The Student Room Group

Does it matter if I just get the minimum grade requirements for English language

I don’t think I did great for my English language exams. I think I might get a 5. Hopefully. If I got the minimum for example some “top” UNI you need atleast a 4-5 in English language to get in. And I got those grade. Will it still have a chance to get in if all my other gcse are good and I have some good a level grades?.
for a 'top' uni it's more of a 6 but anyways, remember boundaries are (slightly) less this year, we have one more paper AND you probably did better than you thought- so everything is still in play!
of course it's not a massive problem if you don't get a 6 and your other subjects are good.. provided you're not doing an essay based course? go into paper 2 thinking you're going to get a 7-9 and by subconsciously thinking you'll do well you'll inevitably do well (of course with revision etc)

how was english lit today?
Original post by Rainyzack
I don’t think I did great for my English language exams. I think I might get a 5. Hopefully. If I got the minimum for example some “top” UNI you need atleast a 4-5 in English language to get in. And I got those grade. Will it still have a chance to get in if all my other gcse are good and I have some good a level grades?.

Most universities don't care much about GCSE results other than you meet requirements in maths and English and have passed in enough subjects. Sometimes a good GCSE is required in a subject if you haven't got a relevant A level qualification. As long as you meet any stated minimum requirement then they will only be interested in your A level performance (+personal statement, relevant experience/extracurriculars, reference etc).

You could resit English in year 12 if you feel you need to, either in November or next summer. You'd have to pay but it shouldnt be too expensive.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by gdunne42
Most universities don't care about GCSE results other than you meet requirements in maths and English and have passed in enough subjects. Sometimes a good GCSE is required in a subject if you haven't got a relevant A level qualification. As long as you meet any stated minimum requirement then they will only be interested in your A level performance (+personal statement, relevant experience/extracurriculars, reference etc)

Not entirely true. Many top Unis will look at your overall GCSE profile as part of their scoring proces, especially for competitive courses.
However, this is likley to be a small % of the overall score - something like 20% GCSEs, 80% A levels is common.
Original post by McGinger
Not entirely true. Many top Unis will look at your overall GCSE profile as part of their scoring proces, especially for competitive courses.
However, this is likley to be a small % of the overall score - something like 20% GCSEs, 80% A levels is common.

You are right, some universities do place more emphasis on GCSE profile when evaluating candidates.

this is what i'm scared abt tbh. English - especially English lang - is my weakest subject because it's just hit or miss.
Reply 6
Original post by dahlia06
for a 'top' uni it's more of a 6 but anyways, remember boundaries are (slightly) less this year, we have one more paper AND you probably did better than you thought- so everything is still in play!
of course it's not a massive problem if you don't get a 6 and your other subjects are good.. provided you're not doing an essay based course? go into paper 2 thinking you're going to get a 7-9 and by subconsciously thinking you'll do well you'll inevitably do well (of course with revision etc)

how was english lit today?

Thanks for answering. And I think I did pretty good. So hopefully I get the grade I need. For English lit. Thanks for asking. For uni I want to do something engineering based. Since math my best subject. Hopefully they don’t pay fully attention to English lang.

How do you think you did for English lit?
Reply 7
Original post by harlz_chalamet
this is what i'm scared abt tbh. English - especially English lang - is my weakest subject because it's just hit or miss.

Same as well. Most of this year it just been misses for me with English Lang. Hopefully for the gcse it will be different.
Same as well. Most of this year it just been misses for me with English Lang. Hopefully for the gcse it will be different.

i mean, how did you find the English lang paper 1 exam ?? i do AQA btw.
i'm actually terrified for Fridays eng lang paper 2 yikes
Thanks for answering. And I think I did pretty good. So hopefully I get the grade I need. For English lit. Thanks for asking. For uni I want to do something engineering based. Since math my best subject. Hopefully they don’t pay fully attention to English lang.

How do you think you did for English lit?

im sure you'll do amazing!
i actually liked the english lit question, although i ran out of time due to writing too much abt macbeth but overall pretty good
do you do aqa or edexcel maths?
im sure you'll do amazing!
i actually liked the english lit question, although i ran out of time due to writing too much abt macbeth but overall pretty good
do you do aqa or edexcel maths?

I do edexcel maths.
I do edexcel maths.

how was the paper yesterday and paper 1?
i mean, how did you find the English lang paper 1 exam ?? i do AQA btw.
i'm actually terrified for Fridays eng lang paper 2 yikes

I do aqa for English as well. Paper 1 could go either way. The 40 makes I felt I did pretty good. Not sure about question 4 since I had to rush since I ran out of time. I’m worried about paper 2 as well. Hopefully I can do well in it. GL to both of you for paper 2
how was the paper yesterday and paper 1?

Maths paper 2 I felt I did really good. Paper 1 I felt a did decent definitely not as well as paper 2. Judging from the amount of marks I got from checking the unofficial mark schemes online. How did you find them?
Maths paper 2 I felt I did really good. Paper 1 I felt a did decent definitely not as well as paper 2. Judging from the amount of marks I got from checking the unofficial mark schemes online. How did you find them?

i wasn't a fan of paper 2, it's always been my weakest paper. i liked paper 1 much better than paper 2, im too worried to even check my marks online for paper 2 but my paper 1 score is quite good ( of course with bias and everything else)
I do aqa for English as well. Paper 1 could go either way. The 40 makes I felt I did pretty good. Not sure about question 4 since I had to rush since I ran out of time. I’m worried about paper 2 as well. Hopefully I can do well in it. GL to both of you for paper 2

yeahhh, i think the extract wasn't that great and i was stuck on question 2. the other questions went well for me though i think.
good luck for you too x
i wasn't a fan of paper 2, it's always been my weakest paper. i liked paper 1 much better than paper 2, im too worried to even check my marks online for paper 2 but my paper 1 score is quite good ( of course with bias and everything else)

i'm sure you did fine!!
also, remember that method marks are always available and they can raise your score soooo much so just because you didn't get the final answer on the unofficial mark scheme does not mean you're 100% wrong.
if it helps, i did 2 math papers during my mock exams at school and cried when i came home because when everyone was comparing answers, i seemed that i had got so many wrong. i ended up bagging a grade 8 which was one of the highest in the class soooo moral of the story is dw you've got this!!
i'm sure you did fine!!
also, remember that method marks are always available and they can raise your score soooo much so just because you didn't get the final answer on the unofficial mark scheme does not mean you're 100% wrong.
if it helps, i did 2 math papers during my mock exams at school and cried when i came home because when everyone was comparing answers, i seemed that i had got so many wrong. i ended up bagging a grade 8 which was one of the highest in the class soooo moral of the story is dw you've got this!!

thank youuu so much, good luck to your exams <3

If you meet a universities entry requirement and have good grades in other subjects and A levels you should be fine. A grade in a single GCSE wont have a huge effect.

Generally for Engineering most universities wont require above a 5 in English Language and more often a 4. They look far more at Maths for Engineering.

Baths requirement for Civil Engineering
GCSE English Language or Literature grade 4 or C (or equivalent from English language category C)

Manchester for Chemical Engineering
Applicants must demonstrate a broad general education, typically five GCSEs/iGCSEs, including acceptable levels of literacy and numeracy, equivalent to at least Grade C/4 in GCSE/iGCSE English Language and Mathematics. GCSE/iGCSE English Literature will not be accepted in lieu of GCSE/iGCSE English Language
(edited 1 year ago)

Remember that you can usually resit English or Maths GCSEs in 6th Form alongside your A levels.

Getting a higher grade is usually not that difficult as you will already be working/studying at a higher level because of your A levels

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending