The Student Room Group

When the time comes, how do I increase chances of getting into my desired university?

I'm coming to the end of my AS year and am quite worried about my AS results. I am predicted A's in maths, f.maths, chem, biol and physics but I feel the tests thus far have not been great. Naturally I wish to get into a good university, but if I get mediocre AS grades, my predictions will be mediocre also... I wish to study maths at university. What should I do to improve my chances?
I am in the exact same position as you (though I do not know why on earth I decided to choose biology). I am also worried that my overall ums average won't be enough for the likes of Cambridge and Imperial.

I suppose you could take the summer holiday to really improve your mathematical ability ( I.e. problem solving ability and a thorough understanding of topics you have been taught, or maybe topics you have not yet covered) as this will undoubtedly improve your chances at interview, possible enough so to warrant an offer, but that entirely depends on your determination and also your current ability I suppose.

But other than that I'm as worried as you are on this matter. What sort of universities are you hoping to apply to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
University study involves being self motivated and managing your own time. Any uni will be impressed by an applicant who has made genuine efforts to find out more about their subject beyond the curriculum and the obvious extra curriculars.

Things like online learning (https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/upcoming or https://www.coursera.org/courses ) or attending lectures on your subject at your local uni (or watching lectures online via youtube or itunesU or documentaries - keep an eye on BBC4 and radio 4 programmes for stuff that is relevant to your subject and that sounds interesting).

Most applicants also claim in their PS to read journals/magazine articles on their subject or additional books....few genuinely discuss what they've read well or use it to show a real interest in the topic. It's a half hour job a week to skim through the articles in the new scientist, nature and science for anything relevant...and if you skim it and find it doesn't really interest you massively then there's no problem it just gives you a clearer idea of which topics might be worth avoiding once you get to uni (or start looking through the sorts of modules/topics available to you at each uni).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending