The Student Room Group

Stalled in the middle of a roundabout during a driving lesson

The title says it all- I pulled out and completely stalled on a roundabout and I am very embarrassed to say at the least. My instructor (she is really nice) said that I just put it in the wrong gear and not to worry about it everybody does it, I don't know anybody else who has done it!

The worst thing is that it is the second time that I have done it and they have both just come out of nowhere, I could have done 100 perfect roundabouts then suddenly BAM and I have stalled.

Any advice/experiences would be appreciated :smile:
It really does happen to everyone, happened to me!

Just don't pull the clutch up so fast :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mhunt97
The title says it all- I pulled out and completely stalled on a roundabout and I am very embarrassed to say at the least. My instructor (she is really nice) said that I just put it in the wrong gear and not to worry about it everybody does it, I don't know anybody else who has done it!

The worst thing is that it is the second time that I have done it and they have both just come out of nowhere, I could have done 100 perfect roundabouts then suddenly BAM and I have stalled.

Everyone does it literally everyone!
I was going to say at least it won't happen again but...

In all seriousness it happens to the best of us. My step dad has driven since he could (and a bit before - country living benefits) and he stalled in the middle of a cross road. That was fun!

That was in his old car. His NEW car also cuts out when driving and the garage don't know why - hence why Mum and I won't touch it even if he let us :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by mhunt97
The title says it all- I pulled out and completely stalled on a roundabout and I am very embarrassed to say at the least. My instructor (she is really nice) said that I just put it in the wrong gear and not to worry about it everybody does it,

Take everything anybody's says they've done on their lessons with a massive pinch of salt.

Every one of your friends have done similar, all of them have stalled countless times in various dangerous situations.

Any mistake you make which makes you think, ”god im terrible" has been done millions of times, by millions of learners, and by every one of your friends.

Anybody that says they haven't made the mistakes you've made are lying through their teeth.

As for advice, there isnt really much you can give for such a situation, apart from a try not to do it_
I've done that before haha, honestly don't be embarrassed.

That's the whole point in learning, so you can make these mistakes and hopefully prevent them when you're driving solo. But it's not always avoidable, even confident drivers stall, your lessons are also there to teach you what to do when you do so you don't panic.

Don't be embarrassed, really. Your instructor will have seen this happen a million times over, and a million people after you will do it too! It's a learning curve, and the best skill to learn (I'd be lost without my car!). Pinch of salt, don't fret about it, onwards and upwards!

Happy driving :smile:
Just try to calm down when you approach the roundabout and slow down so you aren't trying to do everything at once.
I used to hate roundabouts but my instructor took me on so many and now I can do them fine :biggrin: she just said get onto the roundabout when theres a gap but then slow down a bit so I can properly concentrate on staying in my lane/changing lanes
Reply 7
Thankyou so much people, very helpful :smile:
Honestly don't worry too much about it, just release the clutch slower next time.

We've all done it !! I did it in the last 10 minutes of the pass plus course i was doing, pulled out at a motorway round about and stalled over the line O.o ....it was a good thing the roundabout was quiet !!
Reply 9
I m glad everyone here is so helpfull i am a learner but other drivers really make me panic when they overtake or beep horn I drive all fine on small roads but when i stop at signal and see traffic behind me i just cant go smooth ly i do stall and same on the roundabouts if no one is behind my i go fine but if there is cars behind mine i stall the car i leave the clutch just too quick cos i try to go faster so other drivers do not horn or make faces i feel really dishearted at the moment still trying my best though
Reply 10
Original post by mhunt97

I have actually taken my hands offf the wheel had an aggregates lorry shout abuse at me trust me if I can do it so can you a bus driver beeped his horn and shouted abuse at me my instructor says move on leave last weeks negatives behind you and start afresh just remember the positives . If you keep stalling get your instructor to take you back a step and practise going around smaller quieter roundabouts first it does help I also used to hold my breath on roundabouts

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending