The Student Room Group

Is there something wrong with me?

Basically i have been trying to find a job since september and I have had loads of interviews but I have been unsuccessful so far.Initially I though this was because I was not available during the christmass period but I am starting to think this is simply because of me. The reason I have come to this conclusion is because the other day after seeing an advertisement on my local malls website I went to two stores knowing they had a vacancy,only to get there and be told that they did. Although one of the staff at one of the stores accepted my cv but the other simply told me they had no vacancies. I found this a bit odd so I went on the website to confirm that they did have a vacancy,after thing I called the store and had what I think was a rather odd phone call.

Me I was in your store the other day and was told you had no vacancies even though it says on your website that you do.
Girl erm, it must have just come up.
Me:I came in just a few days ago(this was a trick question because I has seen the vacancy before I came in)
Girl:Bring your cv in if you are still interested.

I know it may seem like nothing but I actually feel like people just hate my face or something? why would you lie that you have no vacancies ?

Scroll to see replies

Well firstly, if you just asked a random shop girl, she may either not know or not care that there are vacancies. When I was at school, we went round town giving out CVs and one of the managers we spoke to (most were just normal staff) said it was good we'd seen him, because the staff usually just put the CVs in the bin. Lovely and helpful, of course!

Also, you're getting interviews. This is GREAT. Are you in sixth form or uni? If so, then you may find there's some kind of careers service that you could go to for a mock interview, this would hopefully get you some feedback about how you're performing and what you could do to improve.

If you get in touch with the people who conducted each of your interviews, you always have the option of asking why you were turned down, and what you could do better in the future. My partner had two unsuccessful interviews before he got his current job, and both were happy to provide this feedback. Chances are it might just be luck. If there are a few people applying for each position, and all perform well at interview, it might be literally just random bad luck that you didn't get it.
Reply 2
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Well firstly, if you just asked a random shop girl, she may either not know or not care that there are vacancies. When I was at school, we went round town giving out CVs and one of the managers we spoke to (most were just normal staff) said it was good we'd seen him, because the staff usually just put the CVs in the bin. Lovely and helpful, of course!

Also, you're getting interviews. This is GREAT. Are you in sixth form or uni? If so, then you may find there's some kind of careers service that you could go to for a mock interview, this would hopefully get you some feedback about how you're performing and what you could do to improve.

If you get in touch with the people who conducted each of your interviews, you always have the option of asking why you were turned down, and what you could do better in the future. My partner had two unsuccessful interviews before he got his current job, and both were happy to provide this feedback. Chances are it might just be luck. If there are a few people applying for each position, and all perform well at interview, it might be literally just random bad luck that you didn't get it.

No I honestly think its me. I just emailed my recent rejection asking for feed back on how I can improve next time and No response.
Original post by vanessap
No I honestly think its me. I just emailed my recent rejection asking for feed back on how I can improve next time and No response.

It's the weekend, give them time :smile:.
Reply 4
if your going for a low end jobs don't add qualifications i was rejected at 5 mcdonalds outlets before realising ( i went dressed like a thug to tesco they game me the job almost instantly :smile: )

Well if you're being rejected...who else is it gonna be?

You need more interview practise, more confidence and show enthusiasm in your interviews.
Reply 6
Original post by Padwas
if your going for a low end jobs don't add qualifications i was rejected at 5 mcdonalds outlets before realising ( i went dressed like a thug to tesco they game me the job almost instantly :smile: )

I am going for retail jobs. I really dont understand what the issue is
Reply 7
I am going for retail jobs. I really dont understand what the issue is

retail hmm try my advice it could work :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by FlavaFavourFruit
Well if you're being rejected...who else is it gonna be?

You need more interview practise, more confidence and show enthusiasm in your interviews.

In other words I should carry on getting rejected .
Reply 9
Original post by Padwas
retail hmm try my advice it could work :smile:

She should avoid listening to you :erm:
Reply 10
Original post by ForgetMe
She should avoid listening to you :erm:

i have already forgotten you :smile: bye
Retails **** anyway.
Although it does seem people whom pissed about in school have more chance of getting a job in somewhere like tesco than someone who has really high grades... :/
Reply 12
Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
Retails **** anyway.
Although it does seem people whom pissed about in school have more chance of getting a job in somewhere like tesco than someone who has really high grades... :/

Retail still better than nothing :tongue:
In other words I should carry on getting rejected .

What are you talking about? Your attitude sounds negative, no wonder...
Original post by ForgetMe
Retail still better than nothing :tongue:

True..
Reply 15
What are you talking about? Your attitude sounds negative, no wonder...

you said I need more interview practice how am I meant to get that?
and please dont come here chatting ****.
you said I need more interview practice how am I meant to get that?
and please dont come here chatting ****.

I'm not chatting ****, you obviously lack the initiative to do something for yourself.

You know you need more interview practise, but what are you doing to get it? I think That's why you're not getting job offers, you're probably making the same mistakes.

Ask family/friends/teachers to help you.

Sort out your attitude.
(edited 10 years ago)
It's a numbers game. Complete luck of the draw. You either get picked or don't. Eventually an opportunity should present itself, but the more CVs & application forms you hand in, the better chance you're giving yourself.
Reply 18
I'm not chatting ****, you obviously lack the initiative to do something for yourself.

You know you need more interview practise, but what are you doing to get it? Nothing. That's why you're not getting job offers, you're probably making the same mistakes.

Ask family/friends/teachers to help you.

Sort out your attitude. It stinks.

you are so ****ing rude. please just kindly **** off .
I have been getting all the practice I can. I came here so people could answer my question not call me names.
you are so ****ing rude. please just kindly **** off .
I have been getting all the practice I can. I came here so people could answer my question not call me names.

Being honest , not rude. It's called constructive advice. If you've been getting all the practise you can, why did you ask "how am I meant to get that" :rolleyes:

What names have I called you? :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending