The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IWINTWIN
I ran 5.01k in 30:00 mins, is this normal for my weight and height?

I’m 5,7 and weight 82.7kg.

Thanks!

Considering your body composition your time is pretty good. I've seen people on the fitter side complete it in about 25 mins on average, so 30 mins is actually pretty normal. I would take this with a grain of salt, as I'm basing this off of personal observations. Best of luck with the running tho!
(edited 2 years ago)
It's pretty good for your health i guess to lose your weight and getting fit...
Reply 3
You want to focus on losing weight and getting fit.

Try weight lifting if you can too, starting off on smaller weights to help increase your metabolism for fat burning.
Try to focus on controlling your diet and maintaining a calorie deficit of at least 600.
With regular low to moderate doses of daily exercise at least 5 days a week.
Personally I wouldn't recommend doing lots of running, high intensive workouts or walking, these can place a lot of strain on your feet and heart.
Good luck!
Yeah I agree with @LaW2022 im 5"4 and weigh 53Kg and my PB for 5k is 25.12secs (Im not a particularly fast runner anyway, this is purely recreational), I occasionally run 30 or over. So I say thats alright

Unless youre actively trying to lose weight ( I dont know if you are as you dont specify and whilst youve given your height and weight I dont know your body composition and other details) the reason you should run is cause you enjoy it and you can feel the mental benefits. Exercising is great but if you dont enjoy it and feel its worth it you wont stick at it. That should be youre main priority!!
Strength training is important to build the muscles around your joints to prevent injury and make running easy, so I suggest that, as well as yoga and mobility work to well, help with mobility which will also improve your running .
"Good" relative to what? Other people? Unless you are competing, who cares?

You've now got a marker to beat. Compare your own times and forget what anyone else is doing.
Reply 7
Original post by Robsmith23
"Good" relative to what? Other people? Unless you are competing, who cares?

You've now got a marker to beat. Compare your own times and forget what anyone else is doing.

Agree with this. There are so many factors that influence how good you can be at various forms of exercise that comparing to others is bad unless you're competing. Like, if I constantly worried about how much I can squat with my long femurs compared to others I'd have chronic depression haha. As long as you're improving and becoming a better you, that's all that matters.
I’m slim and struggle to get 30 mins. Always been **** at distance. Yet I tend to beat the distance runners at 100/200m sprint.
Reply 9
Original post by Redfrost
I’m slim and struggle to get 30 mins. Always been **** at distance. Yet I tend to beat the distance runners at 100/200m sprint.

This is common. Muscle fibre type is one of the many factors affecting how someone performs at running. You clearly have more fast twitch fibres in your legs which are much better at high intensity, short duration exercise.
Original post by Kyri
This is common. Muscle fibre type is one of the many factors affecting how someone performs at running. You clearly have more fast twitch fibres in your legs which are much better at high intensity, short duration exercise.

Yea people say I’m a ‘sprinter’ but I’m still not talented enough for sprint competitions. Most adults seem more into distance I can’t find a proper sprint training group only for kids. I might do some training for 400m as I can still train distance with the others yet put my sprint speed to use at the same time.
I sprint towards the end of my runs
Yes its totally normal
damn why is everyone being so negative, 30 mins is a pretty good pace? that's 10km per hour so your doing pretty well. obviously loosing weight (if you want to) would increase your pace but 30 mins is around the average for people that run a few times a week.
Original post by francesca1curtis
damn why is everyone being so negative, 30 mins is a pretty good pace? that's 10km per hour so your doing pretty well. obviously loosing weight (if you want to) would increase your pace but 30 mins is around the average for people that run a few times a week.

40 minutes is my minimum run. If you get Google fit, you can track how far you did in km and minutes.
5km for 30 minutes is really good! This is pretty much my pace, and I do distance running (think marathons and ultras). Well done you, and keep it up :smile:
Reply 16
Exercising consistently is good for any person but you’ll know this. Loads of folk can’t run 5k in one go never mind 30 minutes. Good job.
👍👍👍👍
Original post by MCMT
Exercising consistently is good for any person but you’ll know this. Loads of folk can’t run 5k in one go never mind 30 minutes. Good job.

There are special apps you can have in your phone that calculate how far you ran in 30 minutes. So if you have Google Fit and you run for 30 minutes, it will calculate how far you travelled within that time :smile:
I heard that walking is better than running. I don't know the reason but one my friend suggest me.

Latest