The Student Room Group

Fed up of comments about body- woman

I gained about a stone over lockdown last year and finally started losing it a few months ago- I’m now back to my old weight and weigh a few pounds less. (I was nearly 10 stone, I’m now 8.3 stone)

My relatives and mum told me last lockdown “you’ve gained too much weight” now they’re telling me “you look too skinny and gaunt in the face”…why does everyone feel they need to tell ME about MY body- if I say anything I’m being a gobby feminist.

Would they comment on a boy/ mans body so much? I’m sorry to moan but I’m fed up with being told about my weight when im comfortable and healthy. Any other women experienced this?

Thanks
Yes we get it all the time usually with mums and stuff it’s just worry but they don’t realise how annoying it is

If ur having issues with your body image tho don’t ignore it please seek support
Reply 2
Maybe the weight loss is particularly noticeable and they are concerned about you? Have you had health/eating issues in the past? Did you lose the weight in a sensible way?

Comments like that aren't always just negative or sexist because you're female.
Reply 3
yes i have received comments about my weight from friends, family, romantic partners and bullies for as long as i can remember, from at least 5 years old, so i get what you're saying. it's like that Britney Spears song lyric, 'I'm Mrs. she's too big now she's too thin (You want a piece of me)'. like why is that socially acceptable to comment on and you feel comfortable doing that i have no idea :dontknow:

(ps i was never huge and even constantly received remarks standing 5'7" and 130lbs which is perfectly normal.)

yeah, i agree. don't know of this problem resonating with guys; seems to be a female issue. may i ask tho did you lose the weight in a healthy way or did you do something drastic?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I gained about a stone over lockdown last year and finally started losing it a few months ago- I’m now back to my old weight and weigh a few pounds less. (I was nearly 10 stone, I’m now 8.3 stone)

My relatives and mum told me last lockdown “you’ve gained too much weight” now they’re telling me “you look too skinny and gaunt in the face”…why does everyone feel they need to tell ME about MY body- if I say anything I’m being a gobby feminist.

Would they comment on a boy/ mans body so much? I’m sorry to moan but I’m fed up with being told about my weight when im comfortable and healthy. Any other women experienced this?

Thanks

Unfortunately, I think this is a universal experience for women. God knows it’s happened to me countless times - just keep healthy and if you’re comfortable with how you look and feel then that’s all that matters :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Joleee
yes i have received comments about my weight from friends, family, romantic partners and bullies for as long as i can remember, from at least 5 years old, so i get what you're saying. it's like that Britney Spears song lyric, 'I'm Mrs. she's too big now she's too thin (You want a piece of me)'. like why is that socially acceptable to comment on and you feel comfortable doing that i have no idea :dontknow:

(ps i was never huge and even constantly received remarks standing 5'7" and 130lbs which is perfectly normal.)

yeah, i agree. don't know of this problem resonating with guys; seems to be a female issue. may i ask tho did you lose the weight in a healthy way or did you do something drastic?

I had been eating less sweets etc and tried to eat more fruit for a few months and then I went back to college and lost all the weight- not even tried too- maybe it’s because I’m snacking less and moving more lol.
It happens to guys too

Quick Reply

Latest