The Student Room Group

Want to start wearing Hijab but scared :(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jacketpotato
The blue is the author's view. The red is a statement of fact. I struggle to see how the matter is completely clear if "the muslim community is divided on the subject".

No, the Blue bit is also statement of fact. The ruling is clear.

There isn't a 50/50 split. The vast majority of Muslim women wear it. Only a small minority don't. Those who dont, always refer to the Quran verse like you and others have about covering modestly, but conveniently ignore the saying of the prophet or even the meaning behind the verse of the Quran.

The problem stems with people taking the Quran, interpreting it in their own way without any understanding and giving a ruling on it. Especially more so with Muslims in the West who don't wear the hijab and try to justify why they don't wear it.

Now let's get back on topic. Is the the Hijab obligatory in the Islam? The answer is yes.
Reply 61
Original post by Anonymous
Right so I've been contemplating wearing the Hijab (scarf) for about 2/3 years now but always put it off.
I have grown up in a very white community and have liberal, not really religious parents. I mean they're muslims and don't drink etc but clothes wise let me wear whatever and give me a lot of freedom. I used to go clubbing and didn't mind wearing skirts with tights or sleeveless clothes. But when I started uni I learned a lot more about Islam and had a couple of experiences with perverts that made me decide I needed to change. I haven't been clubbing for a year and have made a lot of changes..but I want to start wearing a scarf as it is obligatory for women in Islam. This will be by far the biggest change!
But I'm sooo scared! All my non-muslim friends will be so freaked out...I always joke around with my girls and we talk about boys and make innuendoes etc. They always say I'm beautiful and should not cover myself...they don't really get it. Even my mum is against it and thinks I will have racist encounters etc plus will look like an outcast in my liberal family.
I guess I just need your advise and opinions...also I'm a student dentist and I'm worried about my patients too..they're comfortable with me like I am what if they lose trust in me or something if I suddenly start wearing a scarf? And I have a lot of guy MATES purely friends..will they start backing off and change?

Urgh...SO confused...I want to do it was Allah SWT I want to do it to protect myself and I know it's probably Shaytaan that's putting me off but this is such a huge decision. I don't wanna start wearing it then regret it because if I take it off I will look like an idiot!

HELP PLEEEASE

I find it odd how many muslim 2nd generation children become mroe religious than their parents in some cases. It also appears that a lot of thinking about 'your religion' is done at University. If you ask me, you don't need to wear a headscarf to be a better muslim. Just wear longer skirts, longer sleeves, etc. All girls get a few comments from pervs, you just have to learn to brush them off and carry on with life. Your friends will probably find it a bit weird. Wether they treat you differntly is another matter.
had a couple of experiences with perverts

Fit, someone tried tae snog ye?
I was in agreement with you until you mentioned shaytaan. Lol. Pull your socks up.
But anyway i'll be honest with you, when I see someone wearing a hijab I think "hmm, look, there's a muslim; muslims believe in the qu'ran. Therefore that woman believes that humans were made from mud, believes there are 7 levels of heaven beyond the stars and believes in shaytaan, an invisible entity who is responsible for all the bad happenings in the world" In other words, I can't take them seriously.

P.S. Shaytaan told me to do this to divert you from such decision.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Tootles
Shut up and find some Muslim friends to give you advice. Find someone with personal experience of what you're wanting to do, because all you're going to get on here is people like me, who refuse to trust people who hide their faces.

She's thinking of hiding her hair, not face. :fyi:
Nooo this is not true:

"And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and guard their Furuj (private parts),and disclose not their adornments except only that which is apparent, and that they should draw their head covers over their Juyub (bosoms), and that they disclose not their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers, or the fathers of their husbands, or their sons, or the sons of their brothers, or the sons of their sisters, or their women, or what their hands posses, or such of male attendants who have no sexual desire or young children who have not attained the knowledge of women's private parts. And that they should not stamp their feet lest what they hide of their ornaments be known. And turn you to all together, O believers that you may be successful." (24:31)

"O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters, and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies, that is more proper that they may be distinguished and not molested. And Allah is Most Forgiving and Most Merciful." (33:59)

Wow, that is beautiful to read.
Original post by Cicerao
Why do all these Muslim females apparently get stared at and perved on when they're not wearing hijab? I've never seen anything like this? Maybe I'm not hot enough to be a temptation of the devil.

Ditto, where are all these lecherous men? Mebbe I'm frequenting the wrong places.

(Or the right places, rather!)
Reply 67
Original post by Cesar Lecat
Wow, ladies and gentlemen, check out the two internet scholars :congrats:

I'm assuming the both of you are qualified in Islamic studies. You've both studied the Quran and the Hadiths in detail and in the correct context and you've fully understood it? On top of that 99% of scholars/sheikhs/imans are just simply mistaken and wrong and on top of that, the vast majority of Arab, Somali, Pakistani, Indonesian, Chinese, Nigerian, white convert women etc all wear it for cultural reasons or for the hell of it.

By the way, just to clear it up. The Hijab is a requirement in Islam. It's not even an issue that's debated.

Whenever I see your name, I know it's going to be an Islamic fundamentalist post :rolleyes:

The issue has been debated many a time and I'm not going to go over it again. The Qu'ran most definitely does not compel women to wear the hijab. It tells women to dress modestly, and nothing else. Unlike you, I go by God's word, and not the words of men. The misogynistic and repressive motives of male scholars lead to the widespread, wrongful assumption that the hijab is an obligation in Islam. It isn't.
Right so I've been contemplating wearing the Hijab (scarf) for about 2/3 years now but always put it off.
I have grown up in a very white community and have liberal, not really religious parents. I mean they're muslims and don't drink etc but clothes wise let me wear whatever and give me a lot of freedom. I used to go clubbing and didn't mind wearing skirts with tights or sleeveless clothes. But when I started uni I learned a lot more about Islam and had a couple of experiences with perverts that made me decide I needed to change. I haven't been clubbing for a year and have made a lot of changes..but I want to start wearing a scarf as it is obligatory for women in Islam. This will be by far the biggest change!
But I'm sooo scared! All my non-muslim friends will be so freaked out...I always joke around with my girls and we talk about boys and make innuendoes etc. They always say I'm beautiful and should not cover myself...they don't really get it. Even my mum is against it and thinks I will have racist encounters etc plus will look like an outcast in my liberal family.
I guess I just need your advise and opinions...also I'm a student dentist and I'm worried about my patients too..they're comfortable with me like I am what if they lose trust in me or something if I suddenly start wearing a scarf? And I have a lot of guy MATES purely friends..will they start backing off and change?

Urgh...SO confused...I want to do it was Allah SWT I want to do it to protect myself and I know it's probably Shaytaan that's putting me off but this is such a huge decision. I don't wanna start wearing it then regret it because if I take it off I will look like an idiot!

HELP PLEEEASE

I say do it with full faith because know that when you take one step towards Allah, he takes 10 steps towards you, and just believe in him to make things easy for you.

You are doing the right thing. :smile:
Original post by abc101
Whenever I see your name, I know it's going to be an Islamic fundamentalist post :rolleyes:

The issue has been debated many a time and I'm not going to go over it again. The Qu'ran most definitely does not compel women to wear the hijab. It tells women to dress modestly, and nothing else. Unlike you, I go by God's word, and not the words of men. The misogynistic and repressive motives of male scholars lead to the widespread, wrongful assumption that the hijab is an obligation in Islam. It isn't.

WARNING: The content below in this post will contain some element of extremism
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh look, it's a "liberal" Muslim. Give me strength :facepalm2: I bet in your eye, a Muslim who prays 5 times a day is super religious :rolleyes:

Seriously though, what part of my posts ever contains "Islamic fundamentalist" elements to it. As far as I can see, I'm just going by with my faith says. Honestly, answer that question for me. The fact is this, the Hijab is obligatory.

Let's take your logic and apply it to Islam. The Quran doesn't say anything about how we should pray? Right? It only tells us to pray 5 times a day. So, by using your logic that means I can simply perform one Surah, bow down and then I'm done. I could do that for all my prayers and the prayers would only last 40 seconds to a minute, at most. Why? Because the Quran doesn't tell me how many zakats to perform or how to perform the prayer. So I'm going pray in my own way.

That my friend is your logic :congrats:

Now back on the topic of the Hijab. You talk about the Quran just mentioning modesty, these are the verses...

"O Children of Adam! We have bestowed raiment upon you to cover yourselves (screen your private parts, etc.) and as an adornment. But the raiment of righteousness, that is better" Quran 7:26

"O Prophet, tell your wives and daughters and the believing women to draw their outer garments around them (when they go out or are among men). That is better in order that they may be known (to be Muslims) and not annoyed..." (Qur'an 33:59)

"Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that will make for greater purity for them; and Allah (swt) is well acquainted with all that they do. And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; and they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what must ordinarily appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty to their husbands..." (Qur'an 24:30-31)

“O Prophet, tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks close round them (when they go abroad). That will be better, so that they may be recognised and not annoyed. Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful.” (Quran 33:59)

The Hadith compliments the Quran by going to explain more clearly what the modesty and what parts should be covered...

"Ayesha (r) reported that Asma’ the daughter of Abu Bakr (r) came to the Messenger of Allah (s) while wearing thin clothing. He approached her and said: 'O Asma’! When a girl reaches the menstrual age, it is not proper that anything should remain exposed except this and this. He pointed to the face and hands." [Abu Dawud]

Now tell me, that does that Hadith contradict the Quran, in fact from what I can see, it compliments it. By the way, do you even know what the Hadiths are? I'm seriously starting to doubt you do have a clue what it is :s-smilie:

Now in your post, you say this..

Unlike you, I go by God's word, and not the words of men.

Normally I'd refute you because I've come across so many confused Muslims using that pathetic argument. However for arguments sake, I'll pretend I agree. Now, let's have a look what God tells you...

“… and We have also sent down to you (O Muhammad) the reminder and the advice (the Qur’aan), that you may explain clearly to men what is sent down to them and that they may give thought.” [al-Nahl 16:44]

“… and whatsoever the Messenger gives you, take it…” [al-Hashr 59:7]

Those are verses from the Quran, the words of God, right? Now you've told me unequivocally that you go by gods word. Now go back to the Hadith I just mentioned above and tell me what it says? :wink: I'm pretty sure the prophet's instruction/command is pretty clear on what should be covered and what shouldn't be covered. Unless of course when you said "men", you included the prophet? :eyeball:

Now when it comes to Muslim women who don't wear the Hijab. I normally break them into two groups. Allow me to expain..

Group 1. Muslim women who don't wear the hijab but plan to in the future. They either aren't ready or are worrried that their behaviour won't match wearing the hijab. However they plan to and that's the important aspect. :yy:

Group 2. Muslim women who have no plans what so ever to wear the hijab in the future and never want to wear it and try to use their interpretation or understanding of Islam to justify why they don't wear it and why they'll never wear it :nn:

You quite clearly come under the second one and thankfully you're in the minority, as it should be.

It's quite ironic that the first sentence in your post is you having a go at the OP for not getting her fact straights about her religion. NEWSFLASH: It's not the OP, it's you who needs to get their fact straight about their religion.
Reply 70
umm as a muslim myself you are very wrong. By all means wear it and I will and everyone should respect that. But there is NOTHING IN THE QU'RAN ABOUT A HIJAB OR HEADSCARF!!!! IT basically just tells you to cover yourself, meaning wear clothes and be modest. Nothing about hair or face or arms e.t.c. You should read it. People interpret it so badly and in a wrong way. This is not just my opinion but what many professors of Islam say. Don't let the perversion of men make you have to cover your self up. You are not a sexual object. you are a human being. The more people cover up the more perverted men get as they see even a slight piece of flesh. This is fact. Go to certain countries and areas and you will see. If you do want to wear a hijab, only do this for yourself.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by mlsdbk
umm as a muslim myself you are very wrong. By all means wear it and I will and everyone should respect that. But there is NOTHING IN THE QU'RAN ABOUT A HIJAB OR HEADSCARF!!!! IT basically just tells you to cover yourself, meaning wear clothes and be modest. Nothing about hair or face or arms e.t.c. You should read it. People interpret it so badly and in a wrong way. This is not just my opinion but what many professors of Islam say. Don't let the perversion of men make you have to cover your self up. You are not a sexual object. you are a human being. The more people cover up the more perverted men get as they see even a slight piece of flesh. This is fact. Go to certain countries and areas and you will see. If you do want to wear a hijab, only do this for yourself.

Erm, no she isn't. She is absolutely correct. It's you who are wrong. Read my posts above.

The OP doesn't say the Quran says a woman must wear the hijab. This is what she actually says...

I want to start wearing a scarf as it is obligatory for women in Islam

Explain to me how that statement is incorrect?

The Quran doesn't tell us about the Hijab, it just talks about modesty and covering up, but prophet quite clearly defines what modestly is, That one should cover her hair. How does one cover her hair, using the Hijab of course and there are many different styles of Hijab.

Who are these many "professors" you talk about? Let me have a guess with one name, Taj Hargey? Just to correct you, Muslims follow Scholars and Sheikhs, not professors.
Reply 72
Original post by mlsdbk

Exactly this. So many Muslims talk about women as if they are a piece of property, I've even heard the analogy that a women is like a piece of fruit that needs a skin to protect it! It's disgusting. People who propagate the wearing of the hijab propagate the disgraceful ideology that, to men, women are nothing but sex objects. It's proven that sexual harrassment is obscenely high amongst men who come from countries where the majority of women are covered up - because the culture of the hijab makes them see women as objects for male gratification, not as people.

Men aren't filthy beasts who will leap on a woman simply because they see her natural form. Yet a lot of Muslims act as if it's obvious that a woman will get set upon by a man if she doesn't cloak herself completely - and as if it's her fault if that happens.
If youi want to wear it then you wear it,

but that means you must accept the looks stares and potential abuse you may get by wearing one, especially when you come from liberal family/society. Doesnt mean its right but thats the way it is.

Oh and you religion does not state you must wear a hijab, that a cultural thng
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by silverbolt
If youi want to wear it then you wear it,

but that means you must accept the looks stares and potential abuse you may get by wearing one, especially when you come from liberal family/society. Doesnt mean its right but thats the way it is.

Oh and you religion does not state you must wear a hijab, that a cultural thng

Wrong :facepalm2:
Wrong :facepalm2:

right.
right.

Right as in what?

Right as in I'm right or Right as in you're right? :confused:
Right as in what?

Right as in I'm right or Right as in you're right? :confused:

Tell you what - i cant be bothered getting into an arguement about whether man or god tells your women how to be repressed.

so lets just say your right.
Tell you what - i cant be bothered getting into an arguement about whether man or god tells your women how to be repressed.

so lets just say your right.

Thought as much. Good day to you sir :chaplin:
Reply 79
Original post by abc101
Exactly this. So many Muslims talk about women as if they are a piece of property, I've even heard the analogy that a women is like a piece of fruit that needs a skin to protect it! It's disgusting. People who propagate the wearing of the hijab propagate the disgraceful ideology that, to men, women are nothing but sex objects. It's proven that sexual harrassment is obscenely high amongst men who come from countries where the majority of women are covered up - because the culture of the hijab makes them see women as objects for male gratification, not as people.

Men aren't filthy beasts who will leap on a woman simply because they see her natural form. Yet a lot of Muslims act as if it's obvious that a woman will get set upon by a man if she doesn't cloak herself completely - and as if it's her fault if that happens.

THIS.. ironically from personal experience.. hijab is the most hypocritical thing. The more women cover up, the more men are obsessed with the female body and sex and perversion as even a bit of flesh seems arousing. It only initiates more obsession with sex and perversion instead of stopping it and limiting it. HOW IRONIC. As a muslim I can say this with truth. this is so wrong, even disgusting

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending