The Student Room Group

Starting the gym - slightly underweight but still 'flabby'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lauramercier
Thanks so much! :smile: What do you think about cardio? That's the bit I'm the most unsure on! :colondollar:

For the time being your focus should be on lifting and eating. However, doing some cardio is important, just don't go nuts with it!

20-40 mins 2-3 days/week of some low intensity stuff- think walking at an easy pace on an incline on a treadmill or some easy stationary bike work.

Basically anything that gets your heart rate up a little but doesn't get you tired or out of breath.
Reply 21
Thank you!

Do you think doing cardio will hinder my muscle progress sinuce I'll be burning off the calories and energy rather than using them do gain muscle?

It shouldn't be a problem, In find the best thing for me was to do intervals on the treadmill. Worked a treat.
Original post by redferry
It shouldn't be a problem, In find the best thing for me was to do intervals on the treadmill. Worked a treat.

Thank you! Yeah I think intervals seem like the best thing, and it's less mundane! I'll just work my way round the cardio stuff and see which I find the most fun!
Original post by Old School
For the time being your focus should be on lifting and eating. However, doing some cardio is important, just don't go nuts with it!

20-40 mins 2-3 days/week of some low intensity stuff- think walking at an easy pace on an incline on a treadmill or some easy stationary bike work.

Basically anything that gets your heart rate up a little but doesn't get you tired or out of breath.

Anything that doesn't get me out of breath seems definitely good to me, thank you!
Reply 24
You'll probably see a result at first, but each week do a few more of each workout otherwise you will just reach a point where you no longer improve and it'll just feel easy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
How's your workout going OP

Any progress?
Original post by zKlown
How's your workout going OP

Any progress?

Hey! I've been at weight training for about 2.5-3 weeks now, using the barbell, free weights, cable machine, lat pull down machine etc and trying to eat as clean as possible with lots of protein. I've also discovered protein shakes, mmm!
I think so far I've noticed a slight bit of change, but not much, but I have only been at it properly for less than a month. I'm enjoying having something other than University to concentrate on though so I'm feeling super motivated!
Reply 27
Exactly! 'Oh no! If you lift more than a bag of sugar, you will look like Hulk Hogan!' :facepalm:

lol, even for a guy it takes a lot more than just "lifting heavy" to get "big" or "bulky"

I did a strength routine for almost a year and while I got a ton stronger, I didn't get huge or even that much bigger, but that was more due to a lacking diet and a program that wasn't ideal for muscle building, ok I still gained some but I got a good bit of fat too :tongue:

Now, ive researched a lot more and am having to shed the excess fat before trying to build muscle, so yeah don't go trusting other gym goes 100%
Original post by LukeM90
lol, even for a guy it takes a lot more than just "lifting heavy" to get "big" or "bulky"

I did a strength routine for almost a year and while I got a ton stronger, I didn't get huge or even that much bigger, but that was more due to a lacking diet and a program that wasn't ideal for muscle building, ok I still gained some but I got a good bit of fat too :tongue:

Now, ive researched a lot more and am having to shed the excess fat before trying to build muscle, so yeah don't go trusting other gym goes 100%

Can comfirm. 1 year 4 months in the gym and hitting some decent numbers (200kg deadlift, 102.5kg bench, 60kg*5 strict overhead, +30kg for 5 dead hang chinups) and I look "athletic" more than muscular or anything.
Hey! I've been at weight training for about 2.5-3 weeks now, using the barbell, free weights, cable machine, lat pull down machine etc and trying to eat as clean as possible with lots of protein. I've also discovered protein shakes, mmm!
I think so far I've noticed a slight bit of change, but not much, but I have only been at it properly for less than a month. I'm enjoying having something other than University to concentrate on though so I'm feeling super motivated!

Good stuff. One thing I did notice from your OP, but not sure if someone has mentioned is that 3x10 deadlifts is a lot of work. Considering that it will (should) be your heaviest lift and as a result is quite taxing, doing 30 in a workout could be more than is sensible. Obviously depends how heavy you go.
Original post by illusionz
Good stuff. One thing I did notice from your OP, but not sure if someone has mentioned is that 3x10 deadlifts is a lot of work. Considering that it will (should) be your heaviest lift and as a result is quite taxing, doing 30 in a workout could be more than is sensible. Obviously depends how heavy you go.

I struggle to bench press 7.5kg :colondollar: trust me, heavy is not my forte (yet)
Reply 31
The people at my gym tell you not to lift that heavy if you're a woman so you don't get 'bulky' what a load of rubbish. They literally say to you, 'don't use over 4kg...'

It's such a rare and beautiful moment when a girl realises this especially when she's a beginner just starting out :biggrin:

Good luck!

and make a blog on tsr tracking your progress for all your workouts, it'll give you more motivation to progress and will force you to do that workout even when you're feeling **** because you know the regulars on the fitness section would be disappointed with you otherwise :tongue: and it's nice to flick back to the first blog page and admire how far you've come

T.S
Reply 32
Best of googling for beginner routines, and then as time goes on you'll just change bits.

Good exercises are:
Squats
Deadlifts
Press ups
Lunges
Some kind of overhead press

And HIIT, this will help loose the chub, and improve cardio.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tony Stark
It's such a rare and beautiful moment when a girl realises this especially when she's a beginner just starting out :biggrin:

Good luck!

and make a blog on tsr tracking your progress for all your workouts, it'll give you more motivation to progress and will force you to do that workout even when you're feeling **** because you know the regulars on the fitness section would be disappointed with you otherwise :tongue: and it's nice to flick back to the first blog page and admire how far you've come

T.S

Thank you :biggrin:
I've started an Instagram page although admittedly it's more full of clean food at the moment than the gym. Don't think I'm quite ready for the whole 50kg squats photo just yet! But it's definitely keeping me motivated to eat well, a six pack is made in the kitchen and also go to the gym, especially following so many people who manage it every day!
Thank you :biggrin:
I've started an Instagram page although admittedly it's more full of clean food at the moment than the gym. Don't think I'm quite ready for the whole 50kg squats photo just yet! But it's definitely keeping me motivated to eat well, a six pack is made in the kitchen and also go to the gym, especially following so many people who manage it every day!

No it is not. The muscle is built through heavy exercise then the fat is lost through diet to make the six pack visible. Plenty of guys/girls with really low body fat do not have six-packs!
Reply 35
Original post by In One Ear
No it is not. The muscle is built through heavy exercise then the fat is lost through diet to make the six pack visible. Plenty of guys/girls with really low body fat do not have six-packs!

"6 packs" are also a lot to do with genetics, I'd agree with the rest though, I've got abs somewhere hiding under that keg.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rugby234
"6 packs" are also a lot to do with genetics, I'd agree with the rest though, I've got abs somewhere hiding under that keg.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes of course, I probably should have just said "abs".
Original post by In One Ear

Well my definition of a six pack doesn't count if you can't see it :colondollar: hence why for me they're partly built in the kitchen
Reply 38

I'm pleased to hear this

Exercise is a great outlet for relieving stress and to focus on something different.

I like to use it as a way of stopping myself from sitting around all day
Original post by zKlown
I'm pleased to hear this

Exercise is a great outlet for relieving stress and to focus on something different.

I like to use it as a way of stopping myself from sitting around all day

Yeah I definitely agree! I feel like I'm working towards something which is obviously a good feeling, makes it all seem worthwhile

Quick Reply

Latest