The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Where is this sexual marketplace?

EDIT: My, uh, "friend" wants to know...for science.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I think even you women have to admit if you're honest that you are pretty bloody demanding and tough on guys these days.

Generally speaking, the guys may be the problem rather than the women.
Have you thought that maybe it's the guys who are too picky?
Reply 4
Maybe the wrong guys are meeting the wrong girls at the wrong time, under the wrong circumstances.
The universe should balance out and the right guy, will meet the right girl at the right time in the right circumstances (when they both are or become available).
Reply 5
What an ill-informed and naive statement (not to mention a sweeping generalisation).

Describing sexual affairs as a marketplace really shows the problem - some girls are interesting in a relationship, some aren't. You can't assume that everyone will choose everyone of equal "attractiveness"; they will just want to go with whoever they want to go with. If you understood women more, you'd realise they're at their own liberty to ask out whoever they want, in the same way that a man is. It's not some one-sided thing where all the girls are attractive and picky and all the guys are just waiting to be picked. It's time to man up and get stuck in.

But first, grow up a bit.
Saying 'Sexual marketplace' is a turnoff for starters.
Reply 7
Sorry to disappoint you, but women have never dropped their knickers just because a random guy expected it.

What may have changed is that women are less desperate to find a husband, or at least to find a husband right away, but that actually has improved your "marketplace", as they try out more men as a consequence.

The number of sexual partners per woman is higher than ever these days. So if you are not successful, it's probably because you are not attractive - in whatever sense of the word. Based on this thread I can't say I'm surprised.
Reply 8
By describing a mythical 'marketplace' YOU are what's wrong. You obviously think and care too much!
Reply 9
Wow it's as if women are people with their own preferences that don't exist solely to cater to your desires. Shocking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
We're considered products at a marketplace now, huh? :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
This goes both ways men and women are becoming a lot more picky when selecting their potential partners.
Reply 12
I wouldn't state that it's just females.

It is afterall human nature to keep "shooting higher"...how do you know the limitation of "what" you can pull if you don't aim higher then your standards.

It's just natural human behaviours. Everybody wants what they can't have...till emotions/feelings come into play then nobody else matters...for awhile.
Even if you take it as true that it is a more difficult situation for men (and it is, at least in terms of access to some kind of sexual intimacy, for biological reasons), there's still only a certain number of humans in each 'attractiveness' category.

Even if you assume that women have relative choice (they do not, but in reality they do have greater choice than men of similar attractiveness in the initial dating exchange), and given a finite supply of men, it stands to reason that not all women are going to get the man of their dreams. Assuming attractiveness fits a rough bell curve for both sexes, when it comes to 'settling down' there'll probably be some kind of parity in most situations.

And of course, men have the advantage of being 'attractive' for longer, according to most accounts we're still good well into our 40s. And there are millions of exceptions. My girlfriend is more physically attractive than I am, judging objectively, but I realise that relationships are only a fraction down to physical appearance and more to do with being able to maintain sensible, interesting conversation, provide stability, affection, companionship, support and lots of other things. If you're hung up on appearance the issue may be closer to home than you think.
Reply 14
This sounds like some sort of app store.
Reply 15
Original post by russellsteapot

And of course, men have the advantage of being 'attractive' for longer, according to most accounts we're still good well into our 40s.

This is true. I have no vested interest.
Original post by Plainview
This sounds like some sort of app store.

Picking your sexual partner. There's an app for that.

That being said, I see a lot of hypocrisy nowadays, especially with girls who want to date "nice guys".
Tbh, I agree that some girls are picky, but mainly in the personality department rather than the looks. I feel that more women these days are looking for an intelligent partner instead of a hot one, I know I am.
Putting aside the explicit and implicit connotations of a term such as 'sexual marketplace', nobody, male or female, can expect to walk into a situation and have a potential sexual partner approach them off the cuff. You need to meet people, do the work and be able to take rejection. It doesn't matter what kind of person you are initially, whether you buy drinks for them, whether you have many or few interests, whether you're a budding amateur sportsman or a layabout. If you do the work, you'll get the rewards. Men and women like people who can hold a conversation and have a sense of humour above all. If you're George Clooney lookalike and a mute mouse, you'll go absolutely nowhere.

For the shy ones among us that are less inclined to approach people the old fashioned way, there's always Tinder; it only tells you when you get a match. But in my opinion it sucks the fun out of the chase. Loads of people are on Tinder. I'm not meeting that many new people nowadays. So there's a choice really: up your game, go on Tinder or be content as you are.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by euphrosyne
Tbh, I agree that some girls are picky, but mainly in the personality department rather than the looks. I feel that more women these days are looking for an intelligent partner instead of a hot one, I know I am.

I'mma have to disagree with that. Maybe that applies when everyone's working full time and has matured, but in my own experienced and apparently others women this age only really tend to date upwards, and usually only for a short term. So far I've only seen one relationship last this entire year, but he's cheated on her thrice so perhaps that's not for the best. Even the attractive guys are completely unable to keep a girl for longer than the minutes. :s-smilie:

My observation: relationships are few and far between.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending