The Student Room Group

Changing course and changing university process

I have decided that I'm going to be changing university and course next year after I have found my passion. However, I was just wondering what the process would be like with student finance and leaving my current university. I have received offers (with my insurance being unconditional) so I know for certain I will be changing university and course. I have not yet applied for student finance and I have finished all university exams. Please could someone answer my questions:

1) When do I leave my current university (assuming I know for sure I will be leaving this university)?
2)Do I apply for student finance as a continuing student or a new student and does anyone have advice on how I go about doing this?
3) How do I leave my current university - is it as easy as an email to tell them, and how will student finance know I have left?
4) I have read you received full funding for the new course+ one extra year so does this mean I will receive full funding for my new course?

I understand there are a lot of questions I have asked and any response would be much appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Tagging experienced members who may be of help:
@PQ @Admit-One

Thank you.
Original post by Courtesy
I have decided that I'm going to be changing university and course next year after I have found my passion. However, I was just wondering what the process would be like with student finance and leaving my current university. I have received offers (with my insurance being unconditional) so I know for certain I will be changing university and course. I have not yet applied for student finance and I have finished all university exams. Please could someone answer my questions:

1) When do I leave my current university (assuming I know for sure I will be leaving this university)?
2)Do I apply for student finance as a continuing student or a new student and does anyone have advice on how I go about doing this?
3) How do I leave my current university - is it as easy as an email to tell them, and how will student finance know I have left?
4) I have read you received full funding for the new course+ one extra year so does this mean I will receive full funding for my new course?

I understand there are a lot of questions I have asked and any response would be much appreciated.

What do you mean by "next year"? next academic year (ie from autumn 2021?) or next calendar year?
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
What do you mean by "next year"? next academic year (ie from autumn 2021?) or next calendar year?

Next academic year; sorry, should have been more clear.
(edited 2 years ago)
Next academic year; sorry, should have been more clear.

ok

1) Have you applied to move elsewhere through UCAS yet? You only have another 20 days to get an application in including a reference from your current university.

2) do you intend to finish you current academic year at your current university?
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
ok

1) Have you applied to move elsewhere through UCAS yet? You only have another 20 days to get an application in including a reference from your current university.

2) do you intend to finish you current academic year at your current university?

1) Yes, I sent off my application late last year because I knew from the start that I was a lot more interested in the new course and really like the university. Subsequently, I received offers.

2)I have finished everything now - university exams and assignments; just waiting on results. On my student finance page it says everything has been 'paid' so that is my maintenance loan and full tuition fees for this academic year.
(edited 2 years ago)
Student finance isn't my area of expertise but to address a couple of points:

- In the majority of cases you would receive funding for the duration of your new course plus one 'gift' year
- Withdrawing is usually just a case of contacting your academic department and they will advise you of the your unis process. Usually a form to complete.
1) Yes, I sent off my application late last year because I knew from the start that I was a lot more interested in the new course and really like the university. Subsequently, I received offers.

2)I have finished everything now - university exams and assignments; just waiting on results. On my student finance page it says everything has been 'paid' so that is my maintenance loan and full tuition fees for this academic year.

ok in that case

Apply as a continuing student for student finance (asap). On the section that asks if you'll be doing the same course tick no and fill in the details of the new university and course.

Find out in your student handbook for your current university about the process for withdrawing but DO NOT withdraw yet. Wait until August 1st to withdraw (to save any complications with student finance)

If you're restarting in 1st year then you should be fine to get funding for the duration of your new course (unless you have more than 1 year of previous study). You would be classed as unfunded for any additional repeat years (unless you have evidence of compelling personal reasons for the repeat). Unfunded would mean no tuition fee loan for the second repeat year but you would still get a maintenance loan for every year of the new course.
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
ok in that case

Apply as a continuing student for student finance (asap). On the section that asks if you'll be doing the same course tick no and fill in the details of the new university and course.

Find out in your student handbook for your current university about the process for withdrawing but DO NOT withdraw yet. Wait until August 1st to withdraw (to save any complications with student finance)

If you're restarting in 1st year then you should be fine to get funding for the duration of your new course (unless you have more than 1 year of previous study). You would be classed as unfunded for any additional repeat years (unless you have evidence of compelling personal reasons for the repeat). Unfunded would mean no tuition fee loan for the second repeat year but you would still get a maintenance loan for every year of the new course.

Alright, thank you.

I only see one problem with that. What if on the first of August the department has went on holiday or something so they cannot withdraw me from the university. Also, my university place (for my firm) has conditions that I meet the A level grades and we receive the results on the 10th of August I believe. Does this mean that if my current university does not withdraw me in time, my target university for next year cannot confirm my place on the 10th of August, or is there a period of time after results day where I can confirm my place? Additionally, how does student finance (and I) know I have formally left my university - am I supposed to be sent a confirmation email?

Sorry for all the questions. I just don't want to mess anything up, and your help is much appreciated.

Thank you.
(edited 2 years ago)
Alright, thank you.

I only see one problem with that. What if on the first of August the department has went on holiday or something so they cannot withdraw me from the university. Also, my university place (for my firm) has conditions that I meet the A level grades and we receive the results on the 10th of August I believe. Does this mean that if my current university does not withdraw me in time, my target university for next year cannot confirm my place on the 10th of August, or is there a period of time after results day where I can confirm my place? Additionally, how does student finance (and I) know I have formally left my university - am I supposed to be sent a confirmation email?

Sorry for all the questions. I just don't want to mess anything up, and your help is much appreciated.

Thank you.

If you don’t enrol onto your existing course after 1 August then you’ll be automatically withdrawn.

If you want to wait until the 10 August to withdraw then wait. My point was that you need to know what the formal process is at your university (it might mean submitting a form or filling in an online form) and to wait until at least the 1st August before you follow that process.
Reply 10
Original post by PQ
If you don’t enrol onto your existing course after 1 August then you’ll be automatically withdrawn.

If you want to wait until the 10 August to withdraw then wait. My point was that you need to know what the formal process is at your university (it might mean submitting a form or filling in an online form) and to wait until at least the 1st August before you follow that process.

Okay, thank you. Could I just get @SFE Isaac to confirm this just to be sure?
Okay, thank you. Could I just get @SFE Isaac to confirm this just to be sure?

Hi, from my understanding after reading the chat. I will answer the questions.

1. and 2. You said you have not yet applied for finance yet, are you stating you have studied at university for 1 year previously. There was talk above of you applying as a returning student or restarting the first year.

If the university withdraw your first application, you will be required to apply as a new student for the new course. You will only be classed as a returning student if they class you as transferring to the new course.

3. I can see this has already been answered in detail. If you do withdraw then the university need to confirm the withdrawal with us.

4. Full time undergraduate applicants can receive funding for the length of the course + 1 additional year - any previous study

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 12
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi, from my understanding after reading the chat. I will answer the questions.

1. and 2. You said you have not yet applied for finance yet, are you stating you have studied at university for 1 year previously. There was talk above of you applying as a returning student or restarting the first year.

If the university withdraw your first application, you will be required to apply as a new student for the new course. You will only be classed as a returning student if they class you as transferring to the new course.

3. I can see this has already been answered in detail. If you do withdraw then the university need to confirm the withdrawal with us.

4. Full time undergraduate applicants can receive funding for the length of the course + 1 additional year - any previous study

Thanks, Isaac

Sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean for 1 and 2. I have finished one year of study now at my current university and I am planning to start a different course at a different university starting from year 1 in September. Do I apply as a returning student or a new undergraduate student?

How will the university confirm their withdrawal with you. Do I have to do anything on my part? I am planning to withdraw from my current university by filling out an online form on the 1st of August. Will this leave enough time for them to confirm my withdrawal for the start of my new course?

Thank you.
Sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean for 1 and 2. I have finished one year of study now at my current university and I am planning to start a different course at a different university starting from year 1 in September. Do I apply as a returning student or a new undergraduate student?

How will the university confirm their withdrawal with you. Do I have to do anything on my part? I am planning to withdraw from my current university by filling out an online form on the 1st of August. Will this leave enough time for them to confirm my withdrawal for the start of my new course?

Thank you.

I have finished one year of study now at my current university and I am planning to start a different course at a different university starting from year 1 in September. Do I apply as a returning student or a new undergraduate student?

Did you complete the year? Are the university classing you as having withdrawn from the course or are they classing you as transferring?

If you have withdrawn from the first course, you won't be able to apply online for your new course until we receive a withdrawal from the university.
The university just need to send the withdrawal https://www.heinfo.slc.co.uk/resources/guidance/student-information-service-user-guide/change-of-circumstances/withdrawal-coc/

If you try and apply online before the last application is withdrawn, our system will incorrectly think you are a returning student.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 14
I have finished one year of study now at my current university and I am planning to start a different course at a different university starting from year 1 in September. Do I apply as a returning student or a new undergraduate student?

Did you complete the year? Are the university classing you as having withdrawn from the course or are they classing you as transferring?

If you have withdrawn from the first course, you won't be able to apply online for your new course until we receive a withdrawal from the university.
The university just need to send the withdrawal https://www.heinfo.slc.co.uk/resources/guidance/student-information-service-user-guide/change-of-circumstances/withdrawal-coc/

If you try and apply online before the last application is withdrawn, our system will incorrectly think you are a returning student.
Thanks, Isaac

Yes, I have completed the year. I don't know if they are classing me as withdrawn or transferring yet since I have been told by @PQ to wait until August to withdraw. When I phoned up student finance however they told me to withdraw now. I am very confused.

Also, when I phoned up student finance they told me to apply as a continuing student and not as a new undergraduate student since I am not taking a break from my studies and going to start studying from the academic year 2021/2022.

This has left me confused; please help.
(edited 2 years ago)
Yes, I have completed the year. I don't know if they are classing me as withdrawn or transferring yet since I have been told by @PQ to wait until August to withdraw. When I phoned up student finance however they told me to withdraw now. I am very confused.

Also, when I phoned up student finance they told me to apply as a continuing student and not as a new undergraduate student since I am not taking a break from my studies and going to start studying from the academic year 2021/2022.

This has left me confused; please help.

You need to speak to the university then and ask them if they are classing you as withdrawing or transferring.

You should only apply as a continuing student if you are not withdrawing from your first course.

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 16
You need to speak to the university then and ask them if they are classing you as withdrawing or transferring.

You should only apply as a continuing student if you are not withdrawing from your first course.

Thanks, Isaac

Okay, so to clear things up I should apply as a new undergraduate student, and I should withdraw my entry asap. When I fill out the withdrawal form for the university I will be telling them I will be transferring to a new university and course.

I cannot apply as a continuing student since I am changing university and course after one year of study.
Okay, so to clear things up I should apply as a new undergraduate student, and I should withdraw my entry asap. When I fill out the withdrawal form for the university I will be telling them I will be transferring to a new university and course.

I cannot apply as a continuing student since I am changing university and course after one year of study.

That is correct if you withdrew from the first course.

If you already applied for finance as a continuing student, you should cancel your application and send in a new student paper application form(or wait until the university send us the withdrawal and you can apply online after they do that).
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 18
Original post by PQ
ok in that case

That is correct if you withdrew from the first course.

If you already applied for finance as a continuing student, you should cancel your application and send in a new student paper application form(or wait until the university send us the withdrawal and you can apply online after they do that).
Thanks, Isaac

Okay, thank you. Just wanted @PQ to confirm this just to be sure (?)
Reply 19
Original post by PQ
ok in that case

Hey, sorry to keep bothering you @PQ but I have been told by 3 advisors on phone calls to apply as a new student and withdraw from my current university as soon as possible, and not in August. I was just wondering who's right in this situation because I understand you are experienced with these things and do not want to make the wrong decision. I will be starting from year one on the new course and it starts in the academic year 2021/2022. Any help?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending