The Student Room Group

Is my boyfriend taking me for granted - or just

We've been together five months, and I fell for him, partly, because of how attentive and romantic he was. He really blew me away with cooked meals, and every time we came back to his after being out (for the good first few months) he'd light candles all round the house, and create a lovely atmosphere.

Now, nada. Meanwhile I've stepped the romance up in an attempt to rekindle it on his part, but nothing so far :p: I'm not expecting cooked meals every week, but it's little things like:-

- he always used to ask to see me more in advance, now the planning is slipping to last minute.
- Like I say, he used to 'set the mood' as it were for us sleeping over together - and the week we are going on a date thi w/e is usually the night I stop over. We are going to a thing the next day near to where he lives, so I asked if I should stay (because he hadn't mentioned it)...and his response was 'it'll be easier yeah'. Maybe I'm being over-sensitive, but it makes me feel like a convenience.
- Physical appearance - he's started not bothering to shave sometimes when I see him. We went out on a date (with him unshaved) and he commented on how he'd need to sort it out for the day - so he looked 'presentable' for a thing he was going to with friends and family!
- On another date, he didn't even bother to change/have a shower/put on aftershave after working all day...it was a thing I'd been looking forward to for ages/had really done myself up for, and I just felt like he'd made no effort.

Other than this, he still seems to care a lot about me - but as part of the reason I fell for him was his romantic side, I'm a bit off lately.

Taken for granted OR he's comfortable?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
* TITLE edit: or just comfortable?
Reply 2
It sounds like he is just comfortable, which is nice I guess as it means he is comfortable with being himself around you. BUT if these things bother you I think you should say to him that, although it is nice that you two can be yourselves around each other, you feel that on special occasions he should make more of an effort as it makes you feel how you have just described. Maybe show him this post as it summarises it nicely, and I don't think he will be offended since you talk about his good qualities also :smile:
My boyfriend also went like this after a few months (we've been together nearly a year). His mum tells him off for not shaving/showering lol. His response is he's just lazy. He does really appreciate when I make an effort.

Unfortunately it seems a lot of guys get comfortable quickly :\
Original post by Anonymous
We've been together five months, and I fell for him, partly, because of how attentive and romantic he was. He really blew me away with cooked meals, and every time we came back to his after being out (for the good first few months) he'd light candles all round the house, and create a lovely atmosphere.

Now, nada. Meanwhile I've stepped the romance up in an attempt to rekindle it on his part, but nothing so far :p: I'm not expecting cooked meals every week, but it's little things like:-

- he always used to ask to see me more in advance, now the planning is slipping to last minute.
- Like I say, he used to 'set the mood' as it were for us sleeping over together - and the week we are going on a date thi w/e is usually the night I stop over. We are going to a thing the next day near to where he lives, so I asked if I should stay (because he hadn't mentioned it)...and his response was 'it'll be easier yeah'. Maybe I'm being over-sensitive, but it makes me feel like a convenience.
- Physical appearance - he's started not bothering to shave sometimes when I see him. We went out on a date (with him unshaved) and he commented on how he'd need to sort it out for the day - so he looked 'presentable' for a thing he was going to with friends and family!
- On another date, he didn't even bother to change/have a shower/put on aftershave after working all day...it was a thing I'd been looking forward to for ages/had really done myself up for, and I just felt like he'd made no effort.

Other than this, he still seems to care a lot about me - but as part of the reason I fell for him was his romantic side, I'm a bit off lately.

Ok, here's the truth about your guy and your situation. You're not going to like this, but I'm going to tell you how it is....

Basically, the 'romantic' personality your boyfriend displayed to you when you first met was just an act. Your boyfriend hasn't changed since he met you....he's simply reverted back to his true self.

Your boyfriend never was romantic. He never was someone who cared about his physical appearance. He never was someone who cooked dinners and did other romantic stuff. All that stuff was just an 'act' he put on in order to attract you....but now what he's 'got you', he no longer feels the need to do all that stuff any more.

Too many guys do this bull****. They put on all this 'fake romance' in order to GET the girl....but once they 'got her', they revert back to their usual, lazy, unremarkable self.

I know this will be hard for you to take....but it's true. Your boyfriend never was anyone special. It was just an act. And you fell for it. You fell in love/were attracted to your boyfriend's false self, not his real self. Now you've seen his real self. The truth always comes out eventually.

This is a mistake too many guys make. They think that once they've 'got' the girl that they can become lazy and not make any effort any more. But life doesn't work like that. By becoming lazy, they end up losing their girlfriends, and then they wonder why they lost her. It was all their own fault they lost her, because they misrepresented themself at the beginning, and then they got too comfortable and too lazy in the relationship.

Getting a girl and keeping a girl are two entirely separate things. It's easy to get a girl....keeping her is harder. Guys get lazy, and it's their own fault. Your boyfriend is just another average guy really; you can and should do better.
(edited 12 years ago)
Women do the above aswell. Its not a gender thing.

OP i think you need to ask yourself... What do i do for him?

Do you cook him meals? Make an effort?

I would guess the answer is No and YOU have taken him for granted.
Put more effort in and see what happens
Reply 6
Original post by language_man
Ok, here's the truth about your guy and your situation. You're not going to like this, but I'm going to tell you how it is....

Basically, the 'romantic' personality your boyfriend displayed to you when you first met was just an act. Your boyfriend hasn't changed since he met you....he's simply reverted back to his true self.

Your boyfriend never was romantic. He never was someone who cared about his physical appearance. He never was someone who cooked dinners and did other romantic stuff. All that stuff was just an 'act' he put on in order to attract you....but now what he's 'got you', he no longer feels the need to do all that stuff any more.

Too many guys do this bull****. They put on all this 'fake romance' in order to GET the girl....but once they 'got her', they revert back to their usual, lazy, unremarkable self.

I know this will be hard for you to take....but it's true. Your boyfriend never was anyone special. It was just an act. And you fell for it. You fell in love/were attracted to your boyfriend's false self, not his real self. Now you've seen his real self. The truth always comes out eventually.

This is a mistake too many guys make. They think that once they've 'got' the girl that they can become lazy and not make any effort any more. But life doesn't work like that. By becoming lazy, they end up losing their girlfriends, and then they wonder why they lost her. It was all their own fault they lost her, because they misrepresented themself at the beginning, and then they got too comfortable and too lazy in the relationship.

Getting a girl and keeping a girl are two entirely separate things. It's easy to get a girl....keeping her is harder. Guys get lazy, and it's their own fault. Your boyfriend is just another average guy really; you can and should do better.

Well, the thing is I don't quite think he is just an average guy now. :p: I mean, I would say that, as he is my boyfriend - but even before I met him, he was
known as the gentleman of his group of friends. Even when he wasn't chasing/pursuing any girl...that's just the way he was.

Now he still holds doors open for me and all that... but these points above bother me. I did bring it up and he apologised...and I explained my feelings. The
thing is, whenever I tell him how I feel about things, he immediately takes it on board and does something about it. But I do think you're right, about him reverting back to his true self now.

I was with a guy for three years and broke up with him over this before. I don't want it to happen again. I don't want to do better, because in a lot of personality aspects, humour etc, he is the best I've ever had. Need to stay in tune with my feelings though.

Thanks very much for your reply, appreciated!
Reply 7
Women do the above aswell. Its not a gender thing.

OP i think you need to ask yourself... What do i do for him?

Do you cook him meals? Make an effort?

I would guess the answer is No and YOU have taken him for granted.
Put more effort in and see what happens

If you look back to my post: 'Meanwhile I've stepped the romance up in an attempt to rekindle it on his part, but nothing so far :p:';
I have been more romantic since he's stopped being.
Well, the thing is I don't quite think he is just an average guy now

You keep telling yourself that. It's amazing how people can 'blind' themselves to a person's faults when you are 'in love' with them.

In truth, he IS just an average guy, it's just that your body is flooded with all these 'attraction' and 'in love' hormones and chemicals which give you the illusion that he's someone 'special'.

The very fact that you had to come onto a forum on the internet asking advice from a bunch of strangers, and you post anonymously and rant about your boyfriend 'changing' speaks volumes. If you were so 'happy' with your boyfriend, you wouldn't be posting here.
(edited 12 years ago)
If you look back to my post: 'Meanwhile I've stepped the romance up in an attempt to rekindle it on his part, but nothing so far :p:';
I have been more romantic since he's stopped being.

Ah didnt see that. I guess the poster saying he is just showing his true self is right then Providing you showed him grattitude through words and actions during when he was romantic / put effort in
Reply 10
You keep telling yourself that. It's amazing how people can 'blind' themselves to a person's faults when you are 'in love' with them.

In truth, he IS just an average guy, it's just that your body is flooded with all these 'attraction' and 'in love' hormones and chemicals which give you the illusion that he's someone 'special'.

The very fact that you had to come onto a forum on the internet asking advice from a bunch of strangers, and you post anonymously and rant about your boyfriend 'changing' speaks volumes. If you were so 'happy' with your boyfriend, you wouldn't be posting here.

Well, what makes a guy more than the 'average guy' then?

Yeah, I am bothered about this - but I'm still happie, tthan unhappy in the relationship. I wanted opinions, and to nip it in the bud, because I realise that could change.
Reply 11
Ah didnt see that. I guess the poster saying he is just showing his true self is right then Providing you showed him grattitude through words and actions during when he was romantic / put effort in

I think that maybe I want answers on the specific points in my question.

Because I am not saying that he doesn't make any kind of effort. But that not making effort in these areas bug me...and where is the line between being comfortable/taken for granted. I'd like thoughts from guys especially! (but all girls opinions much welcomed too!).
Reply 12
Original post by Foo.mp3
Correct. This is why it's better to make a bit of an effort from the outset, but generally just to be yourself :smile:

Also, society places a great deal more emphasis on female presentation so whilst he may be appreciative of you making an effort OP, he may not view it as wholly reasonable that he should have to

It's funny, I find the reverse is true, perhaps because I am shamelessly content to simply represent myself, warts and all, from the outset ~ 'struggle to get rid of em' :rolleyes:

Ice cold sucker! :mrt:

Ha. :smile:

Attachment not found

Most of it sounds like the former, though his comments about you coming over sounded like the later :s-smilie:

Yeah. I definitely felt rubbish about that comment. I suggested he could've been a bit more romantic about it, and he apologised, saying he did really want to see me, and that, well it would be 'easiest' for us to be 'romantic :smile:' if I stay. Lol.....he's never had a way with words.

I said that I was just concerned that he was getting comfortable...maybe he'll take this as a large hint. :wink: Maybe not.
Reply 13
He shouldn't have kept the romantic charade up for as long as he did but it really doesn't sound as if he's "taking you for granted". He wanted to win you over, which means he obviously cares about you a great deal, so he woo-ed you with gestures he knew you'd appreciate. Now things have settled down and he obviously thinks things are good enough between you not to have to do things like that all the time, which is fair enough. You've been together a while, things have obviously calmed down. If the romance means that much to you, maybe talk to him about a monthly date night?

look at all the **** you need him to do. when all he needs is you.

I'm not interested in a girl who needs to be fed fantasy on a endless basis.

Romance isn't faking, but if she can't deal with her boyfriend in a more comfortable phase/setting then that is her problem.

She is free to look elsewhere if she is simply after the choreographed dance of fantasy. You make it sound as if being yourself and feeling you can be yourself with someone is a bad thing.

This is the real world and things cannot be Titanic like romance story 24/7. If he is neglecting her needs that is one thing but if she is simply unable to deal with the changes in a relationship beyond the first honeymoon period like conditions then so be it. But hardly the boyfriends sole problem.
Reply 16
Original post by consumed by stuff
look at all the **** you need him to do. when all he needs is you.

Do you think so? I wonder how hewould feel, if I stopped making the effort, physically and otherwise.
Reply 17
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
I'm not interested in a girl who needs to be fed fantasy on a endless basis.

Romance isn't faking, but if she can't deal with her boyfriend in a more comfortable phase/setting then that is her problem.

She is free to look elsewhere if she is simply after the choreographed dance of fantasy. You make it sound as if being yourself and feeling you can be yourself with someone is a bad thing.

This is the real world and things cannot be Titanic like romance story 24/7. If he is neglecting her needs that is one thing but if she is simply unable to deal with the changes in a relationship beyond the first honeymoon period like conditions then so be it. But hardly the boyfriends sole problem.

Who said anything about an 'endless' basis?

I'm not asking for that. I'm glad that he can be himself with me, and that sometimes we can just vege out together etc. But, when we do go on proper dates, it would be nice if he made the effort. It is important not to let the spark die out; and still doing some of the little things you did when dating are part of that imo. This date I'm talking about was pretty big, and something we had planned for months. Surely there's no excuse, if he's making the effort for other people?

Well, Titanic wasn't exactly the romantic ideal considering the ending, but anyway...you also have to understand that it's not so easy just to adjust when he has been consistently romantic for so long. I've been in relationships before, and never was a guy ever so romantic, or romantic for so long. So yes, this experience might have changed my expectations a little.
Do you think so? I wonder how hewould feel, if I stopped making the effort, physically and otherwise.

i think if he did he would lt you know. i bet half the things you do? he would'nt really notice for a while if you had stopped doing them.
Reply 19
Original post by consumed by stuff
i think if he did he would lt you know. i bet half the things you do? he would'nt really notice for a while if you had stopped doing them.

Interesting...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending