The Student Room Group

gay in university

does being gay in university have a big impact on your life

im bi but am curious if it will have a big impact compared to the experience a straight person would have

should i just be straight in uni with the occasional sneak off :wink:

i want to get the most out of uni in a way of social life and education

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm personally hoping that nobody will mind either way, and that if anyone does, uni will be big enough to avoid them. :smile:
you'll get shanked in the bumbum
Reply 3
Original post by kerily
I'm personally hoping that nobody will mind either way, and that if anyone does, uni will be big enough to avoid them. :smile:

would be nice but im wondering if that is possibly wishful thinking
Reply 4
I'd be straight about it. Pretty much everybody would be happy enough to be friends either way but might as well be honest from the off if you know what you want :smile:

If you're hiding something or having to sneak around then it will probably bug you/impact negatively. Then you'll probably worry about being open about it because you've lied for x amount of time etc.

Basically - noone will probably care either way on a friendship basis.
Reply 5
just wear an arm-band with a rainbow and you'll be fine.
Original post by geekay1
does being gay in university have a big impact on your life

im bi but am curious if it will have a big impact compared to the experience a straight person would have

should i just be straight in uni with the occasional sneak off :wink:

i want to get the most out of uni in a way of social life and education

Why would it matter!?
I've never, ever, ever had an issue with mine, school, on nights out, with "laddy lads", in town, at home, at college and parties with randomers.

I've never not got on with someone over it, or been bullied about it.

I think that's pretty typical of everyone now.

It might be because i'm Stephen, rather than "gay", I introduce myself as myself, my sexuality is something i'm open about, but it's not me and it does not define me,- it's simply part of me, not all of me.
Original post by Nymthae
I'd be straight about it.

:rofl:
Reply 8
Original post by Nymthae

:colone:

Original post by geekay1
would be nice but im wondering if that is possibly wishful thinking

I don't think it is. The vast majority of universities have an LGBT society, even if the city isn't necessarily that tolerant. I live near Hull, which is your typical grim Northern city in places (not all of it - some of it's quite nice - but some of it really isn't) and yet they have an active LGBT society, there's an LGBT club, and there's a place called Gendershift for people who don't fit the gender binary. There are a lot of these things hidden away. Out of interest, where did you apply/where are you going?
Reply 9
Original post by Nymthae
I'd be straight about it. Pretty much everybody would be happy enough to be friends either way but might as well be honest from the off if you know what you want :smile:

If you're hiding something or having to sneak around then it will probably bug you/impact negatively. Then you'll probably worry about being open about it because you've lied for x amount of time etc.

the id be straight about it dont no if u ment it as a joke
but hilarious loool
:lolz:
Original post by Nymthae

Good advice :teehee:
Reply 11
Original post by kerily

I don't think it is. The vast majority of universities have an LGBT society, even if the city isn't necessarily that tolerant. I live near Hull, which is your typical grim Northern city in places (not all of it - some of it's quite nice - but some of it really isn't) and yet they have an active LGBT society, there's an LGBT club, and there's a place called Gendershift for people who don't fit the gender binary. There are a lot of these things hidden away. Out of interest, where did you apply/where are you going?

not applied yet i will be a 2012 student but as im so excited these thing are just running round my mind lol

and i get what your saying but the thing is i dont want to belong to a society i want to be a standard individual as was pointed out in a earlier post i want to be me

and i think joing a lgbt comunity would just push you away form the non lgbt people
Reply 12
Original post by Lewroll
:rofl:

Original post by kerily

Original post by geekay1
the id be straight about it dont no if u ment it as a joke
but hilarious loool
:lolz:

Original post by HumanNature1992
Good advice :teehee:

Admittedly, I didn't even realise when I posted that! :colondollar:
Nevermind :cool:
Reply 13
Original post by geekay1
not applied yet i will be a 2012 student but as im so excited these thing are just running round my mind lol

and i get what your saying but the thing is i dont want to belong to a society i want to be a standard individual as was pointed out in a earlier post i want to be me

and i think joing a lgbt comunity would just push you away form the non lgbt people

Nobody outside the LGBT society has to know that you attend it. It needn't be your reason for being; it can just be something that you go to the socials of, as well as the socials of everything else you do.

If you've not applied yet, I'd recommend bearing the LGBT scene of where you go in mind. Obviously there's no point going 'oh, I'm going to apply to five courses at Manchester just because the gay scene is good', but equally, if you applied to say Coventry, Bradford and Wolverhampton, I really don't think the cities would suit someone who liked to go out and pull members of the same gender that much.
Reply 14
Original post by kerily
Nobody outside the LGBT society has to know that you attend it. It needn't be your reason for being; it can just be something that you go to the socials of, as well as the socials of everything else you do.

If you've not applied yet, I'd recommend bearing the LGBT scene of where you go in mind. Obviously there's no point going 'oh, I'm going to apply to five courses at Manchester just because the gay scene is good', but equally, if you applied to say Coventry, Bradford and Wolverhampton, I really don't think the cities would suit someone who liked to go out and pull members of the same gender that much.

the 3 that im 100% sure im applying to are Bournemouth Portsmouth and Birmingham
what do you think of them 3
i really want Bournemouth as im doing media and i heard it is really good there
Reply 15
Original post by geekay1
the 3 that im 100% sure im applying to are Bournemouth Portsmouth and Birmingham
what do you think of them 3
i really want Bournemouth as im doing media and i heard it is really good there

I'm not a media applicant, so I don't know about the academic side.

Socially, I don't live in the south either. Erm. Birmingham is a bigger city? It's worth asking in the respective forums what the LGBT scene/society is like - current students should be able to give you a decent idea :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by kerily

Socially, I don't live in the south either. Erm. Birmingham is a bigger city? It's worth asking in the respective forums what the LGBT scene/society is like - current students should be able to give you a decent idea :smile:

yeah very true thanks though will give u rep at 12 as ent gone none left at moment
Reply 17
Original post by Nymthae

pun? :wink:

EDIT: someone beat me to it. :frown:
Reply 18
Original post by kerily

hold up is there actually a lgbt forum as i cant find it lol
Original post by geekay1
yeah very true thanks though will give u rep at 12 as ent gone none left at moment

I live in Birmingham and i've been out in the student areas many times, Digbeth and the Bristol Road.
I've also been to the campus.

It's very liberal, as to are many people in Birmingham.

Like I said above, i've never had an issue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending