The Student Room Group

How many drinks before I can be confident in approaching girls?

I'm 21 and have never had alcohol before. How many beers before I start to feel tipsy/confident but not 'off my face' by any means. I am a virgin, been overweight through my undergraduate uni degree which hasn't helped along with being a miserable git. Trying to lose the weight this year before i go back and I am not really ugly, just fat. When i was 18, I was in good shape and got more attention, but never had girlfriend largely due to not putting the effort into having a great social life.

Any levels of drunkenness you could describe? I am considering experimenting with a drinking little bit to just 'loosen up' the anxiety of approaching girls and fit in a little more. Don't want to drink as much as the general uni lad, but just a few every week or 2.

Oh, and I am currently 94kg, 5'11. Lost a few KG but look slim at around 80kg.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Just drink and you'll feel yourself when you're "tipsy" and feel like you have more confidence.

I would stick to beer, and avoid doing shots or anything like that.
Reply 2
Original post by BCcfc92
I'm 21 and have never had alcohol before. How many beers before I start to feel tipsy/confident but not 'off my face' by any means. I am a virgin, been overweight through my undergraduate uni degree which hasn't helped along with being a miserable git. Trying to lose the weight this year before i go back and I am not really ugly, just fat. When i was 18, I was in good shape and got more attention, but never had girlfriend largely due to not putting the effort into having a great social life.

Any levels of drunkenness you could describe? I am considering experimenting with a drinking little bit to just 'loosen up' the anxiety of approaching girls and fit in a little more. Don't want to drink as much as the general uni lad, but just a few every week or 2.

Thanks

If you're still a virgin by the age of 14, forget it. Never mind, 21. Jesus. Anyway, if you want to become a real man, I suggest you drain the contents of half a bottle of whisky, so your lower brain overrides your upper one.
Original post by BCcfc92

Thanks
You need to find a natural way to alleviate your social anxiety.

Alcohol should be used as a way to have fun, not as a drug to self-medicate the psychological symptoms associated with your social anxiety. :smile:

I personally believe you should consider an alternative strategy to reduce your anxiety.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by honeywhite
If you're still a virgin by the age of 14, forget it. Never mind, 21. Jesus. Anyway, if you want to become a real man, I suggest you drain the contents of half a bottle of whisky, so your lower brain overrides your upper one.

yeah, but boys school, restrictive parents, shyness, minimal contact with girls and 2-3 stone overweight for the time that I was.
Reply 5
Original post by honeywhite
what do you mean 'forget it'? i'm 23 and a virgin. forget what?

OP with regard to your drink, if you have never drunk alcohol then 1 beer will probably take you over the edge.
Reply 6
Original post by los lobos marinos

Alcohol should be used as a way to have fun, not as a drug to self-medicate the psychological symptoms associated with your social anxiety. :smile:

I personally believe you should consider an alternative strategy to reduce your anxiety.

Thanks. I think you are right and a lot of the anxiety will be lost with the weight loss. I had problems with binge eating. If I lose the fat, I would have an attractive physique and I am an good athlete.

I still would consider it though, just to enjoy life a bit more with mates, who all drink! I have plenty of close and general friends but am a little bit left out once night time comes.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Try 15 to start with, and if you feel you need more it's all good.
Reply 8
Pointless thread
Been watching way to much Big Bang theory mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by BCcfc92

Thanks

That's kinda of dependant on how quickly your bobdy metabalises it, but generally for me one or two shots are enough to give me "dutch courage"
Reply 11
3.14159265359 drinks :rolleyes:

Spoiler

I find three double rum and cokes are my magic number.
Anywhere from one to five is probably enough for most people if they're not wanting to get pissed.

Original post by los lobos marinos

I would agree and disagree. I think if you have such a large barrier, it can really help to have a push over the edge. I mean, if you've never kissed anyone, then happen to get tipsy and have the courage to finally do it, that can give you a huge confidence boost. Even when sober. It's what happened to me. That doesn't mean that alcohol suddenly becomes the answer to all your problems, but it's given you that all-important first step. I think it depends on whether you think you did it just because you were drinking, or if you did it yourself, but the drink gave you a little push.

I certainly wouldn't say there's anything wrong with trying alcohol to improve your confidence, just to get you over that barrier, as long as you realize it's only an aid and isn't going to produce miracles on its own.

Also, OP. You can obviously try drinking now, and having a couple won't hurt, but I wouldn't make it a regular thing until you're down to your target weight. Alcohol is quite a calorific drink on it's own, not to mention the drunken chippies and junk food it makes you crave. It can play havoc with someone trying to control their weight. I'd wait until you have a good understanding of how much you want to be taking in before properly starting. Otherwise it could actually just reduce your confidence because you're failing to meet your goals.
2.453 litres, make sure to measure it carefully.
Everyone has a different tolerance for alcohol so your only option is to experiment.

I have no medical justification for what I'm about to say but something tells me the OP might be quite a depressive drinker. Remember that alcohol doesn't bring out the best in everyone and maybe having a couple of beers with some friends would be a good way of testing the waters.

That said, if you've got to the age of 21 without having a drink (or at least getting drunk), you clearly aren't someone who cares for it, so meeting someone who presumably does drink whilst you're drunk is a bit of a false prospectus. Asking people out, particularly for the first time, is scary and frankly it makes more of a statement if the question comes from a man who can stand up unsupported.
Original post by Bassetts
what do you mean 'forget it'? i'm 23 and a virgin. forget what?

OP with regard to your drink, if you have never drunk alcohol then 1 beer will probably take you over the edge.

not you again, stop being a bender
Reply 17
Yeah dude, I been on this site for two days and every other thread has you saying how much of a virgin you are. If you spent all that time actually trying to get laid you probably wouldn't be a virgin by now.

OP, you say you're a little fat so it'll take more than average. I'd say a few shots of something would do the trick. Beer tastes like piss and will take a few pints to get you anywhere, shots, as their name suggests, will get you there much quicker. Just have one and wait a bit to see how you feel if you're worried.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Bigmanting10
not you again, stop being a bender
i want to know why that guy said 'if you're still a virgin by the age of 14, forget it'. what was he referring to?
Reply 19
People who drink alcohol for confidence are weak minded.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending