The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Michael XYZ
I know but the issue is I also probably had an amazing period of time. I mean, I can't just triple every week and add weight and expect to keep going. The issue is what do I do when I can't do it?

Right now I'm torn between that and something like Ed Coan's style of training. Very basic periodisation really. I'm just not a massive fan of doing things like 2x8 though. I'm not sure there's much point in doing the higher reps as the main work. I am okay to do them lighter another day but not for the squat day, say.

With the former I'd have to kind of come up with some numbers to hit for a 10-week cycle or something. Like it can't just be day 1 max and do 182.5kg x 1 because no way am I gonna go in next week and just do 185kg and so on. It'd have to be like I want 5kg increase in that 10 weeks and sort out some numbers to get it.

When I hit maxes that I struggled to break, and knew that my diet, rest, and program were in good order, the only way I found to break through plateaus was to try very different set/rep schemes.
i'd say do sheiko especially as you came of low volume, it would be a nice change i i guess.
I know but the issue is I also probably had an amazing period of time. I mean, I can't just triple every week and add weight and expect to keep going. The issue is what do I do when I can't do it?

Right now I'm torn between that and something like Ed Coan's style of training. Very basic periodisation really. I'm just not a massive fan of doing things like 2x8 though. I'm not sure there's much point in doing the higher reps as the main work. I am okay to do them lighter another day but not for the squat day, say.

With the former I'd have to kind of come up with some numbers to hit for a 10-week cycle or something. Like it can't just be day 1 max and do 182.5kg x 1 because no way am I gonna go in next week and just do 185kg and so on. It'd have to be like I want 5kg increase in that 10 weeks and sort out some numbers to get it.

Can't comment on the squat but for benching why don't you try something in the range of 3x5 or 5x5... start with 80kg.. with increment of 2.5 every session , bench 3 times per week.. keep one session for volume and try a max out session every fortnight ..

Atm how many times do you bench per week ?

Incline benching helped me big time ...
(edited 11 years ago)
As I said before, for bench I think I will try something similar to Texas Method. For the other two lifts though I'm not exactly sure.

Or I may just use Ed Coan style training for all of them.

Not a fan of doing 3x5 and **** like that and keep increasing the weight. Sheiko is interesting but a bit too long and kinda boring looking.
Back up to a 200kg conventional deadlift without a belt. Conventional has always lagged behind sumo so good to get past that particular milestone. Did use straps though.
Reply 3985
Why not give 5/3/1 a go?
about 6sh months sheiko did f all for my bench and deadlift
Reply 3987
Original post by liftorrot

Incline benching helped me big time ...

How much do u bench ?

Think there was a new study out which showed that 8 sets > 4 sets which >>>> 1 set. Problem is the guys were going to failure I think, but it kinda cast more doubt on 5/3/1.

http://anthonycolpo.com/?p=3644
That really depends who their subjects were. A complete beginner will have better luck from doing more volume as their total poundage will still be low (they are weak).

At a higher level you would find it harder and harder to recover from very high volume. Things like Sheiko do work though, but I feel you really need to know how it works to make it work for you.

As I understand, they were written by Sheiko for one of his athletes. So many of us have just been copying straight off the bat some random athlete he trained. He has so many athletes though and it's more his knowledge and how to change the training than simply the %s you do.
Original post by commandant
:smile:

Hey,

I while ago you said you would send me some e-books regarding the kettlebells but you didn't get around to it. Any chance you could send them my way?

Prolly come up before, but has anyone read the T-Nation article where Pendlay talks about the push press as a better exercise than the strict press?

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/too_much_muscle_the_glenn_pendlay_secret

The push press has more carryover to pressing in general bench press etc. than any other upper body exercise. Show me a guy who can push press a big weight and he's going to be able to excel at any other pressing movement, even if he's never done it before.

A big bench presser doesn't get that same carryover. I don't want to have 400-pound bench pressers who can't do anything else. The guy who can do heavy push presses doesn't have that problem. He's strong at everything.

And that can't be done with the strict military press either. It's too hard to get it moving. You have such a weak point at the start that it limits the amount of weight you can use.

With a push press, you can put 10 to 20% more weight over your head. You're forced to develop the ability to recruit those muscle fibers very quickly because you're pushing the bar off your shoulders with your legs and then your arms have to come into play, fast, so it doesn't stall. The ability to do that is very, very valuable.

Second, with the push press there's just a huge overload at the top. That last six inches at the top is like doing a partial. That has a powerful effect on the body.
The push press will only improve the overhead press if your weakness is at the bottom. I improved my push press and it did nothing for my ohp. I good push presser will do ok at the bench press, not excel. It really depends on what your goals are. It maybe a great strength training exercise but if you are simply trying to work your shoulders then I wouldn't do it.

With the military press you train the shoulders through the full range of motion unless you do this weird variation when you catapult the weight off your shoulders using your hips. The same can't be said of the push press since once you get good at it the legs and the hips will end up doing the job of what the shoulders were there for.

You could mimic the effect of the last six inches by using accommodating resistance.
He doesn't train them? Well maybe not directly but I thought everything to do with powerlifting he was a part of at least so maybe others do it but it's all from his ideas/principles.

Malanichev only trains squat and deadlift once per week and if I'm not mistaken sheiko has you doing those lifts several times per week. He never mentions sheiko's principles in his power magazine interview. Balyaev might be doing some variation of it though since his coach says that he mostly trains himself now.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by alex_tait
Malanichev only trains squat and deadlift once per week and if I'm not mistaken sheiko has you doing those lifts several times per week. He never mentions sheiko's principles in his power magazine interview. Balyaev might be doing some variation of it though since his coach says that he mostly trains himself now.

Your body is lying to you.
Original post by alex_tait

You bought the power magazine?
Original post by danadd9
Prolly come up before, but has anyone read the T-Nation article where Pendlay talks about the push press as a better exercise than the strict press?

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/too_much_muscle_the_glenn_pendlay_secret

Interesting article. I've stuck with upper/lower body splits because it's worked so well for me in the past so it's great to hear it validated here.

Can someone explain what he means by concentric only exercise? So you push/pull the weight and drop it without lowering?
(edited 11 years ago)

Damn. Now that is hard work.
Original post by Adidas90
How much do u bench ?

Is that a genuine question ? check my blog .

Damn. Now that is hard work.

Amazing vid....it made me pretty happy.

Latest