The Student Room Group

How important is the reference letter??

I applied to all undergraduate accounting and finance courses and when I accidentally saw my reference letter done by my teacher he wrote that he wants me to do a foundation course. I have accounting work experience and currently studying AAT lvl2 as well and I am also currently doing a Higher Education Access to Account, Finance and Banking.
He never told me he thinks that I should apply for foundation course and when I talked to him he said that the reference isn't important. Since he wrote this I fear all the unis I applied to will now reject me.
He said that if he doesn't want that reference I need to find another one and he will delete everything he wrote. What should I do?
Original post by KGG009
I applied to all undergraduate accounting and finance courses and when I accidentally saw my reference letter done by my teacher he wrote that he wants me to do a foundation course. I have accounting work experience and currently studying AAT lvl2 as well and I am also currently doing a Higher Education Access to Account, Finance and Banking.
He never told me he thinks that I should apply for foundation course and when I talked to him he said that the reference isn't important. Since he wrote this I fear all the unis I applied to will now reject me.
He said that if he doesn't want that reference I need to find another one and he will delete everything he wrote. What should I do?

It's the least important part of an undergraduate application. Universities just want something that is broadly positive. They will make their own assessment about whether you are suitable for entry into year 1.
reference and predicted grades are essential. They were the main things I looked at when I was the admissions officer for 3 years.
Original post by KGG009

That's strange that he would do that when you are studying an Access course, unless he doesn't think you will do very well on the course. If you have someone else im mind who could write you an academic reference that would be ideal, but if not then I think you need to leave it up to the unis to decide and I do suspect that if they accept Access to HE qualifications normally, they will still be prepared to give you a conditional offer for the main degree course as long as you perform to the required standard in the modules.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending