The Student Room Group

Why can't I talk to a guy these days without turning it into something sexual?

I ask this because recently a guy started chatting to me on fb- we'll be doing the same uni course this october- and I'm all up for making friends before I arrive. It was fine at first, talking about aimless things, but then all of a sudden he started alluding to sexual stuff and basically asking me to do things to him.
wtf. I havent even met the guy yet. Maybe if he kept the conversation normal, a few months down the line something would happen. but becsuse of this when I barely even know him, I'll never agree to anything because he just seems desperate!
A similar thing has happened with two other guys this year. the conversation is fine, then all of a sudden they start trying to initiate some kind of sext-conversation.
I'm fine with a bit of flirting if i dont know the person well, and sex is fine with someone I've got to know after a bit of time, but a few days over facebook?! i dont get it!
I havent been misleading or suggestive in any way. can someone explain to me why guys think this is appropriate? because when I start uni, my first impression of this guy will be "the guy who asked for sex after 2 days on facebook". And I'm sure that no decent person would be happy with that kind of first impression.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
he got horny and let his dick do the talking writing
They're just horny and desperate and lack any strategic planning capabilities.
Reply 3
Original post by Joshale
he got horny and let his dick do the talking writing

Original post by ChickenMadness
They're just horny and desperate and lack any strategic planning capabilities.

But when I get horny, my hand and a specifically selected video suffice. I don't feel the need to suddenly start asking whoever I'm currently talking to for sex.
Original post by Anonymous
I ask this because recently a guy started chatting to me on fb- we'll be doing the same uni course this october- and I'm all up for making friends before I arrive. It was fine at first, talking about aimless things, but then all of a sudden he started alluding to sexual stuff and basically asking me to do things to him.
wtf. I havent even met the guy yet. Maybe if he kept the conversation normal, a few months down the line something would happen. but becsuse of this when I barely even know him, I'll never agree to anything because he just seems desperate!
A similar thing has happened with two other guys this year. the conversation is fine, then all of a sudden they start trying to initiate some kind of sext-conversation.
I'm fine with a bit of flirting if i dont know the person well, and sex is fine with someone I've got to know after a bit of time, but a few days over facebook?! i dont get it!
I havent been misleading or suggestive in any way. can someone explain to me why guys think this is appropriate? because when I start uni, my first impression of this guy will be "the guy who asked for sex after 2 days on facebook". And I'm sure that no decent person would be happy with that kind of first impression.

well its not as simple as being horny.

I think most lads understand they need to make a move at some point.and its often easier and more "Manly" to go down the sexual route rather than the "I care for yeh" route.

its hard to know what to do sometimes in order to make a move and show yeh want more.

I've had this problem with a woman before. We'd been friends for ages, and then she weirdly asked me for an innuendo.

So I gave her one.
Reply 6
Original post by trustmeimlying1

I think most lads understand they need to make a move at some point.and its often easier and more "Manly" to go down the sexual route rather than the "I care for yeh" route.

its hard to know what to do sometimes in order to make a move and show yeh want more.

Yeah and I understand that, and I generally quite like making innuendos etc but asking straight out for sexual favours after 2 days of brief chatting over Facebook, when I haven't even met him in my life, is a bit too upfront about it in my opinion
Maybe they are not used to communicating with females? Maybe they don't have enough experience to recognise body language and signals, or have a poor grasp of social norms or what is acceptable in conversation.

You might see a bot of this the first week or so of uni, everyone is overfriendly in the first week, some people are misled by this overfriendly nature of freshers thinking that a pretty is talking to them means she likes them ...of course even if that were the case to just ask like that is a bit socially akward to say the least.
Reply 8
Original post by AcronymOfHashtag
I've had this problem with a woman before. We'd been friends for ages, and then she weirdly asked me for an innuendo.

So I gave her one.

Excellent :rolleyes:
Never trust any random stranger online. Some people lost their lives through Facebook.
Original post by shawn_o1
Never trust any random stranger online. Some people lost their lives through Facebook.

I never do, but seeing as I'll be meeting this guy in a few weeks, I assumed he would be a normal human being :lol:
Original post by bubadeeboop
Maybe they are not used to communicating with females? Maybe they don't have enough experience to recognise body language and signals, or have a poor grasp of social norms or what is acceptable in conversation.

You might see a bot of this the first week or so of uni, everyone is overfriendly in the first week, some people are misled by this overfriendly nature of freshers thinking that a pretty is talking to them means she likes them ...of course even if that were the case to just ask like that is a bit socially akward to say the least.

I just want to make friends with everyone :frown: is that such a big thing to ask? I hope that not many other people will be like that hahah
I just want to make friends with everyone :frown: is that such a big thing to ask? I hope that not many other people will be like that hahah

Unfortunatley its almost impossible to be friends with everyone, not even just with this type of thing, some people just take dislikings to people too.

I knew a girl last year who was lovely, very friendly, but also very extroverted and she rubbed one of the flat mates up the wrong way, she didn't do anything out of line to him, he just didn't like her, I don't think he even knew why. They were fine the first week or two, but then he just started getting really snarky with her, but he was a great person to everyone else, he just didn't like her.

Who knows why, but my point is, try to keep perspective on how well you know people, just because you are in the same uni, on the same course or even on the same floor, known the person a week or a year, you may not actually know them, friendship isn't something that can be forced.
But when I get horny, my hand and a specifically selected video suffice. I don't feel the need to suddenly start asking whoever I'm currently talking to for sex.

Well, tbh. More fun with a girl. Even if it's with a webcam. Gonna be honest though I've pulled over the internet before for webcam antics. But I haven't tried anything on facebook before freshers because I just don't care atm and it's a bit cringe really. Just gonna do my own thing and let the girls come to me.

Are you attractive btw? If you're hot this is going to happen with the majority of guys who try to make friends with you.

Having said that though. I'm already pulling on the facebook freshers group anyway #nobrag :cool:
Original post by bubadeeboop
Unfortunatley its almost impossible to be friends with everyone, not even just with this type of thing, some people just take dislikings to people too.

I knew a girl last year who was lovely, very friendly, but also very extroverted and she rubbed one of the flat mates up the wrong way, she didn't do anything out of line to him, he just didn't like her, I don't think he even knew why. They were fine the first week or two, but then he just started getting really snarky with her, but he was a great person to everyone else, he just didn't like her.

Who knows why, but my point is, try to keep perspective on how well you know people, just because you are in the same uni, on the same course or even on the same floor, known the person a week or a year, you may not actually know them, friendship isn't something that can be forced.

I appreciate this advice and thank you for taking the time to write it but I think you misinterpreted what I meant :lol:
I didn't mean that I literally want to make as many friends as possible... I meant I want to be friendly with everyone I come across and not have anything sexual (at least until I get to know someone a bit better). So I was just reflecting upon the idea that many other people could be like the guy mentioned above when all I want from them when I talk to them is to be friendly and nothing more just yet!
Original post by trustmeimlying1

lol I really think it's easiest to just wait until a girl shows interest. You can spend the rest of your time worrying about more important things.
Well, tbh. More fun with a girl. Even if it's with a webcam. Gonna be honest though I've pulled over the internet before for webcam antics. But I haven't tried anything on facebook before freshers because I just don't care atm and it's a bit cringe really. Just gonna do my own thing and let the girls come to me.

Are you attractive btw? If you're hot this is going to happen with the majority of guys who try to make friends with you.

Having said that though. I'm already pulling on the facebook freshers group anyway #nobrag :cool:

Well obviously the way I view myself is different to what others think. But I'd say I'm fairly average as girls go lol.

Also, you forgot to cover up the page title on the tab. I know know what uni you go to :colone: beware
Well obviously the way I view myself is different to what others think. But I'd say I'm fairly average as girls go lol.

Also, you forgot to cover up the page title on the tab. I know know what uni you go to :colone: beware

lol damn. Whatever it's not a big deal anyway.
I appreciate this advice and thank you for taking the time to write it but I think you misinterpreted what I meant :lol:
I didn't mean that I literally want to make as many friends as possible... I meant I want to be friendly with everyone I come across and not have anything sexual (at least until I get to know someone a bit better). So I was just reflecting upon the idea that many other people could be like the guy mentioned above when all I want from them when I talk to them is to be friendly and nothing more just yet!

I understand I was just giving an additional example, all I meant was sometimes it doesn't matter how you act, people are weird creatures that can act seemingly randomly.

Another example is when you meet a truely horrid person that doesn't seem to be nice to anyone ...yet has a cohort of friends and loved ones, it's just one of those things, all you can really do is ignore it when it happens and continue to invest energy into friendships that seem to be growing and bearing fruit.

If the sort of thing you discribed does happen at uni, it will typically be in the first weeks of acquaintance, after that the friendship paradigm is established and you will know who is worth spending energy on with friendliness and who simply warrents politness.
lol I really think it's easiest to just wait until a girl shows interest. You can spend the rest of your time worrying about more important things.

hmmm maybe...but most girls are very against making moves..

sure they may hint if youre lucky..but youll have to be spending a fair amount of time around them for them to do this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending