The Student Room Group

What's the point of getting married?

I'm starting to think that marrige is nothing important.. Why do people want to get married? I mean non-human animals don't get married and they mate for life so why do people say that we have to get married to have sex? It doesn't make any sense.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Marriage is tied to religion. In marriage you form a union with your 'mate' in the eyes of God.

You also get loads of financial benefits.
Reply 2
Whats the point in these dumb topics
I will never get married for the reasons the OP posted(but dear god please don't make threads right after a night out :tongue: )

But I do plan on settling down and having a family with a woman.
Reply 4
To cheat.
I reckon the point is that you believe you are in love enough to make what is meant to be a permanent commitment to the other person. I can see that houses etc are more permanent and that a lot of marriages end in divorce or whatever, but it's still a massive thing, to promise you will always be there.

It's a symbol of how much you feel your lives are intertwined.
Reply 6
Because a child grows up best in a traditional family environment with strong ties between the parents respectively and their kids. Cry all you went people but we all know it's true. A recent article on the BBC put British kids as one of the unhappiest in Europe and gave the lack of a nuclear family as a reason while comparing this to countries such as Sweden.
Reply 7
Because it's fun and people like it :smile:
Reply 8
Because we're not animals
Marriage is no longer a symbol of commitment and love. It is one party where the lady gets to wear a wonderful white dress and afterwards the two will fly off into the distance. When they come home, they remember that they have just commited themselves for life and have no direction.

You don't need a legal document to declare your love for another.
Reply 10
-Financial benefits
-Much easier to visit/donate bits of your body if your partner is in hospital
-Being fussed over for a bit and getting lots of presents
-Getting a holiday

It's for the same reasons people have birthday parties and so on, I suppose. Technically, a birthday is no different to any other day, but people still like to celebrate it because they appreciate the person. The same applies to marriage.

That being said, my parents aren't married and they do alright. I would only get married if it were financially viable and I could actually find a nice place that would do it (I'm not sure how many places are too keen on performing same-sex unions).
Reply 11
I still think marriage is important. Firstly, people probably are married due to religious purposes as it's a "promise" between the man and the woman and to God (if people believe that). Some people still want the security and commitment marriage brings. Personally, I think that children should be born in a traditional family environment and to parents who are married.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by najinaji

That being said, my parents aren't married and they do alright. I would only get married if it were financially viable and I could actually find a nice place that would do it (I'm not sure how many places are too keen on performing same-sex unions).

I think it's quite commonplace, I would say most manor houses and castles or whatever where people choose to get married probably do civil partnerships too. Even if they didn't want to, if they turned you away they might be worried about being in the news like that couple who owned the B&B.
Original post by AvatarMew
I'm starting to think that marrige is nothing important.. Why do people want to get married? I mean non-human animals don't get married and they mate for life so why do people say that we have to get married to have sex? It doesn't make any sense.

Maybe animals do get married and have ceremonies, we just don't see it. You saw the lion king right? The whole animal kingdom gathered when that little bastard was born! Who's to say they don't do the same for marriage? Just try and prove my well thought out facts wrong! just, try. :cool:
Reply 14
Original post by abc:)
I think it's quite commonplace, I would say most manor houses and castles or whatever where people choose to get married probably do civil partnerships too. Even if they didn't want to, if they turned you away they might be worried about being in the news like that couple who owned the B&B.

Haha, excellent. I do like the press sometimes... :colone:
Reply 15

For legal and economic advantages such as not being forced to testify against your spouse, increased protection from domestic violence and merging your financial affairs, including benefits and inheritance, together.
Reply 16
Original post by Cheese_Monster

You don't need a legal document to declare your love for another.

This..
Reply 17

Marriage is just a long-term promise of fidelity really. If you ask me why people sign marriage registers rather than just get married by themselves without government endorsement, then the answer is simply that it makes things a lot easier: joint bank accounts, next of kin status etc. Plus it provides legally enforceable protections, for example on use of the matrimonial home and the obligation to financially support your spouse.
Reply 18
Original post by n1r4v
This..

Marriage is far more than a legal status. Indeed, I'd say that's a pretty insignificant part of it to me.
Original post by Inzamam99
Because a child grows up best in a traditional family environment with strong ties between the parents respectively and their kids. Cry all you went people but we all know it's true. A recent article on the BBC put British kids as one of the unhappiest in Europe and gave the lack of a nuclear family as a reason while comparing this to countries such as Sweden.

Original post by IB_19
I still think marriage is important. Firstly, people probably are married due to religious purposes as it's a "promise" between the man and the woman and to God (if people believe that). Some people still want the security and commitment marriage brings. Personally, I think that children should be born in a traditional family environment and to parents who are married.

I agree. It's also probably easier when the whole family has the same surname, rather than one parents having one name, the other having another, then their kids having some funny double-barrelled name or something. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it just seems more nuclear and easier to have them all have the same surname.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending