The Student Room Group

OMG not another Rippetoes blog!

Scroll to see replies

Quickish session tonight; feeling tired all day and got stuff to do this evening so can't be feeling like I got hit by a truck.

14" box squat:

120 x 5
130 x 5
135 x 3
100 x 8

Haven't box squatted in forever! Used to use a 15.5" box as the lowest before, so these were a little bit lower that I've ever done. The 135 set wasn't too difficult. Been a while since I've had a bar on my back, though, so it took a bit of getting used to. Feels good to squat again!

T-bar rows:

bar x 10
bar + 30 x 10
bar + 40 x 10
bar + 55 x 10

Done these by sticking one end of the barbell into the corner of my garage, standing on two pallets and wrapping straps around the end. Weaksauce, but haven't ever done them before, so was just experimenting. I'll try a lot heavier next time.
Good session tonight.

Press:

52.5 x 3
52.5 x 3
52.5 x 3
52.5 x 3
52.5 x 3

All sets were at a decent enough speed. 2-3 mins rest between sets. Will do more weight next time.

Close grip triceps lockouts, 3" from chest:

60 x 5
70 x 5
70 x 5
70 x 8

Happy with that last set.

Fiddled about with some band dumbbell presses, nothing heavy, these are quite awkward and the tension came in towards the top end. My shoulders were frying already, though, so nothing noteworthy.

Finished with some cable rows. Again, nothing much, was just fiddling about to see where I'm at. Can almost use the entire stack for a few horrible looking reps.
Okay, it's time for April's training review:

Training was far, far too inconsistent to really hit any goals. And it's only going to get worse with May exams coming up, sadly. But I've got a rack and barbells set up in my garage now so I can do all sorts of squats and deadlifts and rowing work in at home. Bench not set up yet; can't do overhead stuff either due to ceiling.

Training split will be a proper upper/lower rather than legs+back/chest+shoulders. I can't really handle enough meaningful pressing volume/exercises to make a whole day out of it. Don't really feel like doing any other back work after a squat variation and deadlift variation either. Back work on upper days will not be too heavy either. Lower body days will consist of a squat variant and deadlift variation, then maybe some unilateral work and abs.

Goals are: I want to deadlift 180kg just to get that sweet four plates. Want to push press 90kg as well.
Reply 383
Smack
Damn my ass hurts (no homo).

Looking back though my old workouts, I'm beginning to notice trends.

The biggest trend I'm noticing is this: Working up to 1 maximum work set sucks for size and strength, ergo it sucks, full stop. The only exception to this is the deadlift. And even then, that worked okay on 2 sets.

So from now on, going to make sure that I do at least 3 work sets, in good form, of the main exercise for that day, unless its a deadlift.

Amen to this. When I ran madcow's 5x5 (1 working set) I made some gains but they just didn't last (apart from the deadlift). I plateaued and then I didn't seem to retain much of it at all over time. 5x5 working sets have resulted in my best squat progression by far.
****, guess i'll need to re-evaluate my future with madcow. :sadnod:
Mr. Fox
Amen to this. When I ran madcow's 5x5 (1 working set) I made some gains but they just didn't last (apart from the deadlift). I plateaued and then I didn't seem to retain much of it at all over time. 5x5 working sets have resulted in my best squat progression by far.

Three sets of five, as per Rippetoes, gave me my best progression on everything. I've never tried five by five, sets across, I'd really have to leave my ego at the door on that. Brutal, but effective.

I'm going to stick with three to five sets of three to five reps for my main lifts.

cowsforsale
****, guess i'll need to re-evaluate my future with madcow.

If it's working, don't change anything.
Smack

If it's working, don't change anything.

Ya, but i'm going to try and cut my flab during the summer, so obviously want to retain as much strength as I can.

Guess i'll do 3x5 or 5x5.

Thanks for sharing, I'm in love with your culture.
cowsforsale
Ya, but i'm going to try and cut my flab during the summer, so obviously want to retain as much strength as I can.

Guess i'll do 3x5 or 5x5.

The routine that built the muscle is the one that will keep it.

Thanks for sharing, I'm in love with your culture.

What?
Brutal session tonight. Had the cold since Saturday, was quite bad as well. Feeling a bit better today and wanted to hit the gym.

3" deficit snatch grip deadlifts:

80 x 5
100 x 5
120 x 5
130 x 5
135 x 5

Weight wise, these weren't excruciating (although still difficult), but my cold was catching up on me. Used straps and felt a lot better than last time. Will try 140 next time.

Barbell step-ups:

40 x 10r 40 x 10l
40 x 10r 40 x 10l
40 x 10r 40 x 10l

Same as above. Back feeling it after the deads.

Pull throughs:

80lbs x 10
80lbs x 10
80lbs x 10

Easy.

Finished with abs.
Squats:

140 x 5

Just wanted to get back into things since I haven't had a bar on my back for a while. These weren't great form - need to focus on keeping chest up primarily - but were deep enough and, well, I just wanted to see where I'm at.

Push press:

75 x 1
80 x 1
85 x f, f
82.5 x 1

Was just mucking around seeing where I'm at. Not too disappointed about failing 85 since that's probably around my bodyweight and I haven't really set any upper body PRs for a while. Got 82.5 at least.

Finished with some skull crushers.
Howre you doing your step ups?
The same way as everyone else does them: step up onto a box.
Sorry, i mean how highs the box?
Puts my knee an inch or two higher than my hip crease.
lucky bastard, i dont have a platform thats that high.
Tonight's session was gash.

Clean Pulls:

120 x 5
120 x 4
120 x 4

Was meant to power clean but just didn't have the coordination tonight. These 'clean pulls' where slow as hell. I really need to learn how to power clean properly, I think. Wasn't really getting any sort of triple extension.

Cable rows:

100lbs x 10
100lbs x 10
100lbs x 10

Really easy. Short rest periods.

Pull throughs:

70lbs x 10
80lbs x 10
80lbs x 10
80lbs x 10
80lbs x 10
Reply 396
Smack

http://cathletics.com/articles/index...ty&shortyID=49

Really helped me, the way its described in SS didnt quite get through to me tbh
Witchita
http://cathletics.com/articles/index...ty&shortyID=49

Really helped me, the way its described in SS didnt quite get through to me tbh

Link doesn't work. You've copied and pasted a shortened version of the link rather than the full link.
Reply 398
Smack
Link doesn't work. You've copied and pasted a shortened version of the link rather than the full link.

Sorry having a slow day: http://cathletics.com/articles/index.php?show=shorty&shortyID=49
Cheers!

Quick Reply

Latest