The Student Room Group

Application to Germany

Is it possible to get into a German university with Scottish Highers? I have grades of 5 A's and a B for Scottish Highers and am wondering if it is possible for me to get into a uni in Germany. I know the German qualification is called Abitur, anyone knows if it is equivalent to Highers, or Advanced Highers?
I've moved your thread to a more relevant section :h:

https://www.studying-in-germany.org/studying/requirements/
Reply 2
Original post by kkong
Is it possible to get into a German university with Scottish Highers? I have grades of 5 A's and a B for Scottish Highers and am wondering if it is possible for me to get into a uni in Germany. I know the German qualification is called Abitur, anyone knows if it is equivalent to Highers, or Advanced Highers?

The acceptable requirements as far as international applicants are concerned would be a matter for the individual University and may depend on the course.

Which subject would you like to read? Do you have a University in mind?

One concern I would have in your position would be funding, by the way.

PS Bear in mind that numbers for some subjects such as Medicine can have stringent limits placed on them.
Reply 3
Thank you :smile:)
Reply 4
Original post by kkong
Thank you :smile:)

I spent a Semester at a German University myself. Where do you want to go and why have you thought of that particular place?
Reply 5
Original post by Kerzen
I spent a Semester at a German University myself. Where do you want to go and why have you thought of that particular place?

I am thinking a uni called H-BRS, I don’t speak German so there wasn’t much choice left for me to choose...... I have to find a uni which teach Biology (my desired course) entirely in English, and there are only a couple of unis across Germany do that for free.
Reply 6
Original post by Kerzen
The acceptable requirements as far as international applicants are concerned would be a matter for the individual University and may depend on the course.

Which subject would you like to read? Do you have a University in mind?

One concern I would have in your position would be funding, by the way.

PS Bear in mind that numbers for some subjects such as Medicine can have stringent limits placed on them.

Hiya thanks for your answer. I am thinking biology or anything that is biology-related. And my desired uni is called H-BRS. I am hoping they have a lower standard as I don’t hold any advanced Highers......the funding wasn’t really bothering me tbh as the uni I chose is free and I only have to pay the living cost and rent.
Reply 7
Original post by kkong
I am thinking a uni called H-BRS, I don’t speak German so there wasn’t much choice left for me to choose...... I have to find a uni which teach Biology (my desired course) entirely in English, and there are only a couple of unis across Germany do that for free.

That would be this one, then:

https://www.h-brs.de/de/studium

Will you be in a position to pay for your accommodation?
Reply 8
Original post by kkong

This looks relevant to me.

https://www2.daad.de/deutschland/nach-deutschland/voraussetzungen/en/57293-database-on-admission-requirements/?id=3279&ebene=3

You would be well advised to get in touch with the Uni itself as well.

https://www.h-brs.de/files/folder_applied_biology.pdf
Hi I'm from Germany! I would contact the university directly since I'm Germany out Abitur covers a wide range of subjects and you need to prove usually that you have taken at least one foreign language, one stem subject and one social science. Friends of mine here who are from abroad had to take a foundation course because their countries equivalents did not meet the standards. However this is of course not the case for all. If you have any other questions, feel free to reach out to me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending