The Student Room Group

Do you have to attend an applicant day?

I've already got my offer from my university and they emailed me saying I should consider attending an applicant day. What if I don't want to attend and will it impact my offer that I already have?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DeItaReality
I've already got my offer from my university and they emailed me saying I should consider attending an applicant day. What if I don't want to attend and will it impact my offer that I already have?

Why would you turn down the opportunity to find out more about the place you could be studying and living for 3+ years plus the chance to make friends with your future coursemates?
I think it would be best if you attended an applicant day get to find out a lot about your course and everything.
Original post by PQ
Why would you turn down the opportunity to find out more about the place you could be studying and living for 3+ years plus the chance to make friends with your future coursemates?

This university is one of my last choices and I'm not that keen in attending. Will it reduce my offer though if I don't attend?
This university is one of my last choices and I'm not that keen in attending. Will it reduce my offer though if I don't attend?

It’s still worth taking advantage of the opportunity to visit to make sure that your decision is right (and if everything goes wrong in August and you end up in clearing then you have a better idea of where you would and wouldn’t be happy).
Original post by PQ
It’s still worth taking advantage of the opportunity to visit to make sure that your decision is right (and if everything goes wrong in August and you end up in clearing then you have a better idea of where you would and wouldn’t be happy).

Alright, thanks.

No it won't, they are purely optional
Unless it’s positioned as an interview day then it’s not mandatory to attend.

As above, I would still very seriously consider attending, even if it’s only to give you something to compare your other choices to.
It’s probably worth thinking about why it would matter if they did withdraw their offer if you don’t want to go there.

There must have been something that made you pick that university over the other 100+ options available to you.

You don't have to go. I always did and it was defiantly helpful I also enjoyed them. I was able to ask more course specific questions get a and city halls and campus tour talk to current students and lecturers and all that good stuff. As i say you don't have to go and it really shouldn't affect your offer but it could also be good idea.

Hi there, how are you?

I’m Konnie, a postgraduate student at De Montfort University. 😊

Unless stated otherwise, applicant/offer-holder days are not compulsory. However, they are good opportunities to get a better insight into your university choices. You can get more information about your course, accommodation, extra-curricular opportunities and much more! They also give you an indication of the teaching methods, and the atmosphere, at a particular university.

If you can, I would definitely recommend attending!

I hope this helps!

Konnie 😊
When my eldest went to his applicant day, it gave us a better chance to speak to the lecturers and staff on his course. I asked the head of admissions for the course what would happen if he didn't meet his offer requirements and was told the fact that he had been on the applicant day, meant they knew he was serious about the course and they would therefore give him more consideration for the course than someone who hadn't been.

It defnitely gives you a better view of the university when it is not full of prospective students.
Hi there, Attending an applicant day is a great idea unless you worry that attending will change your own judgement to choose this university. Either way, best to put down the pros and cons to make up your mind. My personal experience in attending applicant day served me so well. And I make friends right from that day. Also, best to write down the questions you want to ask in person. And the walk around campus will give you some useful ideas for finding accommodation and student life. My thinking is you applied to this uni for good reasons. Unless other personal circumstances are out of your own control, that may need to discuss further.Anyway, wish you all the best in uni student life. Best, Cherry
Unless the offer stipulates you complete the day then no.

These open days are generally just an opportunity to learn a lot more about a uni and get a feel for the facilities.
Reply 14
I would expect the applicant days would be a lot better than generic open days, so probable worth going but agree another day out is probable the last thing you need.
I would not expect it to effect you negatively if you didn't attend.
Are applicant days just for the person applying or are they like open days where you take along a parent?
Hi there, from what I know parents are very welcome to accompany, it will be a good idea for them to support their sibling study in uni given they will feel more involved.
Original post by clubpenguinjess
Are applicant days just for the person applying or are they like open days where you take along a parent?

It’s up to you. Some parents will attend but may be excluded from certain talks if numbers are limited. But they can just have a walk round the campus or city in that case and meet up with you after the talk

I don’t think it will affect you’re offer. It’s just a good opportunity to meet the lecturers and see accommodation
Reply 19
Attendance will not affect any offer you already have.
Nevertheless if you don't already hold any offers which you prefer it may be worth going. You may find you like the place / course more than you expect, or vice versa.
For the course I'm involved with we ran applicant days 'virtually' last year and are doing so again this year. Though there are clear disadvantages, a positive feature was that attendance numbers were high because people didn't have to take time & cost to travel. In the longer run I think we may offer both.
Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending