The Student Room Group

Why do people cheat?

Scroll to see replies

carelessness, no ifs no buts.
Original post by miser
I think usually it's down to the combination two factors: people's overarching desire for sex, passion, validation, etc., and weakness of character (either self-control, not caring, or poor judgement).

People can't very much control the former factor, but they can and are responsible for the strength of their own character.

As somebody on the pragmatic left i'm interested as to whether you think there's been a moral decline and if so, whether you'd ascribe it to the fight for equality.

Of course this is not to say liberalism is bad or immoral in my opinion (i want prostitution made legal for example), just that i think we have in some ways replaced moral values (like valuing loyalty and honour - if we ever did) with liberalism as opposed to those two concepts being in unison (with the fight for equality it seems that morality has become a slave of liberalism - i.e. more equality must be moral, resulting in no consideration of how we can shape moral values in consort).
Reply 22
Original post by Rakas21
As somebody on the pragmatic left i'm interested as to whether you think there's been a moral decline and if so, whether you'd ascribe it to the fight for equality.

Of course this is not to say liberalism is bad or immoral in my opinion (i want prostitution made legal for example), just that i think we have in some ways replaced moral values (like valuing loyalty and honour - if we ever did) with liberalism as opposed to those two concepts being in unison (with the fight for equality it seems that morality has become a slave of liberalism - i.e. more equality must be moral, resulting in no consideration of how we can shape moral values in consort).

No, I don't think there's been a moral decline in general. There may be a less stringent emphasis on certain moral values, but that's not to say that the moral quality of people's behaviour has deteriorated. The values which are genuinely important, such as compassion and consideration of others, I believe are improved.

I agree that liberalism hasn't been exactly exemplary here - although it has very much increased our acceptance of others and tempered our prejudices, it has gone too far in respect to its acceptance of things which shouldn't be. We have all sorts of nonsense such as cultural relativism, and the idea that science has nothing to say about ethics. These things I believe are misguided.

Things haven't been perfect, but on the whole I think there is progress.
Original post by Anonymous
It's sort of bothered me how people who cheat don't seem to realise they're cheating when they're in the moment. They're sorry for being caught, not necessarily sorry for doing it. Why would a someone in a relationship cheat? Are they not content? Why not just part ways and if you like another person more, go with them instead? Do you think a married person cheating is worse than a boyfriend or girlfriend cheating?

usually for sex, sex with only one woman is not fulfilling
Original post by Vixen47
I was expecting this reaction. There's a difference between a reason and an excuse. Come back to me in a few decades once you've all experienced the real world and had a relationship that lasts longer than just a few months/years. Relationships aren't as clear cut or straight forward as they seem to be when you're young.

Nah. You just have different morals. Every excuse you've given is something that you can talk about with your partner and either solve it or break up.

I'm also the same age as you.

I subscribe to the treat others how you would like to be treated lifestyle and as such would never cheat or be with someone who could justify cheating as they have different morals to me.
(edited 9 years ago)
I think people cheat mainly because of insecurities.
I am not able to find a girl and its cruel how people manage to cheat by moving on to different girls :tongue:
Original post by Juicy J
I mean it's not really cheating, not really. When I was dating this girl, I was still having sex with other women. Each time we had an argument or fell out, I'd take a day just to sort my head out and I found I needed to have sex with other women to fully satisfy myself. It made me feel better about myself as I was getting what I wanted and I wasnt restricted in terms of who I could have sex with. She didn't find out and it wasn't a real issue, it's not important at all. I wasn't really content in the relationship, the only reason I was with her was because she gave out sex really easily and I didn't have to work for it. Obviously I didn't want to part ways with her because I was getting sex from her so I kept her steady for as long as I could. I don't really see it as cheating because you don't owe the other person a thing, you're free to do as you please but tread with caution.

However if we're talking about marriage, it's a whole different ball game. You simply cannot go around cheating. It's completely wrong, I'd certainly never do it... But then again I don't envisage myself becoming tied down to one woman. I have needs, I can't get what I want from just one woman.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have problems mate, you're all talk as well.

99% of what you say is bull****
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
You have problems mate, you're all talk as well.

99% of what you say is bull****

Hahaha woah, lots of hostility there! Take it easy man :smile: I don't understand what you mean, let me just add, when it rains, it pours. I talk the talk and walk the walk, that's why they call me the Juice :wink:
Either they're weak or they don't like to keep it in their pants.
Original post by Juicy J
Hahaha woah, lots of hostility there! Take it easy man :smile: I don't understand what you mean, let me just add, when it rains, it pours. I talk the talk and walk the walk, that's why they call me the Juice :wink:

Stop with the hippie dippy act, I'm not your bro
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
Stop with the hippie dippy act, I'm not your bro

Hey take it easy :smile:
Because they're bandwagoners aka losers who are too pussy to end the relationship so they do that BS

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending