The Student Room Group

Feeling the Pressure While Jobless and Lonely

So only my mother and my female cousin are with me in a house that we've been renting since last year.

I could've been talking to them about stuff, but I feel awkward talking to them unabashedly about things, because my interests happen to be different from theirs. Female cousin is more into TikTok and Facebook, and my mother loves watching Got Talent videos on YouTube while I'm more into Googling random stuff about politics and social issues as well as those that can give me ideas on how to make the world run better ( which I know it sounds crazy, but with all the protests and riots as well as endless bickering turning life into a big madhouse, would this be unreasonable?)

Now, I've been contemplating on bringing up my thoughts in a blog that I made few years ago, but no one seems to read them anyway, so I don't seem to have any chance to spread out whatever proposals I have to make the world better than today, as I don't have the right people to talk to.

On top of that, I'm out of a job that I never liked and have been looking like forever for a job that both pays me well and treats me well.

My dad has been asking my mother occasionally about when I would get a new job, and it's starting to kill me.

These as well as the fact that I've been "bleeding" self-esteem hasn't been helping me thrive especially in a time of lockdowns.
Are your job expectations too high at the moment? It is easier to get a job when you are in a job in my experience. So you may have to take a lower pay in the short term while looking long term for either progression or another job?

Possibly look at joining internet forums to discuss your ideas or getting into politics? The reality is that these days, unless you are going to make the world a worse place by releasing a deadly virus and causing a pandemic, dropping a bomb or holding a brexit referendum, there is very little impact you can have universally. Thinking big is admirable but it is the little things that make a difference; for example, if someone let's me out at a junction then I will let someone out at a junction. Everyone pays it forward and everything runs a little smoother. Little things that change someones mood might seem like nothing but you never have much of an idea how much impact you have.
Reply 2
Original post by one_two_three
Are your job expectations too high at the moment? It is easier to get a job when you are in a job in my experience. So you may have to take a lower pay in the short term while looking long term for either progression or another job?

Possibly look at joining internet forums to discuss your ideas or getting into politics? The reality is that these days, unless you are going to make the world a worse place by releasing a deadly virus and causing a pandemic, dropping a bomb or holding a brexit referendum, there is very little impact you can have universally. Thinking big is admirable but it is the little things that make a difference; for example, if someone let's me out at a junction then I will let someone out at a junction. Everyone pays it forward and everything runs a little smoother. Little things that change someones mood might seem like nothing but you never have much of an idea how much impact you have.

I simply want to make things so that people can shut up for good and give myself a piece of mind.

On a more serious note, no one should have problems, and the fact that everyone does concerns me so much.
Original post by SlaveofAll
I simply want to make things so that people can shut up for good and give myself a piece of mind.

On a more serious note, no one should have problems, and the fact that everyone does concerns me so much.

That is just life and there is absolutely nothing you can do about that. People have problems because everyone has free will and the only way to build an ideal world is through the removal of free will and that sounds rather hellish. Some people have problems through their own choices, others have them through the choices of others and some people have them because of circumstance. But if no one ever faced any problems then we would not be resilient and a problem free world is unsustainable.
Wow what’s your blog called? I want to read it, seems interesting
I think people like your mom, dad, and cousin are those who expect little and have much smaller dreams which are far easier to achieve, they then reflect this onto others in their family to alter what they perceive 'success' which is essentially the reason why less than 10% of people are successful in life.

There are many reasons why so few people actually become successful but one of them is due to letting people constantly put them down and expect them to settle for less. There are always going to be challenges along the journey of becoming successful and allowing others' opinions to interfere with your dreams is so common that it is borderline guaranteed.

Most peoples plan has been ****ed by the pandemic but it will be over soon and you need to start planning what you want to do now so you can make a prompt resume to your journey.

Goodluck and don't ever settle for less
Reply 6
Original post by one_two_three
That is just life and there is absolutely nothing you can do about that. People have problems because everyone has free will and the only way to build an ideal world is through the removal of free will and that sounds rather hellish. Some people have problems through their own choices, others have them through the choices of others and some people have them because of circumstance. But if no one ever faced any problems then we would not be resilient and a problem free world is unsustainable.

As for a problem-free world, maybe we can simply turn to other ways to keep people aware of problems even when they never experience them. Cautionary tales is one example. Whether you believe in monsters or not, it's a good way of keeping kids in line even if they're not real.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Wow what’s your blog called? I want to read it, seems interesting

I've made few of them, and I deem them all eccentric, to put it mildly, but the link is in a direct message to you.
Reply 8
Original post by Jonathanツ
I think people like your mom, dad, and cousin are those who expect little and have much smaller dreams which are far easier to achieve, they then reflect this onto others in their family to alter what they perceive 'success' which is essentially the reason why less than 10% of people are successful in life.

There are many reasons why so few people actually become successful but one of them is due to letting people constantly put them down and expect them to settle for less. There are always going to be challenges along the journey of becoming successful and allowing others' opinions to interfere with your dreams is so common that it is borderline guaranteed.

Most peoples plan has been ****ed by the pandemic but it will be over soon and you need to start planning what you want to do now so you can make a prompt resume to your journey.

I'm not the one who settled for less.
Original post by SlaveofAll
I've made few of them, and I deem them all eccentric, to put it mildly, but the link is in a direct message to you.

I'm interested too, send me the link!
Original post by Anonymous
I'm interested too, send me the link!

By direct message, I mean a private message.
Original post by Jonathanツ

Less that 10% of people being successful in life is based purely upon your perception of success. I view my success based on how happy I am in my life. I can see someone with the perfect family, expensive car and big house with a prestigious job but if they are not happy then that isn't very successful to me. I have the job I always wanted although it is not financially lucrative and I am happy with my work/life balance and what I have.

There is the potential that people are more concerned about the health and wellbeing of the OP and that what they are perceiving as a view on their success and lack of job is not looking down upon and attack upon themselves but is actually just concern.

As for the problem free world - it will never happen. Most books upon the attempted construction of a utopia are actually dystopian novels. The only way to achieve a problem free world is the removal of free will.
By a problem-free world, I meant a world where no one is at the mercy at bad circumstances.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending