The Student Room Group

Controlling boyfriend/ex ruining friendship

Hi guys, I have a bit of a predicament, but let's start with a bit of a backstory, everyone loves those, right?

So, I'm 18 and currently doing my Gold Duke of Edinburgh, and over February half term, I did my 7 day long residential section at a disabled respite care centre in Essex. While I was there, I was volunteering with three others, two lads at 16 and 17, and a girl who is also 18. None of us had ever met before, but we're all at sixth forms in different parts of the country and all doing Duke of Edinburgh.
Me and the girl got on together really well, we are so similar in terms of likes/dislikes (food, music, films, life....Etc), have similar birthdays, obviously both 18 and so on... When we could during the day, we spent our time together and the two lads were together while we were assisting the disabled guests. Then in the evenings we were all in one bunk room having a laugh and a bit to drink (in moderation - me and her got pretty drunk one night, but other than that, everyone was pretty sober). Generally, the 17 year old left around 12 to go to bed, followed by the 17 year old at around 12:30 to 1:00. Me and her would stay up much later, till 3:00 or even later (with 7am starts, you end up pretty shattered by the end of the week!!). We just stayed up together talking and I suppose getting to know each other?
The issue came with her boyfriend of 2 or so months - everything she told me about him seems like he was just there for the fun times, never putting any effort into the relationship etc, they argued about it a few times, and the 'broke up' with him via text one night to show that she really was annoyed by it, having the intention of getting back together a day or two later - which they did.
Fast forward to the Saturday we left, we had agreed that she would be able to give me a lift to Birmingham (she drove) so I could get the train home from there which was going to be significantly less expensive for me than my ticket from London, obviously I really appreciated this. She said that she wanted to leave early in the morning (9ish) so that she could she the boyfriend, but apparently her 'mum' had told her not to give me a lift in case I distracted her which seemed fair enough and I worked things out and got the long train ride back. I later found out from the 17 year old that it was in fact her boyfriend that "went crazy" when she told him, very believable after how she had pictured him to me. I never let on to her that I knew it was him, because what difference would it make?
The following week while we were back at school, I texted her a few times a day because she had been quite ill when she got home and we carried on just keeping in touch more than anything... Then one day when she went to Leeds uni, she text in the morning, but never replied later on, or for the next week of so. She text me asking to remove a photo from Facebook of her pulling a face one night in Essex, I asked if it was her boyfriend that didn't like it because I was a bit annoyed about the ordeal and suspected him. She replied with "no, we broke up and he thinks I cheated on him last week and went mental the other week. I'm not even supposed to be talking to you" again, all as I thought. Though to start with, I figured they'd be back together soon enough again - recently all of their photos together have gone from her Facebook page and it now says she's single, so I'm assuming it's more serious this time....

I've not yet spoke to her (well she didn't reply to my last text) since she asked me to take the photo down which is a couple of weeks ago now. I really don't want to stop talking to this girl, we had plans to meet up and have a little reunion sometime, probably over Easter, but that all seems to be in jeopardy. I have no idea what I should do/say to her now, because I don't know if she blames me for him breaking up with her, even though nothing happened between us. So I turned to the student community for help - any advice appreciated! Sorry it's so long, I got a bit carried away! :/
Reply 1
How do you feel about her?

She can't seem to make her mind up with the bf can she. One minute on one off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Wow, read all of it and tbh, I think you might want the pink but just don't know it yet.
Reply 3
Wish you would have wrote it simple and more succinct
Reply 4
Original post by SMEGGGY
How do you feel about her?

We really did leave as just friends and that's all I want at the moment, but given how similar we are, I wouldn't rule out anything in the future an I could probably see it working between us? Biggest problem would be we currently live a 2 hour drive apart, and that's before we even go to uni or whatever!
Reply 5
Bump please :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending