The Student Room Group

Why do guys never approach me am I intimidating or unattractive?

I'm 20 so for a while I've noticed whenever I'm out in a bar or club anything I rarely get approached by guys. Now usually I don't pay too much attention to guys as I usually just focus on spending time with friends then getting off with some guy in a club. Guys do approach my friends but never me. I know I do feel awkward a lot of the time in clubs as I don't really know anyone and just speak to friends and only after a few drinks I relax and have fun more. Even on the dancefloor I don't really get approached either but again I feel slightly awkward I'm just not into the whole club scene really it makes me feel awkward but I do like it to an extent . Once my friends friend who didn't know me at the time randomly asked me if I'm shy which I can be at times. I do get guys who randomly try to kiss me sometimes and I walk away thats it really.

Usually I'm not the type of girl to dress with everything on show either I wear a nice dress or tops with shorts or some kind of skirts. wear loads of fake tan, plaster on my make up. I go gym a few times a week to keep fit.

I did have success to an extent on a dating website joined for about 2-3months met up with about 7-8 guys. Only one or two were terrible the rest were okay but only liked 1/2 out of all those guys and they didn't contact me again anyway. I was talkative, I don't know if it was my body language. Another guy who I didn't meet up with but was after more when I said I wasn't looking for that he said "yeah I thought you might say that you seem classy" and continued talking to me and respected me I guess.

I'm not totally shy either like I'm really talkative with my trainer or anyone else like hairdressers etc. I make an effort to get to know them and even in a concert queue I've started talking to people and being friendly.

What could I be doing wrong that I can't attract any guys?or would I be seen as intimidating if I'm not as outgoing as my friends? or my overall body language?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
. wear loads of fake tan, plaster on my make up.

Here is your problem.
Reply 2

[I?] wear loads of fake tan, plaster on my make up.

You sound like a lovely person :smile: but overdoing the make-up and fake tan can be really unattractive... (I presume you meant you do that as that is what your post suggests).
Reply 3
Original post by Historicity
Here is your problem.

Oh no typo I meant to say I don't wear lots of fake tan and plaster on my make up. I keep it natural ish either emphasizing my eyes or lips.
Reply 4
Having not seen you, I cannot say whether you're unattractive or not. So, I'll assume you're attractive. Perhaps you seem intimidating or uninterested and guys assume they won't have a chance with you. :dontknow:
Reply 5
I am always awkward in club situations the standing around usually if there is many to talk to or some I go with know loads of others and would go off to people.
I did okay on the dating site I guess but I didn't act awkward or shy when I met any of them.
Reply 6
Maybe the club scene is just not right for me? as I don't feel too comfortable there even when I feel like I'm looking my best I still feel uncertain about myself at times.
Reply 7
Maybe the club scene is just not right for me? as I don't feel too comfortable there even when I feel like I'm looking my best I still feel uncertain about myself at times.

Hmm yeah that could be or your giving off a vibe that your not confident etc, like you said, you have walked a way from guys etc. We can't say your unattractive as we haven't seen you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alcohol is your friend :colone: :colone: :colone:
Reply 9
Keep the natural look
Reply 10
How can you be 20 years old and be this insecure, hmm, maybe you should forget about looks for a second and think about building some confidence first.

there is nothing more attractive than a chick who is confident, men don't like the over the top feminist type though, but definitely not the insecure type either.
Reply 11
I guess it possibly is the whole body language thing since I did meet a few guys off a dating site. I usually am engaged in the conversation and that but I usually won't try and touch them really.
Reply 12
Original post by Baraf
How can you be 20 years old and be this insecure, hmm, maybe you should forget about looks for a second and think about building some confidence first.

there is nothing more attractive than a chick who is confident, men don't like the over the top feminist type though, but definitely not the insecure type either.

it generally depends where I am in certain places and who I'm with .
Usually in clubs I'm not too confident and feel awkward anywhere else I'm more talkative and feel more relaxed . I'm quite in between I can be confident but other times shy, I'm pretty independent. I wouldn't ever openly put myself down either so no one would really know as I'm generally positive and optimistic.
Reply 13
it generally depends where I am in certain places and who I'm with .
Usually in clubs I'm not too confident and feel awkward anywhere else I'm more talkative and feel more relaxed . I'm quite in between I can be confident but other times shy, I'm pretty independent. I wouldn't ever openly put myself down either so no one would really know as I'm generally positive and optimistic.

if you feel awkward then you probably not having a good time and also is displayed in your body language, maybe that deteres guys from approuching you, but honestly if you a decent looking las most guys will probably make a move anyway. :colone:
[QUOTE=Anonymous;42801380 when I said I wasn't looking for that he said "yeah I thought you might say that you seem classy" and continued talking to me and respected me I guess

This is why. You don't come across as easy so obviously you won't get approached as much on a night out. This isn't a bad thing and will work in your favour with older 'classier' guys which you'd probably prefer anyway.
Reply 15
Original post by Nomes89
This is why. You don't come across as easy so obviously you won't get approached as much on a night out. This isn't a bad thing and will work in your favour with older 'classier' guys which you'd probably prefer anyway.

Hmm that must be why I mainly attract older guys as well if someone was to chat me up or even on the dating site most guys were 22-27 that messaged me.
Isit my look that would seem classy? or my attitude?
My friends who do get approached they're more open and fun but one has a boyfriend and is really pretty anyway.
Stop going gym, maybe you're too DENCH
Reply 17
I might try the dating site again I didn't put too much effort in when I joined the first time I didn't think I'd get messaged at all.
To be honest, what I've found is that guys don't look at you twice if you don't wear a lot of makeup/a tight dress in a nightclub. It doesn't mean you aren't attractive or that you're intimidating, but the kind of girl wearing a dress that shows herself off is going to draw attention, especially someplace like a club.

You sound a lot like me. I have gotten attention in clubs only a few times. Every guy that's ever shown more than a passing 3 second interest in me has been a friend, so someone who actually knows me, or someone I met online (:rolleyes:), so also someone whose first impression of me is going to be, for example on TSR, my posts on here. So I wouldn't stress yourself out about this, but I'd only go to the club if you feel like a fun night out with your friends and drinking, and try to meet guys other places :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by desdemonata
To be honest, what I've found is that guys don't look at you twice if you don't wear a lot of makeup/a tight dress in a nightclub. It doesn't mean you aren't attractive or that you're intimidating, but the kind of girl wearing a dress that shows herself off is going to draw attention, especially someplace like a club.

Really? See I've found the opposite with me - when I wear more natural makeup and a less skanky dress I've gotten a lot more attention in clubs. Possibly because I look like a drag queen with a lot of makeup. A friend of mine even went dressed in old jeans and converse once and I've never seen someone get so much attention :lol: But I do agree with you to an extent - and IMO you shouldn't be disappointed about not getting attention in clubs OP, they're rarely the kind of men you'll start lasting relationships with anyway :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending