The Student Room Group

How much do you know about abortion?

Do you think that an abortion at 3 or 5 months is just terminating a ball of cells? Do you know that it is a foetus by this point that has limbs and can open its mouth. Do you know at 5 months a foetus has fingernails and can suck it's thumb.

I am just wondering about people's levels of knowledge, because the phrase "just a ball of cells" is bandied around a lot, and it isn't a ball of cells past the first few weeks, and abortions aren't usually done at this stage, they are usually done between 9 and 12 weeks.
An abortion has to be done by 24 weeks usually and by that stage the foetus is actually a human being .
An abortion of it happenening for health reason can be done at any stage of the pregnancy ok.
Take read of attached document I put on as its gives you some insight.
I'm a qualified nurse & midwife

Screenshot_2021-02-11-19-11-09.png
A better idea than most. I also know that 9 out of 10 abortions in the UK are carried out under 13 weeks so yes, in most cases it really is just a vaguely human-shaped ball of cells.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
A better idea than most. I also know that 9 out of 10 abortions in the UK are carried out under 13 weeks so yes, in most cases it really is just a vaguely human-shaped ball of cells.

That's about 3 months pregnant and as the nurse above said, there are the beginnings of the limbs and face and important human structures. so it is vaguely human but it isn't a ball of cells. The ball of cells is a zygote. A developing arm with blood vessels, nerves and skin isn't just a blob of cells.
That's about 3 months pregnant and as the nurse above said, there are the beginnings of the limbs and face and important human structures. so it is vaguely human but it isn't a ball of cells.

So what? Does it matter? It would still not survive if it was lost through miscarriage.
Reply 5
So what? Does it matter? It would still not survive if it was lost through miscarriage.

Miscarriage is not an action of a human being, therefore it's not a moral question. If someone aborted you how would you feel if they just said "so what does it matter." Some people have survived abortion and lived to tell the tale, and they feel strongly how wrong it is.
Miscarriage is not an action of a human being, therefore it's not a moral question. If someone aborted you how would you feel if they just said "so what does it matter." Some people have survived abortion and lived to tell the tale, and they feel strongly how wrong it is.

I mean, I wouldn't be here so how would I know or care? And yes, I would rather be aborted than be born and be neglected and abused because my parents never wanted me and don't give a **** about me. Many people who have survived abuse and neglect feel the same.
I don't see what it should matter how formed the foetus or baby or whatever you want to call it is. You are clearly talking about the morality of abortion but really you should be asking if you think it is okay to force a woman to be pregnant and give birth when she doesn't want to. Regardless of a persons reason for having an abortion pregnancy can mess you up, people regularly die and or have life long complications from being pregnant / giving birth.
At 24 weeks the baby can survive outside of the womb which is why I don't understand people who say 'you're a hypocrite if you believe abortion is wrong'. A baby at 23 weeks 4 days can be aborted but if it's born at 24 then the doctors will try to save it.
How can a matter of days turn you from a 'clump of cells' to a human?
At only a few weeks old the baby has a heartbeat and can feel PAIN, so abortion is not only immoral but it is torture for it.
A documentary showed a baby having it's mouth open wide (as if screaming silently) after just being aborted wayyy before 24 weeks. This is why I don't have any respect for those who genuinely support it and attack those who don't.
At 24 weeks the baby can survive outside of the womb which is why I don't understand people who say 'you're a hypocrite if you believe abortion is wrong'. A baby at 23 weeks 4 days can be aborted but if it's born at 24 then the doctors will try to save it.
At only a few weeks old the baby has a heartbeat and can feel PAIN, so abortion is not only immoral but it is torture for it.
A documentary showed a baby having it's mouth open wide (as if screaming silently) after just being aborted wayyy before 24 weeks. This is why I don't have any respect for those who genuinely support it and attack those who don't.

I forgot to add that so many people argue that it is for the mother's own wellbeing - in most cases it's irresponsibility and failure to face the consequences. If you've chosen to do the deed, tough, it's all on you.

Only 2% of abortions in the UK are done after 20 weeks, with over 80% being done under 10 weeks.

Doctors would try to save a premature baby born before 24 weeks too, the chanced of it surviving are not high though.

Quick Reply

Latest