The Student Room Group

I have a problem involving my ex's older brother

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shaun1991
What sort of family invites their son's ex, who he purposely avoids, to spend time with them. Stick to someone your own age, he'll only get bored of you.

Our mums are really close..they didn't know we were dating,they thought us to be good friends
Reply 21
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I didn't actually think about that...do you think he's after something else?

Certainly after something.
Reply 22
wait, if you can't take it, be with him. but he needs to aswell give you space. if in a bout time you both have feelings for eachother then give it a try. if you don't then thats it
Original post by A5ko
Certainly after something.

Oh my god that sick twisted b***tard... I'm going to ask him why a sixteen year old
Original post by jaejoong
wait, if you can't take it, be with him. but he needs to aswell give you space. if in a bout time you both have feelings for eachother then give it a try. if you don't then thats it

Errrr I'll try! I don't know whats really happening with him and his mind
Reply 25
maybe he thinks he can manipulate you cuz you're younger. but you are a smart girl from the looks of it so don't let him toy you. play his game if you want.
Reply 26
Original post by A5ko
I'm not saying it's not acceptable. Age gaps exist, I'm just saying at that age bracket (16-23) it just strikes me as rather pathetic.

^^^^This

A 16 and 23 year old are really not going to be on the same level as far as maturity, what you each are looking for, and life goals. The age gap itself isn't horrible, but its much more noticeable at younger ages.

A 23 and 30 year old wouldn't be too much of a difference. And a 43 and 50 year old would be pretty much no difference.

I think for a 16 year old look for only up to a 2-3 year gap. Once you get to university and start gaining more life experiences the gaps will seem smaller. Hope that helped.
Original post by jaejoong
maybe he thinks he can manipulate you cuz you're younger. but you are a smart girl from the looks of it so don't let him toy you. play his game if you want.

I've known him for a long time and he'd never do such a thing...I'm going to ask him what he's playing at
Hi guys, I was in a relationship about a year ago so me and the guy avoid talking to each other a lot. Anyway, as a result of our relationship, I was introduced to his parents, his 3 older brothers and his sister. I still talk to his family and they invite me out and all. So anyway me and one of his brothers, (I'll call him Henry) got talking and I didn't make anything of it. The thing is, he recently told me that he liked me and he was willing to wait for me so we can date (I'm sixteen, he's twenty three in November)...I like him back because he's cute, clever and really nice but I don't know what I'd do with my ex if he found out about me and his brother. Our friends and his siblings know but my ex doesn't. So what do I do?

Stay awaaaaaaaay. Honestly, just don't. I don't like the sound of this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by beccaf87
^^^^This

A 16 and 23 year old are really not going to be on the same level as far as maturity, what you each are looking for, and life goals. The age gap itself isn't horrible, but its much more noticeable at younger ages.

A 23 and 30 year old wouldn't be too much of a difference. And a 43 and 50 year old would be pretty much no difference.

I think for a 16 year old look for only up to a 2-3 year gap. Once you get to university and start gaining more life experiences the gaps will seem smaller. Hope that helped.

I think you're right maturity wise...and yeah it seems weird at my age...what about when I get to eighteen or something?
Original post by ArsenalObsessed
Stay awaaaaaaaay. Honestly, just don't. I don't like the sound of this

Posted from TSR Mobile

The more I come to think of it, the more weirder it seems. Dw there's no way in hell I'll let him do something that I don't want...If he does, my foot will be going into somewhere where it hurts
Reply 31
I've known him for a long time and he'd never do such a thing...I'm going to ask him what he's playing at

I don't know either of you so I can't really say much. But what I will say is that just because you think you know someone, doesn't mean you do. Not saying this to be mean. Just more of a warning. I had a guy friend I had known for several years. He was almost like a brother. I never would have guessed that one night he and his friends would get me drunk and assault me. Luckily, it stopped before it got too far but I haven't seen or spoken to him since. I was in complete shock. Sometimes people will surprise you in the wrong way. Not saying this guy will, but do be careful.
I don't know either of you so I can't really say much. But what I will say is that just because you think you know someone, doesn't mean you do. Not saying this to be mean. Just more of a warning. I had a guy friend I had known for several years. He was almost like a brother. I never would have guessed that one night he and his friends would get me drunk and assault me. Luckily, it stopped before it got too far but I haven't seen or spoken to him since. I was in complete shock. Sometimes people will surprise you in the wrong way. Not saying this guy will, but do be careful.

Oh god I'm so sorry about the assault! I hope you're fine! Ok I'll be careful around him xx
Reply 33
I think you're right maturity wise...and yeah it seems weird at my age...what about when I get to eighteen or something?

Use your best judgement. I stayed within 3 years of age for every guy I have dated. Even now at 26 I would probably only date up to 30-32 but that is my own personal preference.
Use your best judgement. I stayed within 3 years of age for every guy I have dated. Even now at 26 I would probably only date up to 30-32 but that is my own personal preference.

No no I get where you're coming from :smile: Ok I'll be careful around him x
TBH....the age gap isn't really that much a problem. It is the ages

Add in the brother thing....then it makes it really odd.

Having said that...he might be a nice guy and actually like you, though I don't know what could be that interesting about a 16 year old.
We just ****ed up his chances of scoring lol.
Original post by So Instinct
We just ****ed up his chances of scoring lol.

Hahah noo he's an evangelical who goes to church every sunday but haha thanks anyway :smile: x
Reply 38
You're going to have to tell your ex at some point, as they are family and all. If he has a problem with it, I'd definitely stay away. You don't want to mess up their family relationship.
Though the age gap is a bit of a flag for me at this moment, I don't know this guy so I can't immdately say he's trying to take advantage or something along those lines. If you're uncomfortable with it, don't go into the relationship. If you're unsure, he said he'd "wait for you" so take him at his word. If at any point he tries to pressure you into the relationship because he's "waiting long enough" then don't go there.

Also I just read the replies you said his family doesn't know you and your ex dated. Does the brother expect to hide your relationship as well?
(edited 10 years ago)
The more I come to think of it, the more weirder it seems. Dw there's no way in hell I'll let him do something that I don't want...If he does, my foot will be going into somewhere where it hurts

Yeah, honestly. A 23 year old is going to think very differently to a 16 year old, so I would definitely suggest you stay away. If you were say, 18 or 19 then it wouldn't seem as bad, but 16? I just don't like the sound of it.

Stay safe! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending