The Student Room Group

Dating someone who's totally different to you

I love my boyfriend dearly but this has been wearing away at me for a while now. We're doing totally different things with our lives and i'm worried about whether we'll have a future or not. And if so, whether that future will be bright or be the failure of our relationship. I have the tendancy to overthink things, but this is really bothering me.

Here are our differences-
1) i'm doing a 4 year science degree + he works full time behind a bar.
2) I really want to do something amazing with my life, work really hard and get somewhere + he's quite happy to do the same dead-end job he's been doing all his working life
3) I have many hobbies and love to do lots of things with my day. I hate being bored and love to be busy + He is happy to sleep/sit around doing nothing on his days off
4) I love to talk about the future and plan things + he doesn't plan anything and seems reluctant to discuss anything relating to our future at all
5) His family and my family are total opposites. I fear they won't get on well at all.

So these are the reasons i'm worried. No intention to break up with him cos I would be completely heartbroken. I do feel like he's the one, but I just don't know how its going to work.

Differences aside, we do get on amazingly well and are very affectionate, respectful of each other and very much in love. He makes me laugh and smile. I just fear that our different lifestyles could tear us apart one day, it really scares me. What do you think?
Share our similarities, celebrate our differences.
Some of the things you said are things that will become a bigger and bigger issue as you grow together. You will probably be earning more than him, therefore afford to go out to more places. He doesn't want to go out anyway, it's a matter of time before he gets jealous of these things. He doesn't seem like anyone that cares.

For me, I don't mind differences such as different hobbies and favourite films, because you learn and experience new things. But when you both have different mentalities, then that's difficult to work with.
It already sounds like there could be potential conflicts there. You sound unhappy with his outlook on life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending