The Student Room Group

Is my Gym Goal Realistic?

Hi there,

Background: I have never been to a GYM before & have never done weights. I have played Wrestling/Kick-boxing/Boxing as a hobby during my Secondary school & stopped for 1 year since I joined 6th form. I'm in my 2nd year & I want to increase my self-esteem & want to represent the possibility that anything is achievable as long as your consistent.

Currently: Going gym 4x a week for 2.5 weeks & going to cut down to 2-3x a week from September onwards due to College.

My Goals: 1 Year Goal

1) Build upper body strength -> [Sep-Dec]

2) Build Core Strength/working on Legs & ultimately striving towards a 6 pack ->
[Jan-July]

3) Focus on everything i.e Upper body/core/legs/cardio -> [August]

4) Focus on Martial arts (Wing Chun) & Bruce lee workouts. [Sep+ onwards while I'm at University]

INFO:
I've been told by my fitness instructor not to do BENCH, SQUATS, DEADLIFTS until I have strong enough muscles to allow me to be comfortable with the weights.

Workout:
1] Rowing Machine -> 2,000m @10 mins w/2mins rest.
2] Treadmill -> 3-3.5km @25 Mins w/3mins cool down. (I jog on 10.5 for 13 mins w/7.0 resting intervals for 4 mins & then jogging at 10.5 again)
3] Triceps Pull-down w/Rope -> 3 sets of 7.5kg for 12 reps, 3 Sets of 10kg for 12 reps, 1 set of 12.5kg for 12 reps, 7.5kg until I burn out. @60 seconds rest intervals between sets.
4] Chest Press -> 3 sets 10kg 12 reps, 3 sets of 15kg 12 reps, 1 set of 20kg 12 reps, 10kg until I burn out.
5] Seated High Row -> same weights as Chest Press.
6] Lats Pull Downs -> Same as chest press.
7] Pec Flye -> 3 sets of 10kg 12 reps, 3 sets of 15kg 12 reps @60 second rest interval
8] Bicep curls -> 3 sets of 6kg 12 reps, 2 sets of 8kg 12 reps, 1 set of 6kg 20 reps.
9] Treadmill -> speed 12.0 @ 5mins (preference as a cool down)

NOTE: I am going to include: Dumbbell flys, inclined Dumbbell biceps curl, Flat dumb bell press, Skull crushers dumb bell from October onwards once I have stronger upper body strength

DIET:
Breakfast: 2 slice toast w/fruit + glass of milk.
Lunch: Pasta/Fish/Noodles/Brown Rice w/Protein shake @Cyclone
Snacks: Fruit + Salad/Tuna Sandwich.
Dinner: Pasta/Fish/Noodles/Brown Rice w/Protein shake @Cyclone

^ I have 2 protein shakes when working out & 1 when I'm recovering.
Q) Is my diet correct I want to put on muscle mass & defined tone? I don't necessarily want to bulk up as it will ruin my self-esteem..

Q) Can I focus primarily on my Upper body strength now until December & then work on my core/Legs Jan-July with the occasional day during 'core/legs' allocated months for maintaining my upper body strength gains or is it better to split everyday because personally I prefer just focusing on one thing at the time since I'm more focused on what I set out to achieve?

^ Q) How long will it take to notice considerable changes?
I've noticed a more toned muscle definition for going GYM 2.5 weeks but can I have noticeable change by the end of December at 3x a week GYM?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by XxKingSniprxX

INFO:
I've been told by my fitness instructor not to do BENCH, SQUATS, DEADLIFTS until I have strong enough muscles to allow me to be comfortable with the weights.

Bench, squats, deadlifts and the overhead press are compound lifts. If you can't do them with any weight on thats completely fine, start with the bar first. In this case, your fitness instructor is completely wrong. Focusing on building upper body strength and mass for a few months and then vice versa is insane and is literally done by nobody, ever. You would be much better off going on a proper, recognised routine (Starting Strength, IceCream Fitness 5x5, StrongLifts, etc)
(edited 9 years ago)
First off,

1: Squat and Deadlift. These will build overall strength, especially around you core and obviously your legs. Hell, start with a 10kg barbell and build up as you feel more comfortable, but you're effectively putting a cap on your gains by not doing these important compound moves.

2: Personally, I like a split routine, I like to feel the soreness in a certain body part the next day so I generally hammer that body part and let it recover for a week.

I'd say stick to a protein shake 1hr before your workout and get one down you straight after. Remember these are only supplements and you should be aiming to get as much of your protein requirements from solid food.
Casein is good before bed, I'd say best protein investment I've made besides whey.

Workout wise, 12 reps your looking at bulking, that's what I've found anyways and one of my personal trainers has pointed out also. If your aiming for tone and strength, you wont need as much carbs as for bulking, and look to the 6-8 rep ranges with an 8 rep max weight (meaning you should be able to squeeze out 8 reps but you're struggling on the last 1 or 2 reps).

Also I might suggest laying off the treadmill a bit for now? Focus on the weights and maybe chuck in the resistance bike if you feel you need to?

Get big over winter, build up the muscle and a subtle layer of fat and start burning it off, toning up etc feb onwards?

Have you got a goal weight? How tall are you?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Would've been helpful to know your height and weight to know where you currently stand physically. But if you are saying that someone told you that you aren't ready for the barbell I'm guessing you must be quite small, I think you need to try and eat more calories to put on the weight and build some muscle

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Do compound movements and make them the primary focus of your workouts; bench press, squats, deadlift, over head press, pull ups, chin ups.

And do low reps, high weight. 5 sets of 5 reps for instance

The most important thing is to eat enough, as I remind my self when I'm lifting the same weight for like the third week running lol.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Be Remarkable
First off,

1: Squat and Deadlift. These will build overall strength, especially around you core and obviously your legs. Hell, start with a 10kg barbell and build up as you feel more comfortable, but you're effectively putting a cap on your gains by not doing these important compound moves.

2: Personally, I like a split routine, I like to feel the soreness in a certain body part the next day so I generally hammer that body part and let it recover for a week.

I'd say stick to a protein shake 1hr before your workout and get one down you straight after. Remember these are only supplements and you should be aiming to get as much of your protein requirements from solid food.
Casein is good before bed, I'd say best protein investment I've made besides whey.

Workout wise, 12 reps your looking at bulking, that's what I've found anyways and one of my personal trainers has pointed out also. If your aiming for tone and strength, you wont need as much carbs as for bulking, and look to the 6-8 rep ranges with an 8 rep max weight (meaning you should be able to squeeze out 8 reps but you're struggling on the last 1 or 2 reps).

Also I might suggest laying off the treadmill a bit for now? Focus on the weights and maybe chuck in the resistance bike if you feel you need to?

Get big over winter, build up the muscle and a subtle layer of fat and start burning it off, toning up etc feb onwards?

Sorry dude, I have to correct this.

Bulking has nothing to do with rep range. Bulking just means eating over your calorific maintenance.

Also if strength are his goals then he should be working in the 3-5 rep range rather than the 8 rep range.

And there's no such thing as toning :smile:
Original post by Be Remarkable
First off,

I wouldn't mind squatting/dead lifting but once I have stronger muscles at the moment ideally want to start those compound exercises around early October so my muscle strength can increase as I have never ever done weight training before.

My issue is if I were to take Protein shake I know its guaranteed to put on weight but I don't want to necessarily 'bulk' up however I want to gain muscles & look lean gradually.
The issue around bulking is to do with my self-esteem If I 'bulk' I gain 'body fat %' which worries me a lot since I'm self conscious at this stage already.

What food recommendations would you recommend for gaining muscle mass but not necessarily 'bulking' per say. Would Pasta/Fish/Noodles/Brown rice be good? I'm really aware of food intakes as every calorie I intake I know I have to work 'x' amount of time on treadmill/rowing machine etc to burn off. [Is the idea 'high carbs/low calories' an good recommendation for Lean muscle mass growing without 'bulking'?]

I normally do 8-12 reps which I aim for. Why would you not recommend treadmill because 'Cardiovascular training' I.E treadmill isn't going to ruin my 'muscle gains' unless if I'm going for really really long runs & digging deep into my muscle fibres etc. I'm only
running 3-3.5km -> 20-25mins at high interval training so I can lose the calories intake I have had from meals & maintain my cardio fitness, speed & muscular endurance.

I personally prefer the rowing machine over the exercise bike but that's my personal preference. I'm 56.5 - 57kg and I'm 5ft 8Inch, my goal weight would be 65-70Kg Tops
and that's through 'progressive overload' training *.* I want to gain '2 stone' of muscle mass & I'm willing to do whatever it takes as long as it doesn't affect my college studies.
Original post by ElChapo
Would've been helpful to know your height and weight to know where you currently stand physically. But if you are saying that someone told you that you aren't ready for the barbell I'm guessing you must be quite small, I think you need to try and eat more calories to put on the weight and build some muscle

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry I forgot to include: I'm 5ft 8In & I weigh 56-57kg & my Ideal weight would be 70kg but that being +13kg of pure muscle gain.

GOAL: 5FT 9-10 with 70KG
Original post by 'Ello Dave!
Sorry dude, I have to correct this.

Bulking has nothing to do with rep range. Bulking just means eating over your calorific maintenance.

Also if strength are his goals then he should be working in the 3-5 rep range rather than the 8 rep range.

And there's no such thing as toning :smile:

Yeah, I read his 'suggestion' and I already knew about 'bulking' in terms of diet which is to increase your calories intake etc.

What I assumed 'Toning' was decreasing the weight but increasing the reps?
whereas 'strength' training is fewer reps but more weights?
Yeah, I read his 'suggestion' and I already knew about 'bulking' in terms of diet which is to increase your calories intake etc.

What I assumed 'Toning' was decreasing the weight but increasing the reps?
whereas 'strength' training is fewer reps but more weights?

Yeah, a lot of people define toning as low weight, higher reps, but really what people mean is just losing fat on top of the muscles to make them appear fuller. You do this using diet. There's really no need to change the rep range/ weight.

Strength training is just workouts and movements focused on lifting as much weight as possible. Strength is more a function of the nervous system than purely muscles and so you want to adapt your nervous system to be able to lift heavier and heavier loads. A proven method for this is to lift within the lower rep range, e.g 3-5.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah, a lot of people define toning as low weight, higher reps, but really what people mean is just losing fat on top of the muscles to make them appear fuller. You do this using diet. There's really no need to change the rep range/ weight.

Strength training is just workouts and movements focused on lifting as much weight as possible. Strength is more a function of the nervous system than purely muscles and so you want to adapt your nervous system to be able to lift heavier and heavier loads. A proven method for this is to lift within the lower rep range, e.g 3-5.

Question) How much muscle gain is 'noticeable'? I know genetics & loads of variables come in to consideration when a person aims for muscle gain as a norm would be 2 lb/month = 24 lb 'pure muscle gain' in 1 year.

So assuming I was to gain '6 lb' of pure muscle in 3 months would it be clearly noticeable? I want to work for a year ideally 20 lbs minimum as a year goal; However I know loads of factors like injuries, muscle recoveries, genetics, diets etc come into play.
Reply 11
Hi there,

Background: I have never been to a GYM before & have never done weights. I have played Wrestling/Kick-boxing/Boxing as a hobby during my Secondary school & stopped for 1 year since I joined 6th form. I'm in my 2nd year & I want to increase my self-esteem & want to represent the possibility that anything is achievable as long as your consistent.

Currently: Going gym 4x a week for 2.5 weeks & going to cut down to 2-3x a week from September onwards due to College.

My Goals: 1 Year Goal

1) Build upper body strength -> [Sep-Dec]

2) Build Core Strength/working on Legs & ultimately striving towards a 6 pack ->
[Jan-July]

3) Focus on everything i.e Upper body/core/legs/cardio -> [August]

4) Focus on Martial arts (Wing Chun) & Bruce lee workouts. [Sep+ onwards while I'm at University]

INFO:

Workout:
1] Rowing Machine -> 2,000m @10 mins w/2mins rest.
2] Treadmill -> 3-3.5km @25 Mins w/3mins cool down. (I jog on 10.5 for 13 mins w/7.0 resting intervals for 4 mins & then jogging at 10.5 again)
3] Triceps Pull-down w/Rope -> 3 sets of 7.5kg for 12 reps, 3 Sets of 10kg for 12 reps, 1 set of 12.5kg for 12 reps, 7.5kg until I burn out. @60 seconds rest intervals between sets.
4] Chest Press -> 3 sets 10kg 12 reps, 3 sets of 15kg 12 reps, 1 set of 20kg 12 reps, 10kg until I burn out.
5] Seated High Row -> same weights as Chest Press.
6] Lats Pull Downs -> Same as chest press.
7] Pec Flye -> 3 sets of 10kg 12 reps, 3 sets of 15kg 12 reps @60 second rest interval
8] Bicep curls -> 3 sets of 6kg 12 reps, 2 sets of 8kg 12 reps, 1 set of 6kg 20 reps.
9] Treadmill -> speed 12.0 @ 5mins (preference as a cool down)

NOTE: I am going to include: Dumbbell flys, inclined Dumbbell biceps curl, Flat dumb bell press, Skull crushers dumb bell from October onwards once I have stronger upper body strength

DIET:
Breakfast: 2 slice toast w/fruit + glass of milk.
Lunch: Pasta/Fish/Noodles/Brown Rice w/Protein shake @Cyclone
Snacks: Fruit + Salad/Tuna Sandwich.
Dinner: Pasta/Fish/Noodles/Brown Rice w/Protein shake @Cyclone

^ I have 2 protein shakes when working out & 1 when I'm recovering.
Q) Is my diet correct I want to put on muscle mass & defined tone? I don't necessarily want to bulk up as it will ruin my self-esteem..

Q) Can I focus primarily on my Upper body strength now until December & then work on my core/Legs Jan-July with the occasional day during 'core/legs' allocated months for maintaining my upper body strength gains or is it better to split everyday because personally I prefer just focusing on one thing at the time since I'm more focused on what I set out to achieve?

^ Q) How long will it take to notice considerable changes?
I've noticed a more toned muscle definition for going GYM 2.5 weeks but can I have noticeable change by the end of December at 3x a week GYM?

The awesome thing about weights (including squats, deadlift and bench press) is that you don't need strong muscles to lift them! In fact my 8 year old brother bench pressed 10kg today for funsies!

The idea is that you start from a weight that you can do (even if its a small 5kg bar) and aim to increase the weight every workout (progressive overload).

I started squats at 40kg for 5 sets of 5 reps and can now do over 100kg for 5 sets of 5 reps about 14 weeks later. If I had have went into the gym for the first time and plonked 100kg on my back, I'm pretty sure I would have snapped. The thing is you don't do that, no matter what the lift is, even if you have to start from lifting a FEATHER, you should still 1 billion percent do bench press, dead lifts and squats.
Question) How much muscle gain is 'noticeable'? I know genetics & loads of variables come in to consideration when a person aims for muscle gain as a norm would be 2 lb/month = 24 lb 'pure muscle gain' in 1 year.

So assuming I was to gain '6 lb' of pure muscle in 3 months would it be clearly noticeable? I want to work for a year ideally 20 lbs minimum as a year goal; However I know loads of factors like injuries, muscle recoveries, genetics, diets etc come into play.

You need to understand that the 2lb/month is with a very good diet and rest, which as new lifter, is hard to nail down right away.

I feel you're looking for a quick fix. Building a decent physique takes a good number of years. Just lift heavy, eat big and you will grow. Then when you feel you are getting too fat, diet down to reveal what you've built :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Read the FAQ, as you clearly don't know what you're doing. Nobody knows what they're doing when they first start, be one of the sensible people that actually read and learn, rather than spending months/years pretty much wasting your time.

Ignore your 'fitness instructor', he's an idiot.

Get on a proper strength program and follow it. There are several good ones out there to chose from, ICF and 5/3/1 BBB are good, read up on them and then you can make a decision.

You get stronger at squatting, benching and deadlifting by squatting, benching and deadlifting. You'll be able to comfortably lift the empty bar at the very least. There are several 'how to' videos on youtube to help you learn how to do the lifts. Nobody had perfect form to start with, it gets better with time, most important thing is that you actually do the lifts and try to constantly improve. The more you do them the more self aware you'll become and the easier it will be to fix form issues.

Don't do your strength training and cardio in the same session, if you "have to", do your strength training first and some cardio after, cardio first will simply waste energy and limit lifting performance.

You need to eat in a calorie surplus to gain muscle, as a result you'll gain a little fat too, if you can't accept that then you're never going to make real gains as you won't eat enough.

Naming foods is useless, what are the portions? How many calories? How much protein? etc etc etc.

Buy cheaper whey protein. MaxiMuscle is RIDICULOUSLY overpriced. They saw you coming a mile away.

Can you focus on upper body only until December? No. Follow a proper program!

How long will it take to notice considerable changes? With the plan you listed, you probably never will notice considerable changes. Follow an actual program, do it properly, progress and eat right and there will be noticeable change, although how long is a piece of string?
As above. Read the FAQ sticky.

How can you get stronger muscles to enable you to bench/squat/dl if you never bench/squat/dl. Your instructor sounds absolutely clueless.

So much misinformation and stupidity in the fitness community, it makes me weep.
1. Don't take advice from anyone who uses the word 'tone'
2. Your fitness instructor seems like an idiot lol, no surprised there

Posted from TSR Mobile
You need to understand that the 2lb/month is with a very good diet and rest, which as new lifter, is hard to nail down right away.

I feel you're looking for a quick fix. Building a decent physique takes a good number of years. Just lift heavy, eat big and you will grow. Then when you feel you are getting too fat, diet down to reveal what you've built :smile:

I've perfected my diet I'm eating clean and I've been at GYM consistently 4x a week for 3 weeks now & have seen some progress although it's little compared to the end goal it still is progress from where I first started off.

I'm not looking for a 'quick fix' I know nothing in life worth doing comes easy & it takes time, dedication & perseverance to get where you want in life no matter how hard it is. Thanks for your input I'll head from your advise.
I've perfected my diet I'm eating clean and I've been at GYM consistently 4x a week for 3 weeks now & have seen some progress although it's little compared to the end goal it still is progress from where I first started off.

I'm not looking for a 'quick fix' I know nothing in life worth doing comes easy & it takes time, dedication & perseverance to get where you want in life no matter how hard it is. Thanks for your input I'll head from your advise.

Ok then. :rolleyes:
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
Ok then. :rolleyes:

I have to agree with Scoobie's skepticism here.

Post your maintenance calories, bulking calories, daily macros and tell me what you ate yesterday.

Quick Reply

Latest