The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I know both guys and girls who are like this, and I must admit I was like this about 5 years ago because some schlaaaag cheated on me.

It stems 100% from insecurity. Simple.
Original post by Anonymous
My boyfriend doesn't like drinking/alcohol, although this is a decent development as he spent a fair amount of his sixth form years at parties.

I went to a friend's surprise 18th birthday on the weekend, it was a small gathering of family and friends and the first party I've been to were I've had alcohol and got drunk. However, I wasn't that drunk, I could still walk in a straight line, talk and type coherently. I just drunk-danced and sang a bit.

As soon as I got home and messaged my boyfriend on facebook I could immediately tell he was annoyed. All I said was "Hey, I'm back. You okay?" And he immediately told me to go away. So I did. But that wasn't the end of it.

He's being annoyed with me for the past four days but only had the courage today to spit out that he didn't like me drinking alcohol and didn't want me to do it again.

I'm in year 13 atm but I know that when I go to uni next year I will want to go out with friends, not excessively, maybe once or twice a week. And not even drinking excessively.

I can understand his annoyance partly, since he may be worrying that I'll sleep with other guys, but I would never do anything like that and have never done anything to break his trust before. Apart from that I can see no objection to drinking in moderation as part of a social setting.

He knows I don't want to annoy him and so I won't go out drinking. I think this is incredibly controlling behaviour and completely unreasonable, and can potentially see this being a deal breaker when I go to uni. What should I do?

Drop him like an overly amorous ebola victim.
My advice is to leave him. It is in no way reasonable for him to tell you that you aren't allowed to drink, leave before he becomes more controlling. He clearly doesn't respect you.
I went out to a lot of concerts. I mean A LOT. But I didn't drink. I think it's less enjoyable and memorable if you were drunk. Drinking is not good for you, go get your A* while you can!
It's up to you. He's not wrong for not liking the effects of alcohol, which are statistically often bad in one way or another. I think it's a shame that you'd put alcohol above a relationship (when you go to uni). Maybe you're on different paths.
Original post by Starlight210619
It's up to you. He's not wrong for not liking the effects of alcohol, which are statistically often bad in one way or another. I think it's a shame that you'd put alcohol above a relationship (when you go to uni). Maybe you're on different paths.

Welcome to TSR. Don't forget to check post dates before you reply, (this thread is 9 years old).

Latest

Trending

Trending