The Student Room Group

Fitness to practice help

Hello

I was involved in something over the summer which somehow ended up back at my university and now I am being dragged through a fitness to practice procedure.

I am a third year student paramedic due to graduate in August/September

I have tried contacting our representing body - the college of paramedics however they won’t actually provide representation unless I am a qualified paramedic and unless the hearing is performed by the Health and Care professions council (HCPC)

The university tend to do these procedure on their own terms so the student cannot get representation from their professions councils etc as its in house rather than HCPC led. According to the policies I am allowed representation in the fitness to practice hearing.

I cannot afford private representation in the form of a solicitor and my student union I feel lack experience of fitness to practice hearings and are trying to push me towards someone else to help.

My professionalism is being questioned. Although I feel I have shown professionalism and maturity since the incident and have carried on with my course without issue since. However I have been told by the university not to contact any of the people I have worked with in order to obtain a reference so in that respect I cannot defend my case.

I am part of a trade union however I’m not sure that they would intervene in a student vs university dispute.

1. Does anyone know any organisations that may be able to represent a student paramedic at a fitness to practice hearing?

2. Does anyone have previous experience of fitness to practice hearings? How did you find it, what did you do to allow your voice to be heard etc.

Many thanks
Original post by Bluelights999
Hello

I was involved in something over the summer which somehow ended up back at my university and now I am being dragged through a fitness to practice procedure.

I am a third year student paramedic due to graduate in August/September

I have tried contacting our representing body - the college of paramedics however they won’t actually provide representation unless I am a qualified paramedic and unless the hearing is performed by the Health and Care professions council (HCPC)

The university tend to do these procedure on their own terms so the student cannot get representation from their professions councils etc as its in house rather than HCPC led. According to the policies I am allowed representation in the fitness to practice hearing.

I cannot afford private representation in the form of a solicitor and my student union I feel lack experience of fitness to practice hearings and are trying to push me towards someone else to help.

My professionalism is being questioned. Although I feel I have shown professionalism and maturity since the incident and have carried on with my course without issue since. However I have been told by the university not to contact any of the people I have worked with in order to obtain a reference so in that respect I cannot defend my case.

I am part of a trade union however I’m not sure that they would intervene in a student vs university dispute.

1. Does anyone know any organisations that may be able to represent a student paramedic at a fitness to practice hearing?

2. Does anyone have previous experience of fitness to practice hearings? How did you find it, what did you do to allow your voice to be heard etc.

Many thanks

Are you in a union such as Unison? They're really helpful in certain situations, so may be more experienced than you think.

In general, you need to show understanding of why this happened, and therefore why it won't happen again. Writing a reflection or similar may help. You might be able to identify sources of support for if you're in the same situation again - so if you had a situation with a colleague, could you identify a more senior colleague you could ask for help? Or read the whilstleblower policy or safeguarding policy or whatever as appropriate.

It might be helpful to read through the HCPC standards, even though you're not registered, and identify which one(s) you broke. Then you figure out how you won't do it again.

I have previously been a witness at a fitness to practice hearing, and it wasn't nice. But the person showed genuine remorse and insight so everything worked out OK. They just need to be sure that the patients and service reputation will be safe.

Feel free to PM me if you like.
Top advice from Blue light driver there.

Also, try your university student's union as well. They should be pretty well versed in the university's policies and procedures around FtP hearings carried out by the university.
Reply 3
Original post by BlueLightDriver
Are you in a union such as Unison? They're really helpful in certain situations, so may be more experienced than you think.

In general, you need to show understanding of why this happened, and therefore why it won't happen again. Writing a reflection or similar may help. You might be able to identify sources of support for if you're in the same situation again - so if you had a situation with a colleague, could you identify a more senior colleague you could ask for help? Or read the whilstleblower policy or safeguarding policy or whatever as appropriate.

It might be helpful to read through the HCPC standards, even though you're not registered, and identify which one(s) you broke. Then you figure out how you won't do it again.

I have previously been a witness at a fitness to practice hearing, and it wasn't nice. But the person showed genuine remorse and insight so everything worked out OK. They just need to be sure that the patients and service reputation will be safe.

Feel free to PM me if you like.

Hi, I am a year 1 student and I have a case with Fitness for Practice. I confirmed I want to attend in an online hearing. I am so concerned and worried about what they want to make the decision and also, it is the first time I found myself in this tough position. Could you please help me more about this hearing... I absolutely love and have lots of passion for my midwifery course.
Original post by Kia2021
Hi, I am a year 1 student and I have a case with Fitness for Practice. I confirmed I want to attend in an online hearing. I am so concerned and worried about what they want to make the decision and also, it is the first time I found myself in this tough position. Could you please help me more about this hearing... I absolutely love and have lots of passion for my midwifery course.

I'm happy to help, but I don't really know what help you want
Reply 5
I'm happy to help, but I don't really know what help you want

Honestly, lots of thing happened but were not serious like unprofessional behaviour. I want to ask you if I positively challenge the case and will disagree with some points and those points I feel I made mistakes and will apologise... Do you think the panel will give me a chance to improve and develop my skills or not? Thanks for your advice
Original post by Kia2021
Honestly, lots of thing happened but were not serious like unprofessional behaviour. I want to ask you if I positively challenge the case and will disagree with some points and those points I feel I made mistakes and will apologise... Do you think the panel will give me a chance to improve and develop my skills or not? Thanks for your advice

How is it not serious yet you are being called in front of a fitness to practice panel? If it's got to the point you're in front of them, I'd say it's pretty serious.
Reply 7
Original post by moonkatt
How is it not serious yet you are being called in front of a fitness to practice panel? If it's got to the point you're in front of them, I'd say it's pretty serious

Have you been in this situation? If yes, could you please advice me how is the panel? If I accept or declined what is going to happen? Thanks
Reply 8
Dear user: tuffty bluey

Hi, I have just read your email on the student room’s website, but unfortunately, I can't reply to this, I don't know why! I wanted to ask you, I am struggling to write a reflective statement however I have a reflective model which I am following too. I have wanted to ask you that I do not know how to write an impressive statement. I would welcome all your advice. Thank you
Reply 9
Original post by Kia2021
Dear user: tuffty bluey

Hi, I have just read your email on the student room’s website, but unfortunately, I can't reply to this, I don't know why! I wanted to ask you, I am struggling to write a reflective statement however I have a reflective model which I am following too. I have wanted to ask you that I do not know how to write an impressive statement. I would welcome all your advice. Thank you

Please give me some tips about writing a reflective statement and how to answer questions on the online hearing. I asked for support but SU...
Original post by Kia2021
Please give me some tips about writing a reflective statement and how to answer questions on the online hearing. I asked for support but SU...

https://www.nmc.org.uk/globalassets/sitedocuments/standards/nmc-standards-for-competence-for-registered-midwives.pdf
Reply 11

Thank you

I have been told to read the NMC Codeode carefully, so I don't know I have to memorise all of the code one by one or just learn and memorise briefly? Please

I am so worried I do not know how to answer questions in the hearing please 🙏
Reply 12
Hi
Regarding writing a reflective statement for fitness to practice, it should be about the whole case or I have to write one by one, of the points that I have?

I have written one by one and it is quite long around 12 pages... I don't know I have to pay attention to whole case or one by one of the points. Please
Original post by Kia2021
Hi
Regarding writing a reflective statement for fitness to practice, it should be about the whole case or I have to write one by one, of the points that I have?

I have written one by one and it is quite long around 12 pages... I don't know I have to pay attention to whole case or one by one of the points. Please

It's really difficult to advise without knowing the specifics. But generally, if it's one thing then a reflection looking at the whole thing would be appropriate. If it's a series of smaller things that were done on separate occasions then you might have to go through them one by one. But it is your reflection, so if you feel it's better to address things together then that's ok.
Reply 14
It's really difficult to advise without knowing the specifics. But generally, if it's one thing then a reflection looking at the whole thing would be appropriate. If it's a series of smaller things that were done on separate occasions then you might have to go through them one by one. But it is your reflection, so if you feel it's better to address things together then that's ok.

Thank you. Do you have any advice for me in an online hearing ? Please I’m so nervous
Reply 15
I’m being taken to a FtP panel too. Essentially, for unprofessionalism. My hearing is in three weeks (16 January 2024] time. I’ve written a statement which is based on the cause for concern document. I raised a number of issues with its content and now have no idea how I can save myself.

I can’t seem to find very much information about how to fight it.

Kind regards

Crystal

Quick Reply

Latest