The Student Room Group

State of Universities at the moment?

I can't seem to find this information anywhere online, so;

Are university campuses open?

If not when are they opening?

Are many students at University?

Are classes being held?

If not when will in-person classes restart?

Are student bars open?

If not when will they re-open?

Thanks, I think these things are useful to know.
I don't go to uni yet or anything but last I heard most courses are online, with only subjects that are more practical and require labs and things allowed to be in class. I assume student bars will be under the same rules as normal bars, which I'm pretty sure are only allowed to serve outside from 12th April or something. I'm sure someone more qualified to answer this question will come along soon but I'm bored :P Sounds as if university students have really been screwed over this year and I think it will apply to next year's cohort in my opinion..
Original post by Jonathanツ
I don't go to uni yet or anything but last I heard most courses are online, with only subjects that are more practical and require labs and things allowed to be in class. I assume student bars will be under the same rules as normal bars, which I'm pretty sure are only allowed to serve outside from 12th April or something. I'm sure someone more qualified to answer this question will come along soon but I'm bored :P Sounds as if university students have really been screwed over this year and I think it will apply to next year's cohort in my opinion..

Thanks for your response and yeah, I agree uni students who would have started in 2020 have really been screwed with this. I'd be so pissed off. I'm actually a PhD student who's thinking about moving near to campus and just want to know what's open and what isn't, and what students are thinking about the uni situation. I also feel bad for A level students who haven't/won't be able to do their exams. Are festivals/events even going to be happening in the summer? This is getting ridiculous, must be some kind of conspiracy, why would all the governments in the world do this to their economies? I don't believe they care about their populations that much (the 1% of people who die), why doesnt each country just tax people more and pump some more money into a national health service?
Original post by Bongo Bongo
Thanks for your response and yeah, I agree uni students who would have started in 2020 have really been screwed with this. I'd be so pissed off. I'm actually a PhD student who's thinking about moving near to campus and just want to know what's open and what isn't, and what students are thinking about the uni situation. I also feel bad for A level students who haven't/won't be able to do their exams. Are festivals/events even going to be happening in the summer? This is getting ridiculous, must be some kind of conspiracy, why would all the governments in the world do this to their economies? I don't believe they care about their populations that much (the 1% of people who die), why doesnt each country just tax people more and pump some more money into a national health service?

Yeah, I'm in year 13 so my whole approach of revising my ass off in the last 2 weeks to make up for not doing much work for the last 2 years has gone to total sh*t. I wouldn't like to think festivals will be happening lol. I have recently decided to go on a gap year because I want the best value for money uni experience, and I have faith that if I was to go next year my experience would be sh*t. I hope the best for your though, out of interest what is your Ph.D. in?
My university sent an email today saying this;

"Although there was no public announcement yesterday about in-person education for students on non-practical courses, we have heard from Government that we are not allowed to resume in-person teaching for those of you on non-practical courses on 12 April. We do not as yet have a date when in-person teaching for students on non-practical courses can resume."
I go back to university in May to do my research project but prior to this all lectures are online.
Original post by Jonathanツ
Yeah, I'm in year 13 so my whole approach of revising my ass off in the last 2 weeks to make up for not doing much work for the last 2 years has gone to total sh*t. I wouldn't like to think festivals will be happening lol. I have recently decided to go on a gap year because I want the best value for money uni experience, and I have faith that if I was to go next year my experience would be sh*t. I hope the best for your though, out of interest what is your Ph.D. in?

Yeah taking a gap year is probably a good option. I'm sure things will be back to normal by 2022. I'm doing an Archaeology PhD but it's all theoretical, so I'm comparing databases etc.
Original post by Bongo Bongo
Yeah taking a gap year is probably a good option. I'm sure things will be back to normal by 2022. I'm doing an Archaeology PhD but it's all theoretical, so I'm comparing databases etc.

Very interesting, good luck my friend : D

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending