The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1960
You're expecting us to know better than Pendlay?
Original post by Mdawg
You're expecting us to know better than Pendlay?

I doubt Pendlay wastes his time trainign mediocre athletes like us?
Original post by JasonTerryIsMyHero
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/too_much_muscle_the_glenn_pendlay_secret

Is this *******s or what? Obviously it makes great athletes that kind of training but do they pack on muscle because they're great athletes with great nutrition or does this kinda thing do a lot for hypertrophy?

If it's too good to be true, it usually is.

Let us remember that it's primarily the eccentric phase of the lift that builds the muscle - so what is the utility in concentric only workouts?

Now let us look at the muscle mass that different barbell athletes have. At the muscular end of the spectrum are the bodybuilders, unsurprisingly since they train solely for muscular hypertrophy. Next are the powerlifters and strongmen, who possess more strength than the bodybuilders but overall less muscle mass. Their training methods do, however, often include a lot of bodybuilding style training - in fact some of the powerlifters from the 80s like Kirk and Coan who could probably have passed for bodybuilders in their time trained very similar to bodybuilders.

Then weightlifters are typically quite far behind both, as evidenced by the fact that their weightclasses only go up to 105kg. There are plenty of weightlifters putting up big numbers in their respective lifts with what is practically no upper body development. The olympic lifts don't build muscle. When weightlifters want to build muscle they do stuff like squats, rows, dips, overhead etc. for reps, like a bodybuilder does.

What's likely happening is that athletes with very good genes whose prior weights routines included only bench and curls started doing cleans and snatches and squats and noticed that they very quickly added a lot of mass to their legs and backs.

But most people's experience probably says that if you want to look like a guy that lifts weights you've got to include some elements of bodybuilding in your workouts; just doing cleans, snatches, jerks and squats won't build any upper body muscle (unless you have elite genetics).
Look at Donny Shankle or some other lifters he has. They're not very muscular at all - although pretty darn strong of course.

I'm not sure about what he's saying and the problem of too much muscle. None of his lifters have much muscle mass really. Of course they don't really "need" it which is fine but I'm just saying. There's quite a few Oly lifters though (many Chinese) who do look pretty jacked.
Original post by Smack
If it's too good to be true, it usually is.

Let us remember that it's primarily the eccentric phase of the lift that builds the muscle - so what is the utility in concentric only workouts?

Now let us look at the muscle mass that different barbell athletes have. At the muscular end of the spectrum are the bodybuilders, unsurprisingly since they train solely for muscular hypertrophy. Next are the powerlifters and strongmen, who possess more strength than the bodybuilders but overall less muscle mass. Their training methods do, however, often include a lot of bodybuilding style training - in fact some of the powerlifters from the 80s like Kirk and Coan who could probably have passed for bodybuilders in their time trained very similar to bodybuilders.

Then weightlifters are typically quite far behind both, as evidenced by the fact that their weightclasses only go up to 105kg. There are plenty of weightlifters putting up big numbers in their respective lifts with what is practically no upper body development. The olympic lifts don't build muscle. When weightlifters want to build muscle they do stuff like squats, rows, dips, overhead etc. for reps, like a bodybuilder does.

What's likely happening is that athletes with very good genes whose prior weights routines included only bench and curls started doing cleans and snatches and squats and noticed that they very quickly added a lot of mass to their legs and backs.

But most people's experience probably says that if you want to look like a guy that lifts weights you've got to include some elements of bodybuilding in your workouts; just doing cleans, snatches, jerks and squats won't build any upper body muscle (unless you have elite genetics).

Cheers, I thought as much wrt too good to be true.

Also out of interest, how much higher would olympic standards be if there was an open class? Would we be looking at far higher records?
There is a superheavyweight category in olympic lifting. 105+ for men and 75+ for women.
Original post by JasonTerryIsMyHero
Cheers, I thought as much wrt too good to be true.

Also out of interest, how much higher would olympic standards be if there was an open class? Would we be looking at far higher records?

An open class? You can weigh as much as you want and compete in the 105+

EDIT: Ninja'd by Monk.
Oh right, thought 105kg was the upper limit.

how much do you weigh now man? you still cutting?
Really wish I had a bench or rack in my room.

Just to mess around with form and get this **** down. Nice to watch videos and do it ASAP instead of days later or whatever. :frown:
Jeremy Hoornstra: " I was doing 405 for reps when I was 17 at about 170 lbs."

Seriously, why do I even lift?
SMed was right about the metal ball
Original post by Gallium
how much do you weigh now man? you still cutting?
Completely forgot to weigh myself when I was meant to around the start of the month so thanks for reminding me lol, will weigh myself tommorow to see. Probably around 82kg.

May as well cut till mid August now - should be 12-14% bf then, maintain till October and give bulking a try and see what sort of mass I can gain. Going to train tommorow then take a couple of weeks off gym completely which I was all too familiar with last year where I probably did three weeks on, two off lol.

It's weird how I've got bigger and lost fat pretty much at the same time since I've started when people say you can't get stronger, gain mass and lose fat as a natty.

I think I tried the shaker without the ball a few months ago, it didn't really come out the same albeit the ball is probably in there as a placebo to make you think it's all being mixed as you can hear the ball hitting the shaker.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Tango189
Completely forgot to weigh myself when I was meant to around the start of the month so thanks for reminding me lol, will weigh myself tommorow to see. Probably around 82kg.

May as well cut till mid August now - should be 12-14% bf then, maintain till October and give bulking a try and see what sort of mass I can gain. Going to train tommorow then take a couple of weeks off gym completely which I was all too familiar with last year where I probably did three weeks on, two off lol.

It's weird how I've got bigger and lost fat pretty much at the same time since I've started when people say you can't get stronger, gain mass and lose fat as a natty.

I think I tried the shaker without the ball a few months ago, it didn't really come out the same albeit the ball is probably in there as a placebo to make you think it's all being mixed as you can hear the ball hitting the shaker.

i've not weighed myself in ages, reckon i'm around 74-75kg atm, have no clue on bodyfat not so good with estimating, going to keep gaining till 80kg then re-evaluate.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=37424655&postcount=1941

maybe you can give me a ballpark number,

i'm tempted to go for a bodyweight overheadpress tmoz,

grid shaker>>>ball thingy
All this is IMO, but I can notice quite a big difference in body fat in certain areas, front looks 12/13. Back and legs probably are around 14/15. I'd bulk to 90kg - if you do it properly should take you to the end of the year and you should be able to hit 100kg bench, 180/190 deadlift and 160 squat with not much trouble, maybe apart from the bench.

And there's a dude who is 16 in my gym around 95kg a bit shorter than your height who has a 140 bench and a 120 close grip bench and doesn't look too fat so don't worry about putting fat on if you're getting the mass and strength. Minicut and bulks will just add to the ADD and probably just leave you skinnyfat.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1976
What do you guys reckon is better for delt development? I want nice, round, full delts. Currently I do standing BB overhead press 5/3/1 followed by 5x10. Im thiking of switching to seated DB overhead press for thr 5x10, I only really feel military press on front delts and my delts never got big from doing that.
Past like 80% of my max I have quite a bit of trouble unracking heavy weight for the bench press. Now I know I could ask for a lift-off but at the gym I train at unfortunately most are ignorant of powerlifting and they'll pull the weight too much and shoulders will come forward or they'll spot you and help ASAP.

So I'm gonna try bench in the power rack (which I never really do) so I have safeties but, yes, the issue is unracking weight. Many times you hear people say to use your lats to get it to you; dragging the bar to your chest/belly and not pushing on it. But, yes, that's impossible with the pegs on the rack I have and you need to press it a little.

Issue is, if I press it then my shoulders are going to naturally come forward and then mess up the whole thing.

So what do you guys do? I do see some train alone and go for maxes so it's definitely doable.

Edit: Like Mike here does it fine and that's a huge weight although not sure what % it is for him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahb27xcE9XI
Original post by u4m1r
What do you guys reckon is better for delt development? I want nice, round, full delts. Currently I do standing BB overhead press 5/3/1 followed by 5x10. Im thiking of switching to seated DB overhead press for thr 5x10, I only really feel military press on front delts and my delts never got big from doing that.

db presses all the way for pure shoulder development. Much more freedom in terms of movement and involves more middle delt.
Original post by Tango189
All this is IMO, but I can notice quite a big difference in body fat in certain areas, front looks 12/13. Back and legs probably are around 14/15. I'd bulk to 90kg - if you do it properly should take you to the end of the year and you should be able to hit 100kg bench, 180/190 deadlift and 160 squat with not much trouble, maybe apart from the bench.

And there's a dude who is 16 in my gym around 95kg a bit shorter than your height who has a 140 bench and a 120 close grip bench and doesn't look too fat so don't worry about putting fat on if you're getting the mass and strength. Minicut and bulks will just add to the ADD and probably just leave you skinnyfat.

i think i'll hit a 100kg bench in a few months, my bench and ohp are going up nicely. already got a 140kg squat and 180 deadlift, just need to get exams done so i can hit some juicy prs.

i was actually leaner in January but i ate alot and din't really train much for a while so put on the fatzzz.

Latest