The Student Room Group

Resit or non-Russel group uni?

if i dont get in to uni with my results
is there any point in going in to debt and going to a non russel group uni ?
There's good value for money courses at non RG unis and poor value for money courses at RG unis... So it depends.
Would you prefer Southampton over St Andrews? RG vs Non-RG.
Original post by Joinedup
There's good value for money courses at non RG unis and poor value for money courses at RG unis... So it depends.

how do I calculate what is good value for money in regard to universities?
Original post by random_matt
Would you prefer Southampton over St Andrews? RG vs Non-RG.

yes, Southampton is like the top one for civil engineering
there for its better to resit so is that what your saying ?
What subject and what sort of career are you aiming for?

There are some good non-rg unis that are certainly worth it, it all depends what you want to get out of your uni experience.
Original post by ABCEZ
yes, Southampton is like the top one for civil engineering
there for its better to resit so is that what your saying ?

Civil engineering, should of said. Well, that is for you to decide, not entirely sure if it matters for that subject. Bath is better in that subject and not RG, some others up there too.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Kogomogo
What subject and what sort of career are you aiming for?

There are some good non-rg unis that are certainly worth it, it all depends what you want to get out of your uni experience.

i want to do civil engineering

job and a good network of people who will be high in their respected filed , what I need to get out of uni
Original post by ABCEZ
i want to do civil engineering

job and a good network of people who will be high in their respected filed , what I need to get out of uni

Industry links are certainly a reasonable want. I'm not sure about civil engineering specifically, but it may be worth checking out what sort of research and links the non rg uni provides and decide if they are adequate for employment afterwards. Also things like internships and placements are hugely valuable for that sort of thing too.

Just because a uni has staff who turn out a lot of good research doesn't necessarily mean you see the benefit of that, so how do your uni picks actually support you afterwards in finding a career and linking you up other than being able to put their name on your degree?
Original post by ABCEZ
how do I calculate what is good value for money in regard to universities?

Well they're only rough guides but you can look at the subject tables on complete university guide and the destination of graduates on unistats (discover university)

If a course at one uni has a large proportion of graduates unemployed or in low ranked jobs 15 months after graduating its likely to be giving its students less value than the same course at a different uni where more students are in 'professional' jobs.
Civils is offered by many non-RG Unis - and many of those courses are actually better than some of the RGs.
This is because these are practical vocational degrees that they have always excelled at - and they are more likely to offer placements and year-in-industry etc ec which add greatly to your CV. Ex-Polys in general have very good graduate employment rates - it certainly is not true that only going to an RG Uni guarantees you a happy and successful life.

Go to in-person Open Days, look at the facilities and talk to current students.
Find the course that suits you and the Uni where you will feel comfortable.
Yes, aim high - but the 'RG' label does not itself tell you its 'better'.
(edited 2 years ago)
It's also worth pointing out that you could do a masters at a RG uni after your BEng if you are still interested in studying at one.
Original post by Smack
It's also worth pointing out that you could do a masters at a RG uni after your BEng if you are still interested in studying at one.

but you have to fund your self and it is a bit more work rather than a integrated masters
Original post by ABCEZ
but you have to fund your self and it is a bit more work rather than a integrated masters

There are opportunities to have your masters degree funded by a company you worked for, etc.

But honestly it seems like you’re already set on this idea of RG unis good anything that’s not RG bad
Original post by ABCEZ

That's true (on both accounts), although the MSc might be cheaper than the MEng year. That said, you may find decent employment with a BEng.
Original post by Smack
That's true (on both accounts), although the MSc might be cheaper than the MEng year. That said, you may find decent employment with a BEng.

i need a Meng to become charted thats when you make money(~40k) in civil engineering to start with so want to there quickly as possible
Original post by ABCEZ

Hi @ABCEZ!

I think your question falls into 2 parts.
In terms of debt - repayment of student loans is slightly different to other forms of debt, particularly because after a certain amount of time, the money owed is wiped. You can find out more here. Personally, I think university is worth the amount of money (although I am perhaps a little biased haha) but that is completely up to you to decide. You might want to consider what career/field you are looking to go into and whether a degree is necessary.

Russell Group unis are a group of universities that, combined, receive most of the money in the UK for research. These are generally known as prestigious universities as they tend to produce good results and are at the top of league tables. However, not all top universities are part of the Russell Group - Lancaster being an example. Looking at the reputations and results that unis produce is an important part of deciding where to apply, but remember that some non-Russell Group unis can be just as good!

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! :smile:

Emily, Student Ambassador and 2nd year PPE student
Original post by ABCEZ
i need a Meng to become charted thats when you make money(~40k) in civil engineering to start with so want to there quickly as possible

You can sit the exam for chartership with the IStructE with a BEng, if you go down the structural side. Though a masters degree is still a common entry requirement or preference for many of the most competitive graduate positions.

If you want to become chartered as quickly as possible, why are you considering resitting?
Original post by ABCEZ

You do get some none RG uni's that are excellent. I think a lot of student applicants assume that a RG is the be all and end all, when in fact, most employers couldn't give a fig if you come from York/Newcastle (RG) or Lancaster/Bath (non RG). They want to see what you can offer at the end of the day. So when you do go to uni, be proactive, get networking, get on linked in, apply for lots of internships. If Lancaster engineering dept is similar to their physics dept, then there's a fair amount of internship opportunities, so its worth checking out.
Reply 19
Original post by ABCEZ

Need more info. Predicted grades, GCSEs, uni choices, course etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending