The Student Room Group

Super nervous about starting uni this Sep

Anyone else?

As the days go by I’m just getting more and more nervous. My mum keeps crying and is getting depressed about it- I don’t want to leave her living lonely but I know I need to go to uni for a job

I’ve took a gap year for expenses and it flew by so unbelievably quickly.

Now I’m just feeling more nauseous as the days go on. Anyone else in the same boat?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Anyone else?

As the days go by I’m just getting more and more nervous. My mum keeps crying and is getting depressed about it- I don’t want to leave her living lonely but I know I need to go to uni for a job

Now I’m just feeling more nauseous as the days go on. Anyone else in the same boat?

Hey, so sorry to hear about that and how your mom is feeling. It's a very emotional time for many. Could I ask how far Uni will be from home ?

Lee- UoP Rep
Everyone is nervous for uni.

But once you get going its a great experience.
Reply 3
Original post by mnot
Everyone is nervous for uni.

But once you get going its a great experience.

I know and you’re probably right. But it’s just my families circumstances which make me feel even worse than I probably should be. I don’t want to leave my mum living alone (she’s quite emotionally dependent on me and vice versa). I’ll be living 4+ hours away too, for my dream uni.
I know and you’re probably right. But it’s just my families circumstances which make me feel even worse than I probably should be. I don’t want to leave my mum living alone (she’s quite emotionally dependent on me and vice versa). I’ll be living 4+ hours away too, for my dream uni.

Parents struggle, they are emotionally attached, it can be hard watching your children leave the nest.

I can’t comment on your specific circumstances but I think what you are describing is all pretty normal.

I also think in a few years at graduation your mum will be the first one getting a photo and cheering you on as you collect your degree.
I'm honestly trying not to think about it too much yet. It'll be ok. Sure it seems terrifying rn and the first few days/weeks will be nerve wracking, but once you get used to it it'll be fine. You can always give your mum a quick phone call/facetime whenever you can so she doesn't feel so isolated from you.
Anyone else?

Noiceee. I wasn't nervous but this made me nervous.

Just don't think too much about it and focus on the positive thing you'll get once you go to uni.
Reply 7
Original post by JAckieee.chan
Noiceee. I wasn't nervous but this made me nervous.

Just don't think too much about it and focus on the positive thing you'll get once you go to uni.

Sorry that wasn’t my intention :frown: though if you haven’t been too nervous up until this point then I doubt you’ll achieve the level of nervousness I have been experiencing. I’ve been super nervous since March! I’m sure we will be fine though. :smile:
Anyone else?

Hey Anon.,

I completely understand how you feel. I was super nervous when moving away from home for the first time too, it wasn't easy on me or my mum but within time we learnt to deal with missing each other. The only advice I can really offer is just to reassure your mum that you will stay in contact and you will be home for the winter break in a matter of just over two months. Perhaps you could give her some information about the city you are living in, what you plan on getting up to there and look at some pictures of the university campus together. This may make her realise that you are fully prepared to be moving away from home and that she has nothing to worry about. She may even begin getting excited for you when she sees the new place you are going to be living and the new experiences you will be getting up to. Perhaps you could plan a weekend in the middle of the semester where your mum could come up and visit you at your university for the day or for an overnight stay, this gives her something to look forward to. Also, you could maybe plan to have dinner over facetime together once a week, this may help her to feel more connected to you at first.

Coming to university was the absolute best decision I ever made, many others feel the same way too but it is difficult to come across those who weren't nervous to start with. You will meet lots of new people and gain so many new experiences. I advise you to join a society or sports team and spend time with your flat/housemates as this will really help you build friendships. Very best of luck, have the best time :biggrin:

Megan
University of Hull Student Rep
Why don't you just stay at home for university and just commute? You could be selfish and abandon your family or just stay at home and commute to university. The choice is yours.
nah, just do you fam. if you want the job then take it lol
Why don't you just stay at home for university and just commute? You could be selfish and abandon your family or just stay at home and commute to university. The choice is yours.

Selfish? Lmao did one of my family members right this. You can’t have children and expect them to stay home forever, that’s absurd.
I don't do too much, my friends don't believe in me enough, they call me fake when I'm the one who got kicked out because of racism.
Selfish? Lmao did one of my family members right this. You can’t have children and expect them to stay home forever, that’s absurd.

True but you could go to a nearer uni. I am moving out but I'm buying a house near to my parents
Uni isnt going to be too crazy because of coronavirus, don't sweat it!
True but you could go to a nearer uni. I am moving out but I'm buying a house near to my parents

lol we don't know when it starts, maybe September.
Original post by shooonthebeat
lol we don't know when it starts, maybe September.

What's that got to do with it?
What's that got to do with it?

money innit.
Original post by shooonthebeat
money innit.

I don't know anything about uni, I'm just moving put of my parents
I don't know anything about uni, I'm just moving put of my parents

exactly, same.

Quick Reply

Latest