The Student Room Group

Mum asking me for money because my dad won’t give her any

My mum is asking me for £650 to help her pay for some mandatory fixes needed around the house for the health and safety of the people living at home and she told my dad who refuses to give her any because he’s ‘broke’

Anytime money is needed to fix or renovate something in the house he’s always ‘broke’ yet constantly buys new gadgets for himself.

I am a student and have worked my entire summer saving up for uni so I can live comfortably and I am kinda annoyed I have to give some of it away to my mum but what other choice does she have. Thing is I have so many expenses I need to pay for such as buying course books, driving lessons and language classes and these are not cheap. My mum and dad payed for my siblings driving lessons but I don’t think they are going to pay for mine since I have been working.

My mum said she’d pay me back by December but if she can’t help me split the cost for my driving lessons and she is broke now I doubt she will be able to pay me back. Regardless I don’t need the money in December I need it now lol I’m literally starting uni in a few days.

What do you suggest I do. I’m tired of my useless father but last time I tried to speak to me he shouted at me saying he is doing his ‘duty’ and told me not question his authority again.
Reply 1
You need it for you, she'll just have to find a way to pay it herself. Are the repairs really that dire?
it's your money, she can't just demand you givd it to her
You could maybe lend it to her
wow you guys in the comments are so sad wtf. she’s your mum and if you can’t give the money to her, explain why.
Who else lives at home? Maube if you all chip in a little bit you wont feel guilty that you didnt help but you also wont spend all of your savings.
Also sell some of your dads old gadgets that he wont miss (with permission of course)
This isn't your responsibility. You need the money for living on.

Explain to your dad how unreasonable this situation is maybe. At best he realises and at worst you get it off your chest and keep your money.

At least you're moving out of it all soon.
Reply 7
Yh all my siblings are chipping in everyone is paying including my dad everyone except my dad and none of my siblings live at home except my younger brother who is 12
Reply 8
Original post by Bio 7
You need it for you, she'll just have to find a way to pay it herself. Are the repairs really that dire?

Yh something to do with the gas regardless they need to be done asap
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
Who else lives at home? Maube if you all chip in a little bit you wont feel guilty that you didnt help but you also wont spend all of your savings.
Also sell some of your dads old gadgets that he wont miss (with permission of course)

My dad is the least reasonable person on this earth why on earth would he sell his gadgets he does not give two ***** if something wrong with the house that could pose a threat to us just as long as he is comfortable
Original post by White Transit
You could maybe lend it to her

I've watched enough Judge Rinder to know where this is going...
Original post by Plagioclase
I've watched enough Judge Rinder to know where this is going...

What I’m going to sue my mum because she couldn’t pay me back? Please if your not here to offer some constructive advice please take your snarky unseeded comments elsewhere
What I’m going to sue my mum because she couldn’t pay me back? Please if your not here to offer some constructive advice please take your snarky unseeded comments elsewhere

i'd call a reference to a serious financial disagreement pretty helpful advice

if you think lending your mother money would be simple and straightforward, you've not given proper attention to why she can't pay for it in the first place or pay you back until the end of the year and what plagioclase is saying should draw your attention to that

snarky?
If it's likely that whoever you're loaning money to can't pay it back, don't loan the money. Simple. You need it, clearly, so loaning the money puts you in a disadvantageous situation.
My dad is the least reasonable person on this earth why on earth would he sell his gadgets he does not give two ***** if something wrong with the house that could pose a threat to us just as long as he is comfortable

I dont mean that he should necessarily sell his stuff himself, but like if you see tjings lying around the house that no one is using/needs maybe sell it? Does your mum work?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending