The Student Room Group

I've had my Driving licence revoked but now I have a job offer. What would you do?

Right,

Well, I was caught speeding 44mph in a 30 zone (non-pedestrian and late at night) which is Band B and I already have taken a speed awareness course. I was caught talking on a mobile phone (in a slow moving traffic queue :rolleyes: ) earlier in the year. Unfortunately, I was 2 months off my probationary period under the New Drivers Act so I have just had my licence revoked as I have amassed 6 points in under 2 years. I have already applied to the DVLA for a new provisional licence but I will need to do my theory and practical test again.

I drove about 20000-30000 miles a year in my first two years of driving due to the nature of the job I had, much more than the average first driver or any driver for that matter which makes me resent the New Drivers Act quite a bit... but anyway rules are rules and I broke them so that's that.

I have been working freelance so it is ok at the moment but I've just been offered a good job and now I don't know what to do.... I interviewed for it a while ago when I still had my licence. I need a car to get to sites etc, it isn't office based unfortunately, some of it is night work as well.

I do have an interview tomorrow for a job I'd probably rather have, to be honest, which is more local but there is no guarantee I'll get it or if I'll find out tomorrow if I have got it.

The woman who offered me the job emailed me today asking when I can start and saying that ideally she wants me next week or the week after.

What would you do? :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

WWID?

Call the job up, tell them you've lost your licence, see if the job is still doable. If not, go for the other interview.
Original post by Anonymous
Right,

Well, I was caught speeding 44mph in a 30 zone (non-pedestrian and late at night) which is Band B and I already have taken a speed awareness course. I was caught talking on a mobile phone (in a slow moving traffic queue :rolleyes: ) earlier in the year.

You knew the rules and you broke them.
Reply 3
Original post by Wilfred Little
You knew the rules and you broke them.

Helpful :rolleyes:
Reply 4
Original post by mikeyd85
WWID?

Call the job up, tell them you've lost your licence, see if the job is still doable. If not, go for the other interview.

Don't mean to sound like a 'tard but how would you phrase it? It's such a bad first impression....
Helpful :rolleyes:

Just being honest, the bits in brackets were unnecessary, just take responsibility for what you did.
Reply 6
Original post by Wilfred Little
Just being honest, the bits in brackets were unnecessary, just take responsibility for what you did.

I'll accept the speeding but the mobile phone was a bit of a joke. There was no danger whatsoever when you're sat in a queue. Dick of an officer.

Anyway, I haven't disputed any of it admitted guilt straight away both times so I think that counts as taking responsibility.
Don't mean to sound like a 'tard but how would you phrase it? It's such a bad first impression....

"I no longer have access to a car". Unless they're providing you with a company car.

Probably with an air of sheepishness tbh! Much like a child admitting to breaking a glass of milk. Just got to be honest with them. I don't envy you having to make that call though!
Reply 9
Original post by mikeyd85
Probably with an air of sheepishness tbh! Much like a child admitting to breaking a glass of milk. Just got to be honest with them. I don't envy you having to make that call though!

Urgh, wish me luck.
Reply 10
I'll accept the speeding but the mobile phone was a bit of a joke. There was no danger whatsoever when you're sat in a queue. Dick of an officer.

Oh please :rolleyes:

You've lost my sympathy completely. There's zero tolerance of mobile phones and you knew that. You could easily have pulled away mid phone call or similar and been distracted enough to pull out in front of someone or nudge a pedestrian into another car.
I think you should just book your tests now. say you need 2 weeks notice and can start your new job in 2 weeks... which will buy you time, then pay a good friend to drive you about until you can get your license back :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by james1211
Oh please :rolleyes:

You've lost my sympathy completely. There's zero tolerance of mobile phones and you knew that. You could easily have pulled away mid phone call or similar and been distracted enough to pull out in front of someone or nudge a pedestrian into another car.

Not bothered, I didn't come on here for sympathy just advice.
Reply 13
Original post by RachelSophia
I think you should just book your tests now. say you need 2 weeks notice and can start your new job in 2 weeks... which will buy you time, then pay a good friend to drive you about until you can get your license back :smile:

The DVLA hasn't sent me my provisional licence yet and you can't book it without that but thanks for the suggestion about paying a friend, not a bad idea.
As a non-driver this may be COMPLETELY retarded but it sounds like you're not banned from driving you just have to start again? If that's the case can't you drive certain mopeds under a provisional? You'll look like a 16 y/o but could be a short term solution?
Reply 15
Original post by monk_keys
As a non-driver this may be COMPLETELY retarded but it sounds like you're not banned from driving you just have to start again? If that's the case can't you drive certain mopeds under a provisional? You'll look like a 16 y/o but could be a short term solution?

You're not retarded at all as that is exactly the situation, it is revocation not a ban. I have already considered a moped (you have to take some induction course and that is it) but not sure I'd be able to cover the distances required... I'm about an hour away from their head office as it is (by car using the motorway) and the sites are likely to be as far if not further.

Good suggestion though.
Reply 16
Ask if they will provide you with a chauffeur.
If they have a company car, you can register for one.
Reply 18
Original post by BonjournoDeano
If they have a company car, you can register for one.

But he can't drive it with a revoked license...
Reply 19
Finally worked up the courage to call and it went to her answerphone. Argh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending