The Student Room Group

Job interview at new look

I have a interview at New Look at 3pm next saturday .

I need ideas on questions and what to wear for the interview

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by smartie94

Thanks

As it is a clothes shop, you may want to wear some clothes from their shop but make sure they are smart ie black trousers and a blouse
Good luck
Ursa
Reply 2
A friend of mine works at New Look and she once told me that they dont really appreciate people turning up head to toe in New Look gear(something to do with looking like your sucking up), They prefer you dress formally i.e Black trousers, white shirt type of thing
Reply 3
No idea, but Good luck :smile:
The ideas on what to wear are good. Read what you can about the company and always be prepared to ask questions. Interviewers like that. Think about when you have had good customer service (and bad) and be prepared to talk about it. This is often asked at interviews for retail jobs. Most important of all, keep good eye contact and smile. You'll be great.
Reply 5

Thanks

When I had an interview at Next, they asked, what are the current trends?, what does good customer service mean to you?

Dress formal, but keep it fashionable also, nothing to dull and boring, places like new look would like someone is fashionable.

Good luck!
Reply 6
i worked as christmas staff in my local new look store and i would recommend to dress stylishly rather than black trousers and a shirt. the uniform in the store is what is in stock in the store. this is in order to promote sales so they want to see that you can dress in their clothes well and make customers want to buy those pieces. that doesnt mean you have to dress in new look for the interview, i didnt, but i do know that the manager told me after that it was my unique style which made me stand out, especially as mine was a group interview. so if your stores staff dress in this way thnen definitely go for style. still keep it smart, but smart in a stylish way that isnt so run of the mill. that is my personal opinion with the store anyway. as for questions, i was mostly asked questions such as what i could bring to the store and how i would help a specific type of woman (ie. a pregnant woman, a girl for a night out, a mature woman, etc..) if asked for assistance. hope this helped! good luck with the interview. :smile:
Reply 7
Thanks guys , this has really helped :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Also, for me, they asked me to choose an outfit for a 25 yo on a night out :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9

Thanks

I've done two interviews there - I worked in New Look for a year, and I recently did another interview as I'm hoping to work there again this summer.

They don't expect you to dress too formally (suit trousers, white shirt, etc), but you should definitely make an effort. I would recommend a sort of "smart-casual" look - try to look current, but not too casual.

Here are a few ideas for you...
- Skater dress with black tights and pumps - accessorise with a necklace, belt to pull in the waist. They're selling these at the moment, so it'd be a good idea to buy one of theirs to wear.
- Black skirt with a blouse and cardi. Again, accessorise. They really, really encourage staff to wear little accessories to complete an outfit, so if you can show that you're able to do that in your interview then it'll score you some extra points.
- Black skinnies (not blue wash, too casual. Also must be nice-fitting, not faded etc) with a top. Again, a blouse would look nice, or a peplum style (they're still selling some in New Look)

Also, sounds a bit trivial, but make an effort with your hair, nails and make up. Not too much, but enough to complement your outfit and pull together your look. Obviously since it's a clothes store there is an emphasis on appearance and it's actually part of the employee guide thingy that we should make an effort with makeup and so on.

They sometimes (not always!) ask you to pick out an outfit for someone - e.g. for a 22-year old girl on a night out to a restaurant. You'll be expected to put together an on-trend look complete with shoes and accessories. My advice is to keep it simple and don't try to be too "out-there" or adventurous. Stick to what you know works. If they do ask you to do this task, it helps if you know the shop layout (i.e. roughly where all the new, up to date stuff is - front! - where the basics are, where the shoes are, etc), so try and pop in a few days before your interview to get a basic idea.

As for questions - it varies, not all managers ask the same. Usual themes are your strengths (hard-working, approachable and friendly are good things to say), they might also ask you about any weaknesses you have (never say "I have none!" - try to think of something you can talk about and how you are improving etc). A couple of questions I've had - my biggest achievement to date, what was the best customer service I have recieved and why, the best deed I have carried out recently, what springs to mind when you think of New Look as a company.... Questions like these are likely to come up, as well as others, they vary from store to store.

Hope this helps, and good luck :smile:
Reply 10
I remember when I had an interview Years ago, They gave me a celebrity to dress, I think I had J.Lo. I had 5-10mins to go around the store to pick out a whole outfit and I had to explain why I had chosen it.
Reply 11

Thanks

How did you apply to new look? online?
Reply 12
Emelie 18 :
I've chosen a black tube skirt , cream blouse top , black cardigan and black heel shoes from new look

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Panic girl :
I applied as they had an advert in the window so I gave in my cv in February and 3 months later in may I got an interview

Posted from TSR Mobile
just come across this i know it's late but in case anyone else is reading and needs help! i had an interview i wore newlook high waisted trousers printed ones tucked in with a black top and a statement necklace so it was fashionable and smart. There were around 25 people there and we had to individually look for a celebrity outfit i had alexa chung who in my opinion is a great style icon so i chose an outfit that was suitable to her and we had to show our outfit to the rest of the group, that was quite nerve racking! then we had our one to one interview only a few went forword with this and they were basic questions why do you want to work for newlook, what are your skills, when have you worked in a group etc basic interview questions! just be yourself dont come across too over confident thats off putting and rock the interview!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending