can manage, but at least more than you're currently doing. So if you're only doing 3000 daily steps, do 5000 and keep building that up (ie 2000 extra steps after a month).

I've lost over a stone since January 1st, and I'm still going strong!
Thanks guys, I think I need to avoid more carbs? For breakfast I am struggling. I like the idea of a sachet of quakers oats? Should I avoid these are they okay?

Carbs are fine, you just have to reduce overall intake of food if you aren't losing weight rn.
Original post by arannlear
A calorie deficit is going to be the most helpful thing, by reducing your diet by 500 calories every day (as a minimum) will let you see some results.

Also, try to get some steps in, it's great cardio, especially on rest days. Aim for whatever you can manage, but at least more than you're currently doing. So if you're only doing 3000 daily steps, do 5000 and keep building that up (ie 2000 extra steps after a month).

I've lost over a stone since January 1st, and I'm still going strong!

Congratulations! That’s incredible
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
Carbs are fine, you just have to reduce overall intake of food if you aren't losing weight rn.

Thank you!

oats are good as long as you don't cover them in sugar/syrup. Although expensive compared to buying a normal bag of oats, the sachets do have the advantage of enforced portion control.
It's unlikely that you will lose weight just by exercising, in fact sometimes increased cardio exercise can just make you feel more hungry. The exercise will be great for your health, but to lose weight, you need to look at what you are eating mainly.
Perhaps also think about weight training, even body weight, as increased muscle has been shown to help burn more calories overall, even when at rest.
Maybe don't cut out whole food groups, such as carbs, but aim for quality carbs over things like white bread and pasta. Also protein can help you feel fuller for longer.
I read a great book called 'Feel Great Lose Weight' by Dr Rangan Chatterjee which is not a traditional diet book, it looks at the reasons why we eat and gives good tips on changing habits.
All the best to you.
Reply 19
Hi, I would suggest looking at your diet, mainly the number of calories you are eating each day.
You don't need to cut any food groups from your diet but changing little things can make a world of difference.
Such as when you cook use frylite or versions like that, low calorie/low-fat milks and cheeses, etc, just switching to these things can alone bring your calories down.
Maintaining a calorie deficit, try an app called my fitness pal, it helps you log what foods you eat each day and keep you hitting your calorie goals.
Calories are basically just energy so that's why they say abs are made in the kitchen and not by the amount of exercise.
You are doing amazing with the 3 times a week, keep at it. Losing weight can be a long hard journey and will take quite some time before you see the scale move loads or see a big physical change in yourself, but they will come with consistency.
One last thing, keep hydrated, get your 7-8 hours sleep each night, and don't put yourself down if you make mistakes with your diet.
You got this and I wish you the best.

Quick Reply

Latest