The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Don't forget that looks are subjective. However important they are, what is "good looking" to one person may not be to another. :wink:
Reply 41
d_rea_m
random question, but my friend recently got dumped because (and her boyfriend told her this was the reason' she didn't match his 'look') her boyfriend found someone who was, in his eyes, prettier; and as you can imagine this lead to my friend being very "emotionally traumatised" (-her words not mine)

now i would have thought people wouldn't have taken looks that seriously, but apparently people do...

so to the guys (or girls for that matter) out there, are looks important when it comes to dating?

It is important to an extent, but whats in the brain is a bit more important (no that doesnt mean id go out with a butt ugly person). If I was given the choice between an average looking girl who was pleasent to talk to/be with or a stunning girl who was a complete dimwit and pretty obnoxious, id go for the average girl. The looks are really only important for snagging the date in the first place though. I mean why did this guy agree to go out with her if she wasnt good looking enough for him?

@MissHero: too true. I have seen many girls who I personally think are very attractive but then the friends Im with disagree.
Reply 42
I think at first physical attraction is more important, but afterwards it's personality.
Sorry to hear about your friend...not a nice way to break-up.
Reply 43
kam
I think at first physical attraction is more important, but afterwards it's personality.

:ditto:

You don't see a personality you see the face first (in most cases anyway), then learn what they are like afterwards...so appearance at first is important but after a few seconds personality takes over. :biggrin:
Reply 44
yes.... physical appearance for the intro... and the personality does the rest... if a woman was beautiful of course i would go near her.. but when i found out shes got bad personality... im leavin lol
Reply 45
Appearance and personality are difficult to compare in any meaningful way. Take two extremes. A person with no personality could be said to have ceased functioning mentally. A person with no looks could be said to have become extremely disfigured to the point of manifest deformity. Personality might be said to operate on a scale, from mental dullness to liveliness. Here we encounter the problem. Personality is not only about having the capacity to exhibit attributes, but exhibiting certain attributes. Therefore, although everyone has a personality, not all personalities are compatible. Appearance might be said to operate on a scale, from deformity to obvious beauty. No-one would go out with a person with no personality, but some people would engage in relations with a person with no looks. The body is simply the shell that the mind conducts itself through, thus personality is more important.
d_rea_m
random question, but my friend recently got dumped because (and her boyfriend told her this was the reason' she didn't match his 'look') her boyfriend found someone who was, in his eyes, prettier; and as you can imagine this lead to my friend being very "emotionally traumatised" (-her words not mine)

now i would have thought people wouldn't have taken looks that seriously, but apparently people do...

so to the guys (or girls for that matter) out there, are looks important when it comes to dating?

Physical attraction is important. Women do it to you know! I don't know any girl that will go out with a guy that they don't find attractve.
Reply 47
Logan
yes.... physical appearance for the intro... and the personality does the rest... if a woman was beautiful of course i would go near her.. but when i found out shes got bad personality... im leavin lol

Thanks for the rep, you're on the list...at the bottom right now...although technically before Kam as I can't rep him for 12 days...
half face
I don't mean that anyone can look good physically, because if you were beaten, you were beaten. You can't change your genes.

But you can make the most of yourself in other ways. For instance, wearing nice clothes that flatter you, or like you said, working out and getting a great body, or whatever. It may not totally compensate for being an ugly munter, but it will definitely help.

To a degree. Any improvement has to be a good thing, but some people will always have terrible, terrible faces.
MissHero
Don't forget that looks are subjective. However important they are, what is "good looking" to one person may not be to another. :wink:

Although this is true and there are varying tastes, generally the majority of people would agree on what is good looking, even if their tastes vary between Jessica Alba and Kelly Brook, or between Brad Pitt and David Beckham.

Equally, the majority would agree on what's ugly, even if some people happen to think that Dean Gaffney is uglier than Wayne Rooney, or that Lisa Riley is uglier than Rosie O'Donnell.
Reply 49
Looks can be important but i dont see y there is a 'type' if some1 asked me wat my type was id say well built , and normally (an unchavish) shaved head..... so wats with the last guy i liked having longish(for a guy) hair and bein really skinny ...sooo not my type ever, but he made me laugh till i cried n then that was it i liked him

I honestly think that half the time the people u didnt like wen u first met them ... u end up likin.... how can u have a type n say that the reason u dont like some1 .. if u click with sum1 u click with them ... no matter wat they look like

That guys an idiot for using that as an excuse

x
Reply 50
I'd say looks are important. However, if I found a woman extemely attractive, than later found out that she typed in text speak, I'd be turned right off.
I think your friend is better off without that idiot!

I've found that looks are important at the start of a relationship but then once I'd got to know the person then it didn't really matter too much what they looked like.

So yeah, they are important but I would never 'updrage' to a better model. Thats disgusting.
'upgrade' i meant!
Reply 53
half face
I hope you don't mind me asking, but what the hell is a brain stain? Is that some kind of euphemism or something? And why was it on his wall? :confused:

I don't mind at all.
A brain stain is a stain from a brain. In the literal sense. You get a brain out of a head and pout it on a wall. When you take it off it leaves a stain.
don't ask me why
Reply 54
Well yeh and even us girlies do it... we see a guy we like and were like :0 then we talk to umm abit find out what there like if we like um we go for it ... xx HOWEVER that guy who dumped ur friend sound s a ryteee knob I hope she got her own backxx
Reply 55
looks are very important, but look at it this way. i actually think it's easier to become great looking than to get a great personality. an average person can become HOT with a little plastic surgery, but it's pretty difficult to suddenly become wonderfully witty or very caring.
wilsonsamm
I don't mind at all.
A brain stain is a stain from a brain. In the literal sense. You get a brain out of a head and pout it on a wall. When you take it off it leaves a stain.
don't ask me why

how did that happen then?
Reply 57
it leaves a stain because of the brain juice. that is why.
Brain juice?

Do they sell that in cartons?
Reply 59
squigaletta
It is important but that guy is clearly a dick

*nod*

Latest

Trending

Trending