The Student Room Group

no ucas reference

Im currently doing a foundation year at uni and i may transfer to a different uni next year, so im currently applying to unis through ucas however i dont have a reference. Ive emailed the unis i want to apply to if i can apply without a reference but they still havent replied. The deadline is tomorrow so im not sure what i should do. Please help.
Reply 1
Original post by anon1155
Im currently doing a foundation year at uni and i may transfer to a different uni next year, so im currently applying to unis through ucas however i dont have a reference. Ive emailed the unis i want to apply to if i can apply without a reference but they still havent replied. The deadline is tomorrow so im not sure what i should do. Please help.

Can you not ask your course tutors if they could do one for you?What subject?
Reply 2
Original post by Scotney

@PQ can you help here please.
Reply 3
Original post by Scotney

they said they cant do it, the subject is computer science.

If the Universities haven't replied to your emails yet, it may be worth finding if their admissions department have a phone number and giving them a call, if possible. This way you should be able to get some answers so you know the next best steps to take for each institution :smile:
Reply 5
they said they cant do it, the subject is computer science.

Did you ask them earlier in the term or just now?Phoning admissions is easy they are always nice so do not worry about that .Try some now.
Reply 6
@gjd800 would you know the answer to this?
You'll just have to see if they can write a reference for you in clearing or apply during a gap year. You can't assume a foundation year at one uni will be acceptable at any other uni in any case - that's not what they're designed for, they're an integrated part of the degree you already applied for and are now on.

If you are a recent school leaver you could have asked your old school to provide a reference again, however you can't do that with 24 hours notice in any case so you really only have the option of requesting that reference (or one from your current course provider) for clearing and/or to apply next year during a gap year.
Reply 8
Original post by Scotney
@gjd800 would you know the answer to this?

You can apply without a reference (and there is a UCAS option for this), but only if your chosen institutions provide confirmation before the application is submitted.

In my experience it is always better to drag a referee from somewhere.
Reply 9
Original post by gjd800
You can apply without a reference (and there is a UCAS option for this), but only if your chosen institutions provide confirmation before the application is submitted.

In my experience it is always better to drag a referee from somewhere.

Could she get one from her old school?Also could you explain what you just said in simpler terms because I do not know what you mean?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Scotney
Could she get one from her old school?

Yes, provided there is a staff member there willing to do it - I did this as a mature applicant at age 24.
Original post by gjd800
Yes, provided there is a staff member there willing to do it - I did this as a mature applicant at age 24.

Also as I edited my post what did you mean in really simple terms as I did not really understand it myself.The first answer obviously.
Reply 12
Original post by Scotney
Also as I edited my post what did you mean in really simple terms as I did not really understand it myself.The first answer obviously.

Just that you can apply without a reference, but this does not help the OP because the condition of doing so is that you first have the express permission of the institutions to which you are applying. Obviously the OP doesn't, and that's the issue!
Original post by gjd800
Just that you can apply without a reference, but this does not help the OP because the condition of doing so is that you first have the express permission of the institutions to which you are applying. Obviously the OP doesn't, and that's the issue!

Yes I see now!
Contact your old school (ring them now) and ask if they can reattach your reference from last year tomorrow.

Otherwise apply without a reference before the deadline. Applying with no reference (and then sending one through later) is better than applying late if there's a chance any of your choices will close their courses after the deadline.
Original post by PQ
Contact your old school (ring them now) and ask if they can reattach your reference from last year tomorrow.

Otherwise apply without a reference before the deadline. Applying with no reference (and then sending one through later) is better than applying late if there's a chance any of your choices will close their courses after the deadline.

Thank you PQ .
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending