The Student Room Group

Places last minute after results day

How likely would I be able to get a place after results day. I’ve missed clearing places and I’ve been told to try again on 10th August to try get a place.
Has anyone done this before and been successful?
Reply 1
Original post by Revengancex
How likely would I be able to get a place after results day. I’ve missed clearing places and I’ve been told to try again on 10th August to try get a place.

If you've got your UCAS sorted and are in clearing, there are likely to be more courses in clearing on results day when unis know how many people have achieved their offers - many people find a place through clearing every year :smile:
Clearing 'proper' doent start until Results Day - you haven't 'missed it'.

Two useful bits of reading - read them both :
What happens on Results Day - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/results/a-level/guide-to-a-level-results-day
Predicting Clearing places - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/results/is-it-possible-to-predict-what-universities-will-do-on-results-day

Clearing is UCAS procedure for filling places that have not been filled with students looking for places. As most students apply with A levels then the amount of places arent known until A level results day on 10 August. This is why you being told to reapply on that date. In a typical year tens of thousands find places through clearing in this way. This happens where students havent met their grades or universities havent had enough applicants to fill all their spaces.

What will happen this year is impossible to predict. Last year using Teacher Assessed grades double the number of students achieved the highest grades. If this happens again this year then more students will achieve their offers than in a normal year. This would lead to less vacancies in clearing. Hopefully there will be more moderation to keep the numbers around previous years. Until results are out nobody can really predict what is going to happen.

In addition many places in previous years were taken up by EC students who were able to pay the same fees as UK students. However as we have now left the EC it is likely less EC students will come here as they will have to pay much higher international fees. This would likely increase the number of clearing places.

For these reasons it would be foolish to predict how many places will be available in clearing and even the universities themselves wont know until results day.

Hey @Revengancex!

What you've been recommended is the traditional route for clearing. On August 10th when the A-Level results are released, you'll have the option to go through clearing and find a course that you like and have the grades for. You'll be able to see these of UCAS, or through individual University websites. There's a great guide here which gives you some insight into what will happen on August 10th. I hope it makes you feel more confident, but feel free to ask any more questions!

- Nathan
UKC Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending