The Student Room Group

Hong Kong Universities

How good is it? I just received an offer from them (by phoning up)
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's an amazing university! Supposedly one of the best in the world.
Hong Kong is number 1 in Asia about 25 in the world. It is a great university, study there for a semester. It depends what you are doing though.
Reply 3
Original post by Curly_hair_girl
Hong Kong is number 1 in Asia about 25 in the world. It is a great university, study there for a semester. It depends what you are doing though.

economics. I also love chinese culture so I think it would be good for overloading on that.
Awesome university is awesome :sogood:

Not only is the uni internationally renown, but the location is as epic as it gets tbh.

It will be a huge culture shock though, depends how you like that sort of stuff.

Well done for getting in anyway :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by rhinger
As a city, Hong Kong trumps London by miles.

HKU is not Hong Kong's best university anymore, it's HKUST. It's still very prestigious though.

Does HKUST do economics?
Reply 6

So whats the verdict here?

KCL or HKU (or HKUST?)
Reply 7
Original post by rhinger
Personally, HKU. HKUST may be the best university in Hong Kong (rated recently) but I don't think it's got the universal reputation that HKU does. Hong Kong will also be a very different place to live in, albeit in a good way, it's a solid city.

I think it also MAY be quite a positive surprise to employers to know that you studied at HKU rather than the usual British university.

I'm glad you said that. My parents think otherwise
Reply 8
Fantastic place for human rights.
Original post by wildrover

You now that HK has it's own government and legal system actually ?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by LysFromParis
You now that HK has it's own government and legal system actually ?

I'm completely unconcerned by china's human rights record. I know many people in Hong Kong who live lives just as free as people in the west

So if a place hasnt got the same human rights as the UK you wont go to it..okay thats good, least it saves some places for the people who wanna go
Reply 12
Its an amazing university internationally but depends on what coarse you are doing, some courses require Cantonese.
Original post by jakemittle
So if a place hasnt got the same human rights as the UK you wont go to it..okay thats good, least it saves some places for the people who wanna go

No, I wouldn't visit any country were I couldn't expect a fair trial or be in fear of voicing my opinion.
No, I wouldn't visit any country were I couldn't expect a fair trial or be in fear of voicing my opinion.

Again you know that law system in HK is distinct from main land China ? You should read some books before making such kind of comment.

You are such an ignorant douche - google HK's political and legal system, plus the acronym SAR.

I'm applying to HKU if I fail to get into Notts this year. Great university, great city (or mini country), it has a Disneyland, shopping. Going to HK this summer as well!
Original post by TheMJCG
Its an amazing university internationally but depends on what coarse you are doing, some courses require Cantonese.

Every course at HKU teaches in English. They make a big deal of the English part.

Good luck then
As someone from Hong Kong, let me say a few words! Hong Kong is a fantastic city enjoying absolute freedom as it is a Special Administrative Region. HKU has the oldest history and is considered the best and most reputable university in HK. HKUST is pretty new but has built up a very good reputation and has now become the No.1 uni in Asia. Although its name is Science and Technology, the most renowned department is Business School.
Reply 19
Original post by cherrycharm
As someone from Hong Kong, let me say a few words! Hong Kong is a fantastic city enjoying absolute freedom as it is a Special Administrative Region. HKU has the oldest history and is considered the best and most reputable university in HK. HKUST is pretty new but has built up a very good reputation and has now become the No.1 uni in Asia. Although its name is Science and Technology, the most renowned department is Business School.

would you recommend HKUST then?

Quick Reply

Latest